• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

6.7 engine oil disappeared. Why?

oldbeek

A friend has a 13 or 14 6.7. The engine oil disappeared. He has it serviced at Dodge every 3,000 miles. A red light may have come on but he being an old man he may have ignored it.  Anyway Dodge said he needs a new engine and it will cost him $24,000. He said ok. I am sure this truck has under 100,000 miles on it.  Anyone know of any internal problems that could eat all of his engine oil? My oldest dodge uses a gallon in 5,000 miles with 350K on the odometer.

I think it would be more likely be a leak somewhere.... seal pushed out or something.

He should NOT pay that to have an engine dropped in!!!!!

He could pick up a reman longblock and have it put in for half the price.

• Staff

Dealer forgot to refill it?

How many miles since the last oil change at the dealers?

Dealers do things to get you to do a trade for a new one plus price so high to get you to buy new.

He should get his oil changed at the Cummins service only.

Edited by JAG1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After the engine was changed, it was found that the turbo seal was sucked in. The owner did not mention that after the oil change he loaned it to his 22yr old nephew to haul a big power boat back from Lake Mead. The kid mentioned, when questioned that it did smoke a lot but he thought it was just making power. It was the next day that the old man was driving to his farm when the engine seized. Oil light? The old guy just gets in and drives. Mystery solved!

• 3 weeks later...