• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Edge comp, mild injectors, fuel mileage

Hey guys,

so I've had my edge comp for a little while now and I'm starting to experiment with settings for fuel mileage. I also have 75hp injectors. On 3x5 I got 17.5 over the course of a week. Then I tried 5x2 because of what Mike said in the past about 5x5 being best, but I had to use 5x2 to keep smoke in check. I will be filling up today, but so far it looks like I got right about the same for mileage. Shouldn't I have gotten better? My route and driving style didn't change....

I also read some really old threads on other forums that were talking about unplugging the wire tap to get less fuel and more timing at the higher levels. Is this something I should try? 

Anyone with a similar setup to mine have any recomendations? 

I should also add that I'm hoping to get some new injectors in the near future. My truck came with the BD diesel 75hp that are in it now and I haven't heard the greatest things about them. I'm thinking RV275s for my next ones unless anyone can recomended something they think is better....

Edited by leathermaneod

I got a qwadzilla and it has level one which is all timing and considered to be for best mpg, that's why I don't understand why you'd get better mpg by fooling iat to think it's hot out 143f which retards timing. But my guess is if you drive 55mph with that 143f fooler on and use your edge on higher level you might see better mpg. But if you go much faster then 55 then you might as well turn fueling off and go for all timing. If I drive 55 60 I get around 20 21 mpg and it don't seem to matter what level I'm on. But if I go 65 70 and use any power levels my mpg goes down because of wind and constant boost. So if I go faster I use level 1 for timing if empty, and if towing I use whatever level feels good for power and just wach egts. Also with bigger injectors your timing is more advanced but not by much, injector would dump fuel In faster when open. But I'll let someone else explain that part.

• Like 1

You can try it, but it comes more down to driving style than edge settings. The edge just squeezes the last little bit of mileage out.

As for injectors, RV275's are good. DAP also makes quality injectors.

• Like 1

• Owner

MPG is based how fine of a mist you can spray with the nozzle size you select. Make it more interesting is being able to burn as much as possible at very low boost pressures (less than 5 PSI). So this emphasizes more so on nozzle quality. So if you getting injectors I would highly suggest you have the pop tested and flow match for the batch you purchase. Now just 6 random injectors pull off the shelf and stuff in a box.

• Like 1

What is big vs small though? I mean I've seen the 7x.012 for example, but is that big or small?

6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

MPG is based how fine of a mist you can spray with the nozzle size you select. Make it more interesting is being able to burn as much as possible at very low boost pressures (less than 5 PSI). So this emphasizes more so on nozzle quality. So if you getting injectors I would highly suggest you have the pop tested and flow match for the batch you purchase. Now just 6 random injectors pull off the shelf and stuff in a box.

Will dap or Vulcan test and match them for you when you buy them?

• Owner

Basically 7 holes with each hole being 0.012" in size. So it would be fairly large nozzle. So like 5 x 0.012 would be the same size holes but only 5 holes which ends up being smaller. I've seen every thing from 5 to 7 holes so far but holes sizes could vary greatly. In the past it was rated on approximate HP gains now its mostly how may holes and how big.

Tidbit to help..

http://www.wattsshopperformance.com/Injector_sizes.html

• Owner
9 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

What is big vs small though? I mean I've seen the 7x.012 for example, but is that big or small?

Only if you specify you want it done. Of course there might be added price because of this... Other than that 6 random injectors typically go in a box.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

19 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

7x.012 is big. That's ~ 250hp

There is also a difference between sac and vco nozzles. Typically sac flows more, so the same size holes flow just a bit more fuel.

I'd go right around where you're at with a vco nozzle, or drop to 50's.

http://dieselautopower.com/diesel-auto-power-50hp-performance-injectors-7x0-008-vco-vp7x8vco/

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Only if you specify you want it done. Of course there might be added price because of this... Other than that 6 random injectors typically go in a box.

DAP does it on all sets. At least that's what Jacob said.

• Like 2

Thanks for that link Mike, great info there! I guess I will be giving dap and Vulcan a call to compare prices and recomendations sometime in the near future.

TFaoro, on the set in your link, it asks if you want new bodies or not, would you get them built with new bodies?

I had some 8 hole 75 hp and they were better In mpg then the 60hp I got now, also they were a bit cleaner but not much. Not sure of manufacture but they were bosch bodies with aftermarket noziles. And holes were tiny but had 8 now I got 7 hole from DAP. So far no complaints except had some misunderstanding on their part but they kind of made it right. I'm over it now. 

Just now, Me78569 said:

dont forget DFI for builder,  I cannot stress how clean my 7 x.009 ( 100's ) are down in Iowa.  I can literally put the pedal to the floor from a stop and have 0 smoke output.

How is your mileage? Is that with your quad and he351 turbo?

Quad set to 0 and the he351 ( but my turbo tuning was much less advanced than It is now), if I set to the quad to kill I get hazing if I floor it from a stop.

My mileage is ~22  at 60 mph with the heavy tires I have.  

Edited by Me78569

1 hour ago, leathermaneod said:

Thanks for that link Mike, great info there! I guess I will be giving dap and Vulcan a call to compare prices and recomendations sometime in the near future.

TFaoro, on the set in your link, it asks if you want new bodies or not, would you get them built with new bodies?

I wouldn't worry about new bodies. Bodies don't really go bad, just the nozzle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

dont forget DFI for builder,  I cannot stress how clean my 7 x.009 ( 100's ) are down in Iowa.  I can literally put the pedal to the floor from a stop and have 0 smoke output.

Where in Iowa are they

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Quad set to 0 and the he351 ( but my turbo tuning was much less advanced than It is now), if I set to the quad to kill I get hazing if I floor it from a stop.

My mileage is ~22  at 60 mph with the heavy tires I have.  

Do you ever use level 1 for max mileage and why