• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

loss of overdrive when ac is turned on

On July 10, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

Before assembly I would clean the shaft/kick down shaft with sandpaper and brake clean before re-installing the valve body. This will prevent damage to the seal on the case. Transmission fluid look a bit darker than usual and discolored...

Ok so solenoid came in the mail today so I'm going to drop it again to change that soon... Not sure what you talking about here though.. This is the first time I've really dug into transmissions so  I'm kinda new to it  do I have to drop the valve body again to clean the shaft

Edited by t-stack

• Owner

The shaft that pokes out of the case that selects PRND21... That was really rusty looking in your picture I would of never push it back there the seal like that. Real pain in the rear to have to change that seal for gear selector shaft without pulling the transmission. 

Just make sure to clean the gear selector shaft and make it smooth before pushing through the seal again.

IMG_3756[1].PNG

ok so this morning i changed the torque converter solenoid.. that didnt fix it! torque converter still wont lock up! idk what else it could be. what are you guys thinkn?

On 7/13/2016 at 5:25 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

The shaft that pokes out of the case that selects PRND21... That was really rusty looking in your picture I would of never push it back there the seal like that. Real pain in the rear to have to change that seal for gear selector shaft without pulling the transmission. 

Just make sure to clean the gear selector shaft and make it smooth before pushing through the seal again.

IMG_3756[1].PNG

got it .. it was more less just dirty.. but i did sand it an clean it up real nice and checked the seal.. seal looked good!!

• Owner
33 minutes ago, t-stack said:

ok so this morning i changed the torque converter solenoid.. that didnt fix it! torque converter still wont lock up! idk what else it could be. what are you guys thinkn?

Ok... Any error codes?

Here is the transmission wiring...

Automatic Transmission System (Page 1) wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

You might want to look over that orange/black wire for torque converter control. Also look at the fuse and relay in the PDC. These are what supplies power for the transmission. The PCM only provides the ground to lock it up.

Automatic Transmission System (Page 2) wiring map 1999 Dodge Ram

Edited by Mopar1973Man

i dont have a code reader but everything looks normal on the dash.   just went over the wire connections and everything looks great!

could this be the result of just a bad torque converter all in all?

should i take it to a transmission shop and see what they say?

• Owner
9 minutes ago, t-stack said:

i dont have a code reader but everything looks normal on the dash.

Doesn't mean there isn't an error code in memory. There is several error codes that can be tripped and not display the check engine light. 

10 minutes ago, t-stack said:

just went over the wire connections and everything looks great!

Did you ohm out the wires from end to end checking for 0-5 ohm? Also, ohm from wire to ground and you should see inifinite ohms this shows none of the wires are shorted to ground. This is a good wire. Double check to see if there is 12V at the transmission on the RED wire with the key ON. 

12 minutes ago, t-stack said:

could this be the result of just a bad torque converter all in all?

Possible... I would talk to @Dynamic for ways of verifying the torque converter.

19 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Did you ohm out the wires from end to end checking for 0-5 ohm? Also, ohm from wire to ground and you should see inifinite ohms this shows none of the wires are shorted to ground. This is a good wire. Double check to see if there is 12V at the transmission on the RED wire with the key ON.

my fluke multimeter  didnt fit in the connector down at the transmission but i checked it at the connecter between the computer and the transmission and my meter read OL. the whole time ... forgive me and my stupidity when it comes to electrical things... ha 

• Owner
8 hours ago, t-stack said:

my fluke multimeter  didnt fit in the connector down at the transmission

That's is simple fix. Take a small piece of small gauge (18 or 22 awg) wire strip it back and now insert into the socket. Now you can touch the wire and test. 

8 hours ago, t-stack said:

and my meter read OL. the whole time

Basically open circuit or no connection. Fluke is displaying OverLoad (OL). If you touch the probes together that should show 0 ohms. 

• Staff

If the fuse, relay and wires (ohm and volt test) are good and a new solenoid installed, I'd put in a mystery switch and bypass the PCM and force the lockup. If that doesn't make it lock up then it's probably a bad torque converter clutch or low pressure to the clutch. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I think your getting scammed... Contact our site transmission guru and talk to him. I really doubt the entire transmission need rebuilt. Got nothing to lose in talking to Jon.

yeah they said its throwing some codes- didnt tell me what the codes were- and they would clear them then they would come right back!  they said its something internaly in the trans that the couldnt diagnose without tearing into the transmission. so either rebuild- which im not doing- or replace!

how do i contact him??

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

This is my mystery switch setup:

1, a momentary switch in the shifter handle, the torque convertor lock will disengaged when brake peddle is applied

2, a lock up switch on the floor(toggle switch) with no disengagement of torque convertor when brake peddle is applied

3, an annunciator light in the A post next to the trans temp gauge that illuminates when system is on.

58bf7bac66cd2_revised001.jpg.52d51da41ff3f4fc41813bf66f3d8c65.jpg

• Like 3