• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Control arm bushings

Be prepared to cut the eccentric bolts on the front of the lower arms. I would order new ones from the dealer ahead of time. Make sure they get you both washers and the nut for each bolt. Both of mine had to be cut. I just take a sawzall and cut the bolt on each side of the control arm inside the pocket. Just be careful not to damage the arm or the pocket if you have to do this. You'll want lots of antiseize when you put it back together!

Another option to consider. You can get a control arm with bushings already installed for around $50 a piece. Then through whatever matter of destruction you prefer cut the control arm out around the bolt.

You just have to get to the inner sleeve of the bushing and heat it up with a torch and it should work loose.  

• Staff
1 hour ago, leathermaneod said:

I wouldn't count on getting the bolt out even with a torch. We had mine glowing read and hit it with an air chisel and still wouldn't budge. It also makes a huge mess of the rubber bushing just FYI. 

I use to take the torch (flaming hacksaw) and cut the bolt head or nut off depending which way I was going with it.  Of course, the rubber in the bushing would catch fire so once the A-arm came off the frame I kept the torch on it and cut the outer bushing metal from the A-arm.  Clean up, press in new bushing, a little paint and under coating, done.    

No your not screwed. Just get a bunch of good quality sawzall blades and get to work :-) I used 8" ones. carefully cut the bolt on each side of the control arm. Don't damage the pocket! We had broken off both sides of mine, nut and head. Then torch and chisel. Still no luck so sawzall. Make sure you get the bolts, 2 washers for each, and a nut for each. The rear bolts should come out fine. If your not in the salt belt you may be fine with then all, you'll just have to see

Well I ment screwed on gettin new bolts I just seriously am unable to make it to the dealer before they close  but we do have some salt bet not too much so far I've not had any issues with any other bolt on the truck but I know these being in the bushing sleeve is a totally diff ball game. Does any one know of a good place on line to get the bolts, oh by the way thanks for the info it hadn't occurred to me that the bolts could be stuck