• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

ECM information

• Owner

I've got to say Thank You to a member sending my his damaged ECM for study purpose. I know you'll come forward to acknowledge this. 

I figured for the sake of knowledge of the ECM why not document as much as I can for other to learn. I can say without a doubt the circuit board is mylar and securely glued to the aluminum case. It's a single sided solder setup but it double sided tracers. 

• MEMORY - Toshiba TC55257DFI-70L (256k CMOS SRAM 32k X 8)
  • FLASH MEMORY-  Intel AB28F400BR-B80 (4-Mbit (256K X 16, 512K X 8) Smartvoltage Boot Block Flash Memory. Access Speed 80 NS)
  • PROCESSOR - Motorola SC416652GMFT20 - 68336 Family - 20 Mhz Frequency

It's going to take me time to hunt down more I've really straining to see the chip numbers through the spray coating on top of them. I'm too afraid to rub it off. Might make things worse.

DSCF3799.JPG

DSCF3798.JPG

• Like 3

• Staff

Michael do you think you can help some of us in any way with the ecm after looking into it?

Perhaps build a simpler more reliable set up?

Edited by JAG1

• Owner

I'm trying to find out some of the chips and other parts within the ECM to learn more about the design. Like the processor has over 72 MB worth of documents on what it can do. I know now that since the circuit board is glued to the case the case acts like a heat sink for all the parts. I was looking up specs for operation temperatures and this ECM can tolerate a lot of heat in operation.

• Like 1

• Owner

RAM is is just RAM there is no need to reflash again you not changing the FLASH RAM. If you where to solder on new RAM just plug it in and run the software would be untouched being its stored in the Intel Chip if I'm not mistaken. No different that changing the memory in a computer has no impact on what store on your hard drive (flash ram).

Not to mention seeing the MOSFET's for the lift pump circuit those would be easy to replace if I could get a part number. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

So that would require figuring out how to remove the mylar circuit board from the current case to be re-applied. I'm not sure how that could be done as of yet. 

DSCF3801.JPG

DSCF3802.JPG

It's actually glued directly to the aluminum case. So the entire case is a heat sink for the processor chip. After reading up IIRC the processor is capable of operation temperatures of 150*C or 302*F.

DSCF3803.JPG

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Just cut the aluminum around it?.

Is harness long enough to go further away from engine and make a bit larger watertight box beig enough to remount mylar  leaving old aluminum around ?

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
26 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

After I cut Volvo ABS control modules open for repair I reseal them with clear RTV.  I've never had a problem with water infiltration.

How do you know how to repair them?

• Owner

Like the delayed "Wait To Start" light would be bad memory so replacing the two RAM chips would be easy. As for the failed lift pump you just have to find the MOSFET that controls the lift pump circuit and replace it. Like random revving issues that might be a processor issue. I've got to do some more reading on that Motorola processor and get better understanding of it functions. 

• Like 1