• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re randoms ?'s

Looking to re-torque my trans oil pan bolts but I keep finding different numbers. Looks like the FSM calls for 125in.lbs but looking through some other threads on this people recommend going slightly above that? Just looking for what you guys would recommend.

Also, looking to change the fluid in the rear diff. I have a dana 70 with the LSD metal tab on one of the bolts. FSM calls for 3.4l but I've heard overfilling is ok/better? That true? Also what type of fluid should I go with in the rear?

• Owner
1 hour ago, notlimah said:

Also, looking to change the fluid in the rear diff. I have a dana 70 with the LSD metal tab on one of the bolts. FSM calls for 3.4l but I've heard overfilling is ok/better? That true? Also what type of fluid should I go with in the rear?

You have to use the synthetic 85w-140 GL-5 gear lube in the rear. The front you can use standard 80w-90 or the same synthetic. Preferred to get the gear lube with friction modifier already in it. I typically over fill my diff's by 2-3 extra pumps on the barrel pump. Then quickly stuff the plug back in.

1 hour ago, notlimah said:

Looks like the FSM calls for 125in.lbs but looking through some other threads on this people recommend going slightly above that?

Personally, I would stick with the FSM value. 120 inch/pounds is 10 foot/pounds. At the most I would go up to 12 foot pounds but watching the gasket don't want to crush the pan excessively or the gasket creating a leak. 

• Like 1

Thanks Mike. I was thinking of backing in my driveway putting the truck downwards in hopes of getting more fluid in the rear. Do you just run Walmart stuff in your diff?

I guess I'll stick with the FSM recommendations.

• Owner
7 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Do you just run Walmart stuff in your diff?

Actually, I buy 5 gallon buckets of Mobil Gear lube 85w-90 GL-5 for the axles. The last batch is from Grangeville, ID at Jacobs Oil. My next batch will most likely be from NAPA. Being I've got an account with them I get a mild discount. 

https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NON75213/NON75213_0007744288

Walmart is a 250 miles round trip. Napa is a 70 mile round trip. Which is cheaper...?

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Never had any trouble out of mine other than a leaky seal. I never intentionally overfilled mine but did fill till it ran out the filler hole. I did once have the front diff puke oil out the vent tube on the fender and ruin my air filter. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys so I got some diff fluid today. I was just planning doing the rear for now as I don't use 4x4 often (especially during the summer) and I was in a bit of a rush and this is what I got

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Will I be ok just using the valvoline? If it does slip can I just add the lsd fluid?! I can always just return it and get 80w-90 with the additive already in there, but just looking for your guys thoughts on it.

Yea I'm not doubting that it has the additive in it, just curious if I use it and I still do get some chatter, can I just put the additive in? Only reason I'm thinking that I s because I've read some people having those issues using this stuff.