• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Overhead console

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What I don't get is the trouble of transferring from one vehicle to another for what? Outside temp and compass? We already know the trip computer won't be right. Strange enough people continue to keep installing them in their trucks. Like I get more data off my Garmin 42LM than the overhead compass. I can get degrees, direction, miles to destination, directions to the destination, etc. As for the trip computer if you are not completely stock and everything just right the data is skewed. Being MPG equal speed divided by GPH flow rate. (MPG = MPH/GPH) So being that most have fueling mods the GPH flow rate is skewed and if you are running a oversized tires the distance or speed is skewed so the MPG and DTE is all wrong. Like using both ScanGauge II and the OBDLink LX both provide much more for trip data than the stock trip computer. There is no way to calibrate that feature to oversize tires or larger injectors. So now then outside temp that's OK. Like myself, I got a wonderful gift long ago. That PanaPacific Gauge is the next thing above that overhead display. Inside and outside temperatures, history max & min for both inside and outside, set alarm temps for either inside or out. Then it's got a clock and alarm clock as well so if you want to take a quick nap and alerted say in 30 minutes or in a hour you can set the alarm clock. 

I'll admit none of this will fit in the overhead spot but there is lot of other options that will provide much better data and information than the stock overhead computer not that expensive but the data data is more valuable. 

Because it looks good and functions well for what it is. I don't see why you're so against it... 2 to 4 hours of time on a weekend to have a nice functioning overhead console sounds pretty good to me. Like you said nothing else is going to fit there, and his current one is broke. 

IMG_20160828_202915889.jpg

• Like 1

Well to out everyone at ease, I think this is a no go for me. I was figuring it would be a straight forward easy swap, but I forgot about the sun visor and auto dimming rear view mirror. I don't have either options in the 02. So that's another set of wires I'd have to undo and re-wire. I don't think it's worth the time and hassle at that point. I really do like the look but so I anything I'll wait until a used one pops up so I only have to take apart my truck instead of both

Here's the wiring on the 02

image.jpeg

Wiring in the 99

image.jpeg

two modules side by side

image.jpeg

Well maybe I am weird who knows. Never had one, never felt like I needed one. I generally know what direction I am going. I have a odometer and gas gauge to tell me how far I can go before I run out of gas. If I need to know my fuel mileage that bad I an stop and fill the tank any time and find out. When my ac was not working I did not want to know how hot it was outside and now that it works I dont need to know. I dont have all the gadgets Mike has either. I guess I am just stuck in my old ways and dont sweat it.

But if you really want one or feel the need for one who am I to say you dont need it.

• Like 2

Yea I hear ya @dripley. Only reason I even considered it was because my current plastic is broken up there and I have a truck with a non broken plastic, it just also has the console with it too.

@TFaoro the wiring harness that goes out right is the power for the lights in the sun visors. They have the option when you flip down there's lights on them.

• Owner
9 hours ago, TFaoro said:

I don't see why you're so against it...

I'm in accuracy and data logging. The only way I can find out if modification work properly is to study the trend over a 12 month period. So if your data logging from a broken or inaccurate device then your efforts are all for naught. Kind of like measuring with your thumb, hands, and strides.

8 hours ago, dripley said:

I dont have all the gadgets Mike has either.

Like I use to be without all the gadgets too. When I started back at 20k miles I started tracking fuel usage in a written hand log. Then learn more as I started with the ScanGauge II. I found out the day to day MPG is greatly different that just a tank MPG. Then after installing a temp gauge and custom location of the sensor  I got a better measurement of outside out temp that the overhead in my 96 Dodge. Now I put together the impact of the outside air temp vs. IAT vs. MPG. So comparing the overhead in the 96 to the PanaPacific the PanaPacific was much closer to correct temperature while moving. Like I've got the compass in the 96 Dodge and never look at that... I use my Garmin more so again looking for accurate numbers of speed and distance. I know the speedometer is incorrect in the 96 Dodge makes a difference in data logging in that vehicle and make the MPG number correct. It would drive me crazy to look up and seem some lame 30-35 MPG number because of my mods. Hence why I'm so against the overhead display. I've seen several trucks with fuel mods and lame numbers in the overhead. 

So to show correction factor to get flow rate display correctly for either ScanGauge II or OBDLink on the 2002 Cummins is 14.5% offset to report OBDII data of fuel flow rate. As for the 1996 Dodge that requires 233% offset to correct fuel flow rate because of the Mopar Performance PCM I'm running. This is something that can't be done to correct the data on the stock overhead. Funny to see the unaltered numbers on the 96 because it reports like 47-53 MPG:lmao:

Edited by Mopar1973Man

That was when bench seats and column shifts were the way to go.... :thumbup2:

Back on point I have an 01 body harness here and a console with a broken light and an auto dimming mirror.... point is if your push button lights aren't bad you could mash the two together and get one good one I think :think:

The other head scratcher is I see TFaoro point about the plug in modules of the harness and I think I am missing a part of it take a look to the left of the light that black plug is the confusing part to the right goes across roof to third brake light.

the worst part is I know this harness came out of truck with all the visor lights readouts and auto dimming mirror but can't find the plugs in this harness thats in the picture

1472491523256-681588665.jpg

14724915460641491195932.jpg

1472491557318-257507767.jpg

If you check out this pic, it shows the one plug that connects into the upper console with the temp/compass read out. I couldn't see any wires from the open console space running back that would indicate they were going to the 3rd brake light. So maybe they're routed around the side or something.

image_jpeg_42fac074e3dbe179b8a5f3419eb2c156.jpg

I was starting to have second thoughts and was thinking maybe I'd give this a go, but after seeing all that wiring, nah I'm good! :lmao:

Hahaha it always seems good in your head then reality comes and slaps you across the face....

Like putting an 01 2wd 1500 sport cab on a 99 4x4 2500 slt Laramie with cab lights....:doh:

in short cab lights became optional and  my 4x4 shifter is now where the factory should have put it.  With a few added benefits from my machinist  (solid stainless shift knob)

1472501188623487847417.jpg1472501138775-894990983.jpg

Edited by WiscoRedkneck
Auto correct typo