• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

7 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

oh ok gotcha! no nvm on the pics. When you said the donaldson filters, i thought you meant different filter heads too. forgot you had an airdog. why is your truck on stands?

Front brakes were getting thin. When I got it apart I noticed the right front u joint was toast. Not sure about the left yet but will do it any way. They are the oe joints.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

@JAG1do you have any recommendations on what filter to add to the stock canister? and how to mount it?

I have the older AD100 lift pump on the frame, 1/2'' lines all the way, no banjos. My filter is a Racor 30 micron 90 gph water separating filter that has the clear plastic bowl on the bottom. It's mounted before the lift pump to protect it from sediment and a swing away protection plate under the bottom of the filter.

Wanted to add that the Racor has the filters specifically for the suction side of the system.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

I'm thinking about making a bracket to mount one of the universal 2 micron filter/water separators in place of the stock filter canister. Not sure if something like this would fit there. http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP-MAX-Dual-Remote-Filter-Kit-p/drff.htm

or this

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=FW1220-TFK

Edited by leathermaneod

59 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

oh ok, good luck with the job! will you do the joints yourself? or get them pressed by a shop?

did the right on last night myself. I have a ball joint press that worked just fine after I found something to use for a receiver cup. My set had nothing deep enough. They were in pretty darn tight but came out ok. The new one went in in a quarter of the time it took to get the old one out.

• Like 1

• Staff
1 hour ago, leathermaneod said:

I'm thinking about making a bracket to mount one of the universal 2 micron filter/water separators in place of the stock filter canister. Not sure if something like this would fit there. http://www.vulcanperformance.com/VP-MAX-Dual-Remote-Filter-Kit-p/drff.htm

or this

I like the first set up. I would mount it on the frame before the lift pump, save the oem filter for a redundant filter just before the vp. The big filters help look out for the smaller sister filter. Keep from premature clogging. Only reason I say this that the world class ocean going yachts where lives at sea are dependant on the diesel engines always protect the lift pump with primary filtration.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Only issue with that is, if I remember correctly, Richard at GDP, told me not to run a filter before the Fuel Boss to prevent cavitation. I sent an email to him asking for his opinion on this though, so we'll see what he says. Worst case, I'd have to mount it on the frame like you said, and run lines from the tank to the fuel boss, then back to the filter, then up to the engine. Lots of plumbing, but that may be what it takes if I want extra filters....I'll know more once richard replies. Any particular reason you like the Vulcan over the Glacier?

Edited by leathermaneod

or this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016DU1FMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1466965456&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=wix+24770&dpPl=1&dpID=41bErVqZ-CL&ref=plSrch

I'm using this filter base bolted to the frame for a pre filter/water seperator. Easy to plumb in and tons of filter options. 

• Staff
3 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Only issue with that is, if I remember correctly, Richard at GDP, told me not to run a filter before the Fuel Boss to prevent cavitation. I sent an email to him asking for his opinion on this though, so we'll see what he says. Worst case, I'd have to mount it on the frame like you said, and run lines from the tank to the fuel boss, then back to the filter, then up to the engine. Lots of plumbing, but that may be what it takes if I want extra filters....I'll know more once richard replies. Any particular reason you like the Vulcan over the Glacier?

Why can't the set up be simple plumbing? fuel tank---primary filter-- lift pump---------secondary oem filter-- vp44.

In my case it's fuel tank--ball shut off valve--primary filter-- lift pump-- ball shut off valve------- secondary oem filter-- vp44.

I put 1/2'' shut off valves so I can replace filter or liftpump without a lot of prime loss.

One more benefit about the oem filter is as the lift pump wears there is a small amount of fine wear particles that it will remove before getting to the vp.

9 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Why can't the set up be simple plumbing? fuel tank---primary filter-- lift pump---------secondary oem filter-- vp44.

In my case it's fuel tank--ball shut off valve--primary filter-- lift pump-- ball shut off valve------- secondary oem filter-- vp44.

I put 1/2'' shut off valves so I can replace filter or liftpump without a lot of prime loss.

One more benefit about the oem filter is as the lift pump wears there is a small amount of fine wear particles that it will remove before getting to the vp.

That would be awesome if I can do that. I'm going to double check with Rich, but I think he said the Fuel Boss wouldn't like having to pull through any restrictive filters....

• Staff

Oh yes... I understand now.... Fuel Boss has to be powered up in the front off belt drive. Duh... I think that pump is a lot more tolerant of unfiltered fuel than our elect. units are.

I.m sorry I miss understood what you are doing there.

Gosh! they should demote me down to office janitor.

Edited by JAG1

lol no problem. Yeah that is one thing that sucks about the Fuel Boss.....thats why I was originally thinking of something that could mount in place of, or near the factory fuel filter. Something like this would work well, except for the fact that it would crowd that area even more 

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/product.aspx?pf_id=MK20305-APPS

that is kind of my general idea though. That or plumbing all the way back under the truck again...

How vulnerable is the Fuel boss to dirtiy fuel? We know the VP needs clean fuel but what does the FB need to be safe. I believe the factory canister has options to filter enough for the VP. Just dont want to overthink this deal. 

• Staff

Sorry I forgot to clarify that. Richard told me the FB will handle anything thrown at it in terms of dirt. I'm not trying to protect the FB, I was looking for a way to add better filtration and water separation for the vp. 

That is a good rule that way the smaller oem filter does not ever get  over whelmed or clogged in a hurry.

I currently don't have my OEM filter hooked up and am just running the filters on the FASS 150 system. I'd like to throw an inline filter in between the tank and the FASS and then another in between the FASS and the VP, any suggestions?

That is how the filters work on the Fass system. The larger micron filter and water separator to protect the pump and the smaller micron filter to protect the VP. If you want another filter before the VP just run the fuel thru the oe canister. 

• Staff
13 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Sorry I forgot to clarify that. Richard told me the FB will handle anything thrown at it in terms of dirt. 

I think Dave uses one for a macerator on his rv.:lol3:

In all seriousness, I think its a good thing trying to get the twin filters on there. In trying to think of an area that would save extra plumbing but, can't see it unless you do go back behind the trans somewhere. Also think it important to get filtering after the fuel boss since it will be throwing small wear particles into the fuel as it ages.

10 hours ago, dripley said:

That is how the filters work on the Fass system. The larger micron filter and water separator to protect the pump and the smaller micron filter to protect the VP. If you want another filter before the VP just run the fuel thru the oe canister. 

So really there's not a huge need to add extra filtration on the FASS systems?

• Staff

Okay.......... just did some research on the fuel boss... turns out the regulator gets clogged with dirt without a filter in front of it. So I would be looking for a way to install the prefilter. I would not worry about cavitation since the industry standard for a pre lift pump filter is definatly needed.