• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New toy!! Could use some pointers from the hotrodders

So I am getting a new project added to the rest of them. My old man is giving up a 1978 Olds Cutlass Supreme. Car is in pretty good shape apart from its been sitting for the last 20 years. I have a mild Chevy 350 small block to put in it. 1st gen block, corvette 2.02 heads, Edlebrock high-rise intake, mild cam, etc. I have a couple things I could use some help on if there is anyone with experience in the area.

First off, the car still has the factory Olds small block V8 in it. Skipped a couple teeth on the timing chain and dont really want to mess with it. Is there a problem with taking the Olds out and putting the Chevy in? Will the motor mounts and accessories and stuff go back on easily? Will the transmission bolt up?

Next, I would like to go with some kind of a performance ignition system including distributor, coil, module, etc. What brand would you guys go with? MSD? Mallory? And... When I do get the system, do I get it to match the car? Or the engine?

On an engine set up like this, what size carb should I start with? 700CFM? I am not sure how much this thing is going to flow or how much fuel it will need. The car will just be a street car and daily driver type.

I am sure I will have more questions but this will get me started.

Thanks!!

No idea on compatibility.  I am a mopar guy. 

For ignition, it depends on how much work you want to do.  MSD is the best, but the factory system is likely just fine with some parts added.  You get the system to match the engine, not the car.  Make sure you get the right cam gear if there is a distributor gear on the end of the distributor.  Some cams require different gear materials.  

Depending on the manifold you have on the 350, you can pick a square or spread bore carb.  A 600cfm Edelbrock Performer would likely do fine.  http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/carburetors/performer.shtml

Edited by CSM
  • Like 2

Small block chevy will pretty much bolt directly in place of the olds engine no issue with trans, Go with a 600 cfm Edelbrock carb for a mild small block and it will be perfect. Factory Hei ignition with a different coil and or module would work fine, I don't think there are any bad options out there any more.

• Like 1

Ditto on the factory hei distributor for the small block Chevy. They are a drop in and go self contained unit, with a simple 1 wire hook up. The 600 cfm carb would probably be sufficient for a mildly built engine, considering you have a mild over stock cam ( RV cam} and a high rise manifold. 

Are you running any accessory off your engine? Like a/c or power steering, if do look for brackets pertaining to the Chevy because I'm sure the olds brackets won't bolt up to the Chevy, probably going to be some modifications but doable. 

Thanks for all the tips. This outta get me going in the right direction. I would like to run the alternator and AC compressor at some point so I will have to find some brackets to fit everything. Might check around the junk yards for stuff like that. 

The car still has the factory 3 speed auto in it. If it were you what would you do with that? Leave it alone? Shift kit? Torque converter? I would like to eventually find something with an OD to put in so I can cruise. 

• Owner
8 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

There are Lockup converters and VB mods to support the lockup converter for the old 3 speed autos and are very easy to do.

Curious... I like to see this explained. Sounds awesome for the older car guys than want a touch of modern transmission abilities.

In all reality personally I would just go with a built 700R4 trans with OD but for the guys who do not want to do driveline work and like the 3 speed trannies adding the lockup clutch and VB kit is a great improvement for a lot better fuel mileage and keeping the tranny temps down a lot too on the older rigs.

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Curious... I like to see this explained. Sounds awesome for the older car guys than want a touch of modern transmission abilities.

Chevy guys only. 

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:cry: Mopar Man isn't allowed... :cry:

I feel ya.  LSx crate motors are cheap.  New hemis arent by comparison.  

Ive been dreaming about heads for a 340 again, and there are only two castings that will work for me.  and, both are pricey.

The 350 transmission is 21-3/4" long and its one-piece case is cast of aluminum alloy. It features an integral bellhousing. The TH350 weighs 120 lbs. It has a distinctive oil pan that is chamfered at the passenger side, rear corner. At the right rear of the case is the modulator.

The TH350-C was the lockup torque converter version introduced in the late 1979 model year, and was produced through 1984. This later version had an electronic lock-up converter to increase fuel-efficiency at cruising speeds. The TH350-C lockup version can be identified by an electrical plug on the left side of the transmission. When paired with an aftermarket TCC control unit, these can be desirable transmissions, and up to 10% more efficient at cruising speeds.

The conventional TH350 had part codes of M33, M38 & M39. The TH350C had codes of MV4, MX2, MX3 & MX5.

There were downsized derivatives of the TH350, designated TH200, TH200C, TH250, TH250C &

Below is a fancy controller companies have now, the ones I did were a simple on off switch like some do on our cummins one had to be on top of things and remember to switch it off before slowing down too far.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-70244/overview/

• Like 1

the turbo 350 trans can be built to handle about 500 hp. but then agian so can a 700R4.

it's should be a bolt in replacement.

as for parts get them for the engine year not car year.

as for a carb, i'm not really a fan of the edelbrock's they get crap for mileage. but they are easy to tune. i'd rather a good well tuned Qjet any day. get a good vacuum gauge and tune it the right way.

all my older 80's style chevy trucks with the edelbrock would only get 10 mpg and with the Q-jet id get 15-18. i always got the M4MED  for the electric choke.

The QJet is a large 4 barrel carburetor that has a small primary side for fuel economy and good emissions and a large secondary side for good performance.  QJets have a maximum airflow of from 750-800 cfm. Because the secondary side of the Qjet opens according to the airflow requirements of the engine, the same basic carburetor size can be used on a large range of engine sizes. The basic 750 cfm QJet casting is used from 231 CID to over 400 CID - the big secondary air valves open only as the engine breathes. For example, on a mild 350 Chevy the air valve will never open all the way - because the motor can't use more than 600 cfm or so. 

They can also be fitted with a vacuum actuator to up the idle at AC activation to help cool the AC and keep engine from running to low of an RPM.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2016 at 9:48 PM, Ilikeoldfords said:

Thanks for all the tips. This outta get me going in the right direction. I would like to run the alternator and AC compressor at some point so I will have to find some brackets to fit everything. Might check around the junk yards for stuff like that. 

The car still has the factory 3 speed auto in it. If it were you what would you do with that? Leave it alone? Shift kit? Torque converter? I would like to eventually find something with an OD to put in so I can cruise. 

If you have the old style 2.02 heads (camel back) make sure they have the holes drilled in front to accept brackets, many of the old styles like from the sixties did not. the only accessory they ran was an alternator, and they used the exaust manifold for mounting the alternator bracket. the rest like a/c and power steering was not really an option on some of the old muscle cars.

A 700 R4 would be a good option if you are looking for overdrive, its also a popular trans because of the lower first gear compared to the 350. it will just cost a little more, and probably have to have the driveline shortened.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...