• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Track bar issues

The truck had a pop sound on the frontend. When you turn the wheel to a certain degree to the left and then pops again when you turn it back right. I thought it maybe the ball joints so i replaced them and still popped. I asked around and others said it was the track bar. I purchased a new track bar and installed, now i have more popping than i had in the beginning. To top it off my steering wheel is turned 10 to 15° to the left...  i did some research and found most saying turn the adjustment linkage to fix the steering wheel. Just making sure this is correct and wondering if the is anything else that may cause the pop.

Yes on the steering adjustment. Adjust it till the wheel is straight. I need to do this to mine. Just park it with the wheels straight and unlock the steering wheel.

How are your tie rod ends? Get someone to get in the truck and turn the wheel back a forth while you look under the front end. You should be able to see/hear it.

The entire front end(minus the axle) is less than 12months old. And has under 6kmiles on it . I will have to do that, i researched a bit more after the post and found that. Unfortunately  its been raining and i have a shade tree for  a shop. When tightening the ball joint side, the castle nut was way below the cotter pin hole. I tightened it down fairly decent, i have a 2' breaker bar and i put some mucsle into it. Granted i didnt get it nut busting tight. Could this be my error?

• Staff

It's good you asked cause it might be an aftermarket brand. I got it from Source Automotive in Clackamas Oregon. 503 654-9004. It has a beefy upper bracket and bushing. I know they do shipping but may have to call them to order. They know the good one for the second gen trucks.

I got the adjustable one to do the 2 inch leveling kit.

Edited by JAG1

5 hours ago, jmarsh223 said:

The truck had a pop sound on the frontend. When you turn the wheel to a certain degree to the left and then pops again when you turn it back right. I thought it maybe the ball joints so i replaced them and still popped. I asked around and others said it was the track bar. I purchased a new track bar and installed, now i have more popping than i had in the beginning. To top it off my steering wheel is turned 10 to 15° to the left...  i did some research and found most saying turn the adjustment linkage to fix the steering wheel. Just making sure this is correct and wondering if the is anything else that may cause the pop.

Will it make the noise while turning the wheel sitting parked?? If not I would raise the front end to unload the tires and go from there. Check the steering shaft, gearbox, pittman arm, tie rods, etc,.

4 minutes ago, jmarsh223 said:

Thanks jag, ill check it out. 

Angus, it only pops when sitting still and sometimes i can feel it in a slow turn.

Like Dripley said, have someone turn the wheel for you while you try to locate... The 3rd gen trac bar is a nice upgrade, but I doubt it is the source of the noise your hearing if you just replaced with an OEM.

• Staff

Okay... I had the pop for a week with the 03 trac bar. Source Automotive took an impact wrench and tightened the lower knuckle and it went away for good. Seemed like they knew right away what was causing it but, that was after they did all new Ball joints and tie rod ends. $1400 bucks Yikes:broke:

Ah ok then. I think mine has something kind of like that too. Though at this point its more of a vibration than a pop or clunk. I thought track bar as well, but new one didn't fix it. It just occured to me this morning that maybe it is the upper control arm bushings? my lowers on the driver side are done and I'm in the process of doing the passenger side lowers. Then sometime I'll have to tackle the uppers on both sides...pretty soon there will be nothing left to replace on this front end...

I developed a clunk in my front end right after changing my shocks. More so happened on a bumpy road than when turning however. The shocks were fine so I started thinking control arm bushings but a front brake job to precedent over the clunk. When I got it a part turned out my front passenger u joint was gone and the drivers side not far behind it. Might be a long shot but pretty easy to check.

@jmarsh223 What brand of parts did you use rebuilding your front end?  There is a lot a cheap stuff out there and the 00-02's 4X4's are harsh on ball joints and track bars. If you would go to your profile and fill in your signature with your vehicle info it would help every one know what you are dealing with. Not sure which one you are dealing with unless I missed it above somewhere.