• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injector Maintenance/Cleaning

My truck (99, 2x4, auto, quad cab), is fixing to spin 200K & it occurred to me that I have not done any maintenance on the injectors & I was wondering if there is a cleaning/maintenance interval on the injectors.  

Is there such a thing as injector Maintenance like there is for Gasser injectors (cleaning, flowing, etc)?  Yea I know they  are different critters, but they do have similarities. 

thanks

Bob

Injectors are a wear item.  I would start putting money into a fund to replace them as they typically get tired around your mileage range.  

The best thing you can do for injector upkeep is run your truck hard once a week or so.  Hook up a trailer and get EGTS above 1000* for 10-20 minutes to burn off the crud on the injectors.

No amount of injector cleaner etc will do squat, pissing in a pond ya know?    You can pull them, dissemble and clean if need be but really I don't think it is needed so long as you put your truck under good load from time to time. 

Edited by Me78569

I think the smartest choice would be to replace them....

After 200K they are likely getting worn and not sealing properly. They are also probably starting to drop the pop-off pressures, which will decrease atomization, increase smoke, decrease mileage, and decrease power. They can be had for pretty cheap too!

Check out dieselautopower.com or vulcanperformace.com

Do you guys know if DFI pop and flow matches their injectors or would that be an extra charge? 

I am still debating between 50hp or 75hp DAP or Vulcan or DFI....and now I have the added complication of turbo rebuilding and possibly going with a slightly bigger comp housing and wheel from Gillette Diesel....

Edited by leathermaneod

I did not mean the pour into the tank stuff, I mean removed, sonic cleaned, rebuilt, assembled, flowed.  Kind of thing. 

I was considering getting a set of RV injectors, Maybe its time to start looking that direction.

thanks

Bob

I don't know if DFI does that, but I am VERY happy with mine.  No extra charge for what I got.  But call and ask him.   

If you are going to do injectors I would do bigger than RV's the hx35 can handle 50 - 100's pretty easy provided you don't have wiretap fueling turned up when you are towing etc.  

The injector cleaner tank stuff was more aimed at people that might read this in the future and think that cleaners might help their issues.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I don't know if DFI does that, but I am VERY happy with mine.  No extra charge for what I got.  But call and ask him.   

If you are going to do injectors I would do bigger than RV's the hx35 can handle 50 - 100's pretty easy provided you don't have wiretap fueling turned up when you are towing etc.  

The injector cleaner tank stuff was more aimed at people that might read this in the future and think that cleaners might help their issues.  

with increased boost or with the stock 20Lbs?  seems like much more fuel & EGT's would go up a bunch.  I tow ~10K up over the mounting into the desert during the winter & dont want to have to deal with EGT issues.  (Im in San Diego, CA.  so its not like I have real winter to deal with, but its a pretty good tow over the mountain).

DAP = Diesel Auto Power?

DFI = ????

thanks

Bob

You will need to do a chip that does boost fooling and a boost elbow to allow for higher boost.  Those 2 should keep egt's in check.  

DFI = Ducky fuel injection

The comp boost fools, but when towing I would leave it on stock power level.

I have not found anything that does a decent job of boost fooling for my truck.  I have tried 3 or 4 of the dongles that plug into the MAP sensor & they all give unreliable performance.  

"Comp boost fools", who is comp?

thanks again

Bob

• Staff

You must be going to Glamis or Ocotillo and that's a hard drive back on 8.  I've done it a few times pulling my  8k lb 5er.  I'm running an Edge EZ with a boost elbow but I got it before the California Air Resource Board (CARB) out lawed it.  A lot of the programmers are outlawed here and when you bring your truck in for the biannual SMOG inspection it will fail if they see the programmer on it.  It will also fail if any smoke is seen during the 'snap' test so be carful on the size of the injector.     

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

You must be going to Glamis or Ocotillo and that's a hard drive back on 8.  I've done it a few times pulling my  8k lb 5er.  I'm running an Edge EZ with a boost elbow but I got it before the California Air Resource Board (CARB) out lawed it.  A lot of the programmers are outlawed here and when you bring your truck in for the biannual SMOG inspection it will fail if they see the programmer on it.  It will also fail if any smoke is seen during the 'snap' test so be carful on the size of the injector.     

I'm shocked you just dont take it off for the smog inspection..... :think:  I've done this multiple times since I've had my EZ and it takes maybe 5 minutes.  You dont have to remove the boost elbow either as it does nothing during the test.

The only other component under my hood which doesn't look OEM is the aFe intake, but I had them send me an EO sticker so thats no longer a problem for the tech.  Dont let CARB get the best of ya. :)

• Staff

The smog tec/owner saw the Edge EZ under the hood and said it was illegal. I went on the CARB web site and the EZ is not on their approved list.

I've been dealing with this SMOG station for 16yr.  I send them business and they take care of me. 

Katoom, I see you have RV275 injectors.  How are they working for you with the EZ? 

Dont misunderstand what I meant.  Yes, the EZ is illegal per CARB emissions laws.....as so are many many performance modification products.  But again, I've run an EZ for about 14 years and simply remove it every two years for as long as it takes the tech to pass the truck.

As for the RV275's, I absolutely love them.  Neither the EZ nor the 275's will turn this 4 ton truck into a race machine but the overall gain in daily get around with the two of them combined is more than ample, and the towing performance is undeniable.  I tow around a 14k 5th wheel and I need all the help I can get.

The RV275 injectors hardly smoke at all and only under a heavy throttle.  Even at that, its nothing to shout about.  They pass the smog snap test with ease as there's no more exhaust smoke over that of stock injectors under those conditions. :thumb1:

Edited by KATOOM

Back when my Banks chip failed I had nothing but the rv's and the truck did surprising good even towing. I dont remember them alone being smokey at all. They are a little smokey with the comp turned up. Of course I dont have to deal with CARB or any emissions out my way.

• Staff

I guess what we're trying to say is if anyone in CA wants certain performance upgrades they're going to have to get them from out of state and take them off every 2 years or have a friend that does smog testing to get your registration.

33 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

As for the RV275's, I absolutely love them.

Good to know and that you can pass smog testing with them.