• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So, My vp44 died. Now what..

Ok, So its dead from all I can tell. I want to buy a different one, should I buy a rebuilt bosch unit from my local supplier for $1150 or should I go with Jkidds are they the same pump? Should I go with the Blue Chip type X pump they suggest that it gets better gas mileage ( I tow a 3-4 car trailer and will be going a TON of miles ). I'm assuming that my truck will run better even better then it did prior to the pump dyeing due to wear etc. Is there any other options out there I'm not thinking of? I would also like to do a upgraded lift pump, maybe the fass system. I feel I'm on the right path, I'm just wondering if I should pay a little more to buy my pump from a local company that was rebuilt by bosh (unknown if its a new computer etc) or should I go with the fancy dancy one from Blue chip (known new components) or spend some time and save a buck by going with Jkidds? Thank you. Paul

Sounds like you have done some homework.You will find people happy with both bluechip and jkidd.You have to decide what you want to spend and with whom.Be weary of suggested gains in performance and or mileage, if they are suggesting it and not flat out stating or guaranteeing it I wouldn't be inclined to put much stock in it.

I got a pump from jkidd last year. It was $920.00 after rebate. The rebuild was done by a well know Bosch certified shop so all the upgrades are done including new electronics. My truck always got the same mileage since I bought it 4 years ago but when I installed the new pump the mileage went up almost 2 mpg. Jkidd is an excellent retailer and the only way your core would be refused was if it was in a fire or disassembled.

• Like 1

They both rock :thumbup2:

Two of the friendliest/helpful vendors out there.

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

Should have added

for MPG - I found the only thing that worked for me was an Edge Chip to advance the timing/fuel and larger exhaust

This cost me $400 for edge 2nd hand and $280 for exhaust. I picked up 3 MPG hand calculated on long haul trips.

see http://forum.mopar1973man.com/showthread.php/1370-Towing-MPG-HP-advice?p=11117#post11117

The only other way I see to pick up that kind of mileage would be

Better injectors RV275 or whatever like michael runs ...............for spray pattern - not sure on $$

Better trans/TC - I am running stock TC -> but this whole setup may cost you $1000-$4000 depending on what you go for

Only other thing - get a BHAF :) its a good $70-$80 investemen (with prefilter)

:hyper:

• Like 1

I have been using a 5 dollar craftsman steering wheel puller for years and it works great. Do not forget about Scheids for any Cummins related parts. They have always been top notch as far as fueling components go also. http://www.scheiddiesel.com/prod_display/Cummins+Engines/55/Injection+Pumps/0.php

So your vp is dead, my 2 cents says P PUMP IT NOW BEFORE ITS TO LATE.LOL

No comment... (Shaking my head) :lmao: Inside joke and you would have to go back through many pages of JL welding posts to understand...:rolleyes:

Yea check this out, B-D wonts me to send them a video with sound so they can hear what it is doing. lmao So they will get one, man this thing lopes like sled puller when you pull foward clutch it pull foward again and lope lope lope, its a joke man. The lobes got to be trash. Push in the clutch and lope, lope. At idle you can hear it, the longer you let it idle the more you hear it. Push in on the clutch and let out quick it almost sounds like it will die. The first pump I had put on cost me 1500.00 after that I learned how to do it my self, good thing because two more later saved me a loot. The first pump lasted till the warrenty went out. 1100.00 for the second one and tons of new parts in between. So if I was guessing I would say easy 3k, throw another 6 hundred at it and you got a p pumped 01 YEA MAN I can see it comeing. I aint buying another one it will end up in the pasture on blocks before I buy another sucker vp44.

Well, I found a "used" 70k mile pump and turbo combo for sale that seemed to be in great shape. Installed it last night (pretty easy really) and it runs great but still have a CEL, I'm going to have that checked today. What is my core worth to anyone?What is the 2 stroke diet?What is the turbo worth?Thanks.Paul

Well, I found a "used" 70k mile pump and turbo combo for sale that seemed to be in great shape. Installed it last night (pretty easy really) and it runs great but still have a CEL, I'm going to have that checked today.

What is my core worth to anyone?

Not much

What is the 2 stroke diet?

http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/2-cycle-oil.htm

What is the turbo worth?

Maybe $500 or so

Thanks.

Paul

Answers in shades of green :cool:

Dang that didn't work, here's 2 stroke link http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/cummins/general/2-cycle-oil/2-cycle-oil.htm

Well, I found a "used" 70k mile pump and turbo combo for sale that seemed to be in great shape. Installed it last night (pretty easy really) and it runs great but still have a CEL, I'm going to have that checked today. What is my core worth to anyone? What is the 2 stroke diet? What is the turbo worth? Thanks. Paul

Hope you did't spend Too much for a used pump. Your core isn't worth much unless someone has a good one yet and needs a core for an extra. Most co's charge 200 raNGE FOR CORE CHARGE. Stock used turbos are only worth 200ish depending on purchaser as new factory turbos are only 500ish.

Well, I paid $400 for the pump and the turbo. The CEL went off today and the truck drives great. I'm going to use the 7 blade hx35 as a upgrade on one of my turbo mitsubishi cars, they support about 450-500 hp on the 2.0 4g63 motors! Or, maybe I'll just sell it. Thanks for the replies!