• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power steering fluid filter

Hey all,

Now that I have all new/reman power steering system components, I'm wondering if I would benefit from throwing in an inline filter? I've heard of the Magnafine before. Are they good? What are you guys using if you have PS fluid filter and where should I place it?

• Staff

Power steering fluid flows under high pressure to and through the hydro boost to the power steering gear. When the brake peddle is applied the spool valve moves to allow pressurized PS fluid into the power chamber and still maintain pressurized fluid to the steering gear. The spool valve moves only about ¼" and very little PS fluid flows through it to the return line and back to the PS reservoir. If the return line from the hydro boost is blocked the brakes will self apply while the brake peddle is free.  If the PS gear return line to the PS reservoir is blocked the pressure in the system will increase until the pressure relief valve opens.  There will still be pressure to the hydro boost.  

• Staff

It depends on how you tap into the return  line. If the filter is after the T for the brake/steering return and it plugs your brakes will be effected, until they blow the low pressure return line off. Even then if flow thru the hydroboost is restricted, as it would be with a steering return blockage, your brakes will be effected. 

I don't think it's really that big of a concern and just pointing out a plugged return will effect the operation of a hydraulic system. It's the reason many return filters have bypass valves while pressure filter don't in redundant systems.

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff
10 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Do you have a part number for that? And do you know the size of the lines? 3/8?

part #R038M-P   ⅜" line

http://www.magnefinefilters.com/Magnefine-3-8-Magnetic-Inline-Power-Steering-Filter-R038M-P.htm

7 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Here's another question, is there any reason to think the autozone version wouldn't work just fine? It looks just like the magnefine....

I couldn't find the Autozone filter you've mention but just because they look the same doesn't mean they're the same inside.

Thanks for the reply! Here is a link to the autozone one. http://www.autozone.com/filters-and-pcv/power-steering-filter/cardone-reman-power-steering-filter/13909_865379_0/

I understand that they may not be the same inside, just like the idea of being able to run to autozone and pick on up for $10 rather than having to order.

You're probably right, but I need a filter on everything!!!  I'm working on a battery acid filter as we speak. :lol2:

As far as how to plumb it in:

Diagrams.png

Stolen from here: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/94-98-non-powertrain/1881330-d89s-holiday-hydroboost-hullabaloo.html

Edited by Cowboy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 7:26 PM, leathermaneod said:

I understand that they may not be the same inside, just like the idea of being able to run to autozone and pick on up for $10 rather than having to order.

I'm getting ready to do a power steering flush and add a filter.  Did you use the autozone filter or have any problems.