• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Travel trailer newbie!

6 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

Unless the control arms are considerably longer on the 2nd gen I cannot imagine why there wouldn't be change. The ride change is from the angle of the control arms being steeper with a  lift and stock arms. 

Different spring rates on the 2nd gens making them stiffer no matter what? 

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I said the same thing to as a possible cause of the tail squatting. Now you have to remember he's got that heavy flat bed on the bad it much heavier than the stock bed too. I had him scale the truck last spring and it was like 8,9xx or 9,0xx pound truck roughly empty.

Heavy but nothing crazy. I come into the scales at 8400ish most of the time, so he doesn't have enough to make his RAW that heavy. 

3 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

Different spring rates on the 2nd gens making them stiffer no matter what? 

Possible, but the angle of the control arm should still make a difference. 

Edited by AH64ID

42 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I did the 1" spacer to begin with. Ride didn't changes. I then changed to the 2" spacer and ride didn't change again. Maybe it helps on the 3rd gens to be lower?? 

I'm going to keep my 2" and put bags on the rear to stay level. I usually don't have enough in the rear to squat the truck too much. 

Only reason I'm looking to go with the 1in is to be as close to stock as possible and avoid needing bags. I don't mind either look (stock rake vs level) but I'd prefer more rake then level especially when towing. 

Do you have to remove the shock to put new coil spacers on? Or just jack up the body and get a spring compressor and swap the spacers and call it a day?

Edited by notlimah

• Owner

Unmodified suspension, but perfect level for towing. This is why I typically will not suggest any leveling kits because a heavy trailer will automatically pull the nose up even on a stock suspension. So if you using a leveling kit then it always going to be possible to have a squatting truck. 

Like comparing to @Taz truck to mine I'm 3/4 ton towing 1,000 pounds more without any leveling kit. He's a 1 ton truck and 2" leveling kit and it squatting with light load little utility trailer. 

2q2mlqd.jpg

0819161314a.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

17 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Only reason I'm looking to go with the 1in is to be as close to stock as possible and avoid needing bags. I don't mind either look (stock rake vs level) but I'd prefer more rake then level especially when towing. 

Do you have to remove the shock to put new coil spacers on? Or just jack up the body and get a spring compressor and swap the spacers and call it a day?

Unhook both sides of the sway bar, unhook the track bar, remove the shocks and shock towers, then lift the frame far enough you can get the springs out. The spacer should fall out with it. Then do the reverse. Much easier if you remove the tires to  drop the axle too. 

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Unmodified suspension, but perfect level for towing. This is why I typically will not suggest any leveling kits because a heavy trailer will automatically pull the nose up even on a stock suspension. So if you using a leveling kit then it always going to be possible to have a squatting truck. 

Like comparing to @Taz truck to mine I'm 3/4 ton towing 1,000 pounds more without any leveling kit. He's a 1 ton truck and 2" leveling kit and it squatting with light load little utility trailer. 

2q2mlqd.jpg

0819161314a.jpg

Do you have a weight distribution hitch for your camper? Most of campers I see have them. 

• Staff

Here is a reference. Low miles on the truck and 0 psi in the airbags. 2" level up front and approx 2,750 lb pallet putting the RAW around 5,500lbs and I wasn't quite on the overload perches. 

I will say that I have noticed that my airbags are keeping my springs much more springy vs my brothers lighter, but same spring pack, 2500 Hemi. He sags much easier and rides lower when empty. So I would say that use of airbags extends the life of springs. 

IMG_3536.jpg

Edited by AH64ID