• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

NV 5600 rear output seal and bushing R&R

Ok, so I feel like I got burned by a cheap made in tiwan SKF output seal.

Synopsis of my issue:

02 4x2 quad cab nv 5600  217,000k

Tranny output seal started leaking and I had one bad u joint. All original equipment so I guess it's no surprise.   So I figured I'll just do everything, new output shaft seal, all new u-joints and center bearing, change the trans lube & install trans Quad 4x4 filter kit as well as a 1/8" weld bung on the drivers side pto cover for a temp probe.

Did all of the above, took for a 3 mile test drive & the output seal failed - popped out. Luckily didn't drive to far so I didn't lose all of the trans lube. Still quite a mess though.

So I started thinking, where did I go wrong? The old seal was a major pita to get out, but the new one seemed to go in easy. Maybe too easy. The new seal was skf, old one was OEM. Never had an issue with SKF before. I always thought they were top of the line. After the fail I looked at the skf box - made in taiwan. I got it from rockauto.  I usually try to avoid cheap parts but I Never gave this one a second thought assuming skf stuff is good.  In hindsight the skf is slightly different from oem - should have red flagged it there.

Ok, so I'm not going to waste any more time. I'm getting an oem seal but I'm wondering if I should take the extra step & replace the nv5600 rear output bushing?  Cant help wondering if a worn bushing could contribute to the previous seal fail.

Any suggestions or advice on changing out the output bushing? What are the symptoms of a worn bushing? Leaky seal? I don't have any vibration happening etc.  I know that the trans rear output housing must be removed to R&R the bushing, figure I could support the trans with a jack, I don't'  see a need to remove the trans do do this.

Thanks

I changed mine output seal because of a leak, and now it still drips very little not enough to worry about yet. But I did buy a bushing also and at last minute decided not to change it and just try the seal firs, we'll I should of did busing too. So if I was you I'd probably change the bushing also. I don't think they are hard once you figure it out. I heard that you can do it without taking tails shaft housing off but personally I would take it off and use a press. Make sure no burs are present anywhere, when installing bushing in housing and also inside the bushing. 

• Staff

Fast way to check if the rear trans bushing either auto or manual is with the trans in neutral and no load on the driveshaft grab the front yoke and push up and down on it.  If there is  any play then the bushing is worn.  With 217,000k on it I'd replace it with the seal.   

I wonder if NV 4500 bushing is the same as NV 5600 bushing?
 I've got the special tool to remove the bushing from NV 4500 transmission on 2x4wd.

Perhaps we could meet somewhere close and I could give you the tool I live in East Stroudsburg PA  but I do work in New Jersey.

9 hours ago, Chris O. said:

I wonder if NV 4500 bushing is the same as NV 5600 bushing?
 I've got the special tool to remove the bushing from NV 4500 transmission on 2x4wd.

Perhaps we could meet somewhere close and I could give you the tool I live in East Stroudsburg PA  but I do work in New Jersey.

Yes, the bushing and tool are the same for the NV4500 and NV5600.  Thanks for offering. PM Sent!

Ok, so based on IBMobile's advice, looking like I have very slight play when attempting to push up and down on the front yoke while truck is in neutral.

I looked into this a bit further, I'm not sure if I can remove and replace the nv5600 extension housing without first removing the trans from the truck.

It's looking to me like there are a lot of components and alignment pins related to reverse gear and countershaft which must line up with bore holes in  the extension housing on re-assembly - potentially difficult or impossible to do while the trans is in horizontal position?   The nv5600 service manual (avail here on mopar1973man downloads) indicates this transmission is serviced while standing it up vertically.

Has anyone removed the extension housing / replaced the output bushing while the trans remains in the truck?

If it's impossible, then I will just put an oem seal back in & deal with any minor leak until it's time for a clutch and just remove the trans and do everything at that time.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up.

Looking like it's not possible to remove the extention housing without first removing the NV5600 from the truck.

I replaced the output shaft seal with an OEM part and did not replace the output bushing. So far so good, not leaking. I overfilled the trans with pennzoil synchromesh (filled through top hole on the pto cover until dripping out).

On 6/21/2016 at 9:11 AM, Ironforger said:

Follow up.

Looking like it's not possible to remove the extention housing without first removing the NV5600 from the truck.

I replaced the output shaft seal with an OEM part and did not replace the output bushing. So far so good, not leaking. I overfilled the trans with pennzoil synchromesh (filled through top hole on the pto cover until dripping out).

Top center? How many quarts do you have in there total? Do you have coolers or filter on it? Reason I'm asking is I have a cooler on one side and filter on the other and have 7.5 to 8 quarts in mine and I'm to the top side hole of pto cover. 

On 6/22/2016 at 11:20 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Top center? How many quarts do you have in there total? Do you have coolers or filter on it? Reason I'm asking is I have a cooler on one side and filter on the other and have 7.5 to 8 quarts in mine and I'm to the top side hole of pto cover. 

Dieselfuture:  Honestly I'm not sure how many quarts total because I don't know how much lube I lost when the first seal popped out. Once I put the new seal in I just re-filled it through the top center PTO bolt hole until it started dripping out. I have one filter kit from quad 4x installed on the passenger side pto cover.

On 6/26/2016 at 4:40 PM, klcammie said:

Hey Ironforger where did you get the  pennzoil synchromesh ? It's getting time to change trans. fluid and that's what I want to use. Also liked 

Dieselfuture

asked how much to overfill?

klcammie: I got the pennzoil synchromesh from pep boys and advance auto parts.  See also my response to dieselfuture above.

• Like 1

Is it possibly leaking because of a groove on the yoke? I bought a NAPA seal and it's identical to  the oem seal.

put it in and i still have a slight leak. But mine is a 4x4.  i want to put a speedy sleeve on first and see what happens. 

Edited by BIG-BLACK-DODGE