• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

fuel filter canister leaking on a wire port

so after having surging for a month or two after startup, I finally found my air leak.  problem is, its on the top where the two wires come into. how do i fix that? can i pull the rubber boot off of it and replace it? then re solder the wire on the inside? is there a special type of solder to use? i dont want to solder it and the stuff comes off and goes into the IP, ( not good at soldering) or am I screwed and im buying a new one, is there anyway that i could block it off> what does the wires do exactly on this.... i grabbed a pic offline to show where its at.

ll.jpg

Hmmm I'm not sure how that works as I have the updated style.

I do have one off of an 05 CR laying around if you'd like to buy it. We can see if the plugs will work in your truck. Other than replacing it maybe some silicone around the top. That would only be a temporary fix though.

I might take you up on it, I'm not sure what that wiring harness is, I know the one on the bottom is the water deal? I also half the big line kit on mine so it would have to work with it. I have put high tack gasket seal on it to see what it does, it's hit and miss now but I still don't like the idea of having a air leak in my fuel system. Is the 05 better then the 24 valve setup? 

The 05 is almost the exact same as the late 24V. It's got a canister style filter that comes out the top with a plastic cap. I've had zero issues with mine thus far. I think they are liked more than the early 24V style, which you have.

The two plugs are a heater and a water in fuel sensor.

Edited by TFaoro

• Staff

Looks like what you need to do is just reseal the area where the wires go through.  I'd try this: clean thoroughly and clean again the area in question with brake clean and acetone, you want any fuel, oil and grease gone, rough surface with sand paper for better bond.  Coat with J-B Weld.   Sets in 4-6 hr and cures in 15-24 hr.  There's J-B®  Kwick Weld that sets in 6 minutes and cures in 4-6 hr.

Edited by IBMobile

11 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That is your fuel heater. I would not suggest losing it either being your just north of me in Moscow, ID.

Then I'm definitely keeping it, that wouldn't be good to get rid off . 

4 hours ago, tbo1450 said:

Jb weld will def. seal it. I had the same style fuel filter . Mine was leaking fuel from one of the test ports. I jb welded it, ran her for a month until I got a fass. 

I just picked up some jb weld, now I have to get the other stuff off before I can do it