• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Tuning out smoke

I had my truck tuned pretty good with the stock injectors and would only lightly haze at WOT. Now that I've added 5x.012 injectors I smoke like a freight train from 1/2 throttle on up with the stock HX35. My question is how much smoke can I expect to tune out without loosing too much performance? Is it just going to be smokey until I upgrade the turbo or should I be able to clean it up pretty good?

• Staff

I'm not all that versed on a 12V. How much tuning can you even do??

For bigger injectors on a common rail I would slightly decrease the throttle sensitivity and retard the timing at low rpms/fuel and increase the timing a little at higher rpms/flow... 

Not sure if that is even possible on a 12V. 

How much boost are you making when it starts to smoke?

Edited by AH64ID

I would start by tightening the star wheel up till it gets to where it doesn't smoke at full throttle and gives good throttle response as the boost comes up, if once you get the smoke tuned out it seems like it needs to fuel quicker to full throttle you'll need to put a softer spring in with the statement.

Bumping your timing up to 15 or 16 degrees would help too since you have bigger injectors now.

What's your boost get up to now?

Edited by bjytech
  • Like 1

I don't have working boost or egt gauges at the moment, the glowshift junk that was in the truck when I bought it took crap on me awhile back. I'll be ordering some Autometer gauges shortly so I can see what's going on. 

Before the gauges broke I set my wastegate to open at ~32 psi and haven't touched it since. 

Once I get my gauges in I'll start adjusting the starwheel, plate, and pre boost screw.

As far as how much they can be tuned, this is full throttle from 1200 RPM with an HX35 and 5x13's.

(I would recommend 480P minimum).

I found I needed a stronger AFC spring, so I took a stock GSK spring and through it in the AFC, it took a little shimming to get them to act correctly, but the result is as you see in the video, fairly controllable.

What wastegate modification have you done?  With your current fueling configuration, you could easily be out flowing the stock wastegate.  If it were me, I would adjust the fuel plate back till there's only a haze at WOT until you can get the gauges in.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

As far as how much they can be tuned, this is full throttle from 1200 RPM with an HX35 and 5x13's.

(I would recommend 480P minimum).

I found I needed a stronger AFC spring, so I took a stock GSK spring and through it in the AFC, it took a little shimming to get them to act correctly, but the result is as you see in the video, fairly controllable.

What wastegate modification have you done?  With your current fueling configuration, you could easily be out flowing the stock wastegate.  If it were me, I would adjust the fuel plate back till there's only a haze at WOT until you can get the gauges in.

I don't go over half throttle right now and go easy on it to keep the smoke down, I do plan on moving the plate back some this weekend though. It's good to see that these injectors can be tamed without the need for a larger turbo.

Here's what all has been done to the truck.

Contagious Diesel 5x.012 VCO 280 bar injectors, stock HX35 with boost elbow set @ 32 psi, 4 1/2" down pipe to 5" stacks, 100 plate, timing set to 16°, Mighty Diesel head bolts.

12 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I'm not all that versed on a 12V. How much tuning can you even do??

For bigger injectors on a common rail I would slightly decrease the throttle sensitivity and retard the timing at low rpms/fuel and increase the timing a little at higher rpms/flow... 

Not sure if that is even possible on a 12V. 

How much boost are you making when it starts to smoke?

There's actually quite a bit of tuning that can be done, it's just time consuming since all the adjustments are mechanical.

3 hours ago, bjytech said:

I would start by tightening the star wheel up till it gets to where it doesn't smoke at full throttle and gives good throttle response as the boost comes up, if once you get the smoke tuned out it seems like it needs to fuel quicker to full throttle you'll need to put a softer spring in with the statement.

Bumping your timing up to 15 or 16 degrees would help too since you have bigger injectors now.

What's your boost get up to now?

Timing is already bumped to 16°. Don't have a boost gauge at the moment but will soon.

12 hours ago, TFaoro said:

Smoke isn't power.... I'd start by turning the star wheel a couple clicks and sliding the plate back. Are your EGTs high?

Exactly, it's just wasted fuel and a piston cooker. Don't have a working EGT gauge right now but will soon.

Edited by The_Hammer
  • Like 1