• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Something feels weird, VP44

So I just got done replacing my vp44, after I was getting (hard start or so I thought I'm 50/50 with this I don't know if it was my starter and cables or actually a hard hot start) I got the new one in, checked all connections, made sure the key way is in the groove, and started putting everything back together. Got it started once to have the starter go out the next startup.... Put new starter in and all new cables, I finally get to test drive it. ( I also have a wire tap) so I went for a test run..... And to me it doesn't feel like it had the spunk like my old pump did. ( if that makes any sense)  I'm 100%  sure of this because I lost about 7 psi of boost.( with old I was getting 37 on high side, new one I'm only seeing 30-31)  I am double checking for boost leaks tomorrow on my exhaust side, my clean air side is good. So my question is, how the hell does a vp44 vary in that much of a power difference??? Is that even possible ???  I know the new one I put in has been/had something done because it doesn't have the clear gel like the other one does. 

18 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Possible a bad pump? :shrug:

I'm wondering , I can't post pics from my iPhone but tomorrow I'm posting where I think it has been fixed because it's not like the old one. Can you turn down these pumps at all? 

18 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

How is your wiretap done?  

Did you boost leak test after the install?  numerous gaskets and boots are removed to install a vp.

Through blue chips stealth plate, with the hex key pin point bolt and a little eye outlet from the quad,  only way he said he would warranty it) I'm double checking the connection tomorrow. And yes I did a boost leak test on the clean side yesterday, it actually blew the test boot off at 22 psi of charging,  I even took of my air filter, thinking it was choking the turbo, only saw 31 psi. 

Edited by fuze24v

the new one that i got has the black on it, my old one is the clear silicone looking, just in looking at them there is a huge diffrenece!

Capture.PNG

old one.PNG

I am half tempted to throw the old one back and to see if it even had hot hard start! im thinking between my starter and cables it might not of!!:doh::spank:

Are both the pumps from Blue Chip? I have one that is 6 to 7 years old with the BC stealth cover as well and as I remember I could see the electronics thru a layer of  something. Could just be an upgraded way of doing the same thing. Have you called them and talked to them about it? I spent alot of time talking to Chip before and after buying mine. Not sure Chip has alot to do with it any more though.,

it made me wonder if that new pump he sent me hadn't properly been fixed with the burnt looking silicone. like i said, im half tempted to throw the old one back on!! and see if it really did have hot hard start!

And yes, both pumps are from Blue chip, im sure it has been fixed "electronically" or i would at least hope. i spent a fair amount of time talking to him before i bought my first one, and i haven't talked to him yet about this other pump he sent me, I am going to ask about the power difference, i no i didnt mess with any gasket's except the air horn but they were bran new, from the dealership, i bought awhile back,  i just double checked all my lines and going into town...... ill see what it does.... im a little frustrated over this..

Well I will be definitely calling him on Monday and asking some questions. I just don't want him to be like, well I warranties it once I ain't doing it again so your up the **** creek without a paddle,   

I remember you saying that to Mike. 

How much is it to have the core sent   In and have it fixed? 

Edited by fuze24v

• Owner

Just I've hear different people say different things about warranty issue. The only reason I won't buy a "Blue Chip" pump is because of the price and the fact they re-use the PSG instead of replacing it. If you buy a "Blue Chip" pump that is with a new PSG then you pay dearly for that pump. 

This version exact replacement rebuilt VP44 pump has ALL the mechanical and electronic upgrades presently available, including an upgraded replacement housing with a steel sleeve, with a USED upgraded computer, to compete price-wise with our competitors. The difference between them and us, is that you KNOW you are getting all upgraded parts when you buy from us. This injection pump will restore the power and improve your fuel economy back to what it was when your truck was new. This is the best price choice if you aren't sure of how long you are keeping the truck, or just can't afford more. It comes with a TWO YEAR UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY.

To compete price wise? 

Here... DAP is way cheap with the same warranty and even a NEW PSG installed...

http://dieselautopower.com/bosch-027-vp44-fuel-injection-pump-standard-output-235hp-wire-tap-voids-2-year-warranty-vp44027/

Again Vulcan Performance... New PSG and cheaper price than BC.

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Bosch-VP44-p/vp44.htm

When I bought mine I did not know anything about this forum or any others. So I was buying pretty blind, but at the time he was the only one that I found that came with new electronics and some of the mechanical upgrades. You could buy them both ways new or used computers as you can today. I was sold on it then and bought one for $1700. That hurt but I did have the extra cash then. 

He definitely does not build his own pumps. Has them built for him just like most every one else. If mine blew tomorrow I would have to go to DAP most likely due to cost. Most of the pumps you see today come with the upgrades that I could not find back then.

I have not had one issue with the pump in its lifetime. I have about 165k on it. But I am sure there are many other pumps doing the same thing.

I am going to call him on monday Nick, and see what he has to say. i agree with you that its not a new pump, my mileage is way down and i dont have the boost i use to..... which is really frustrating cause i am dynoing in CDA Idaho sept 10th through Alligator performance... im going to see what he has to say, and more then likely i will be putting the old one back on to see if it had "hot hard start" im 50/50 whether it was the pump and cables and starter. 

I am never dealing with BC again after all this mike..... learning the hard way!!

Dripley, if i have to buy another one, its through DAP, or vulcan like mike said! hands down i have had excellent service through DAP,  i just dont want to buy another one!! Maybe a p-pump coming in the future? back and 4th.......with this thought!!

So, I've had mixed reviews on BC. My Raptor 150 died without warning 

I bought it from BC , so they said it comes with a 4 year warranty, I emailed BC with my name and serial # and he never followed up, I'm not dealing with BC again. My IP from them has been doing okay, fingers crossed