• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Need new truck...rolled my 2002

somethingnuw

Rolled my 02..,, I'm no mechanic...tow 3 x year...but do lots of highway driving...not a work truck...just haul my tribe of 6 around dirt biking 

just got offered a 2008 mega cab with 165000 km not sure what that is in miles 100 maybe....truck is bone stock...

up up here I can rip the emissions stuff out...

is is this a reliable truck? .I use to chew threw the ball joints on my 02 every two years...had 400 k on it never did an injector....

3 Rd gen vs 4 gen....what's more reliable seems all the used ones have the same mileage no matter the age

All of them CAN be reliable, depending on what you do.

If you plan on deleting the emissions garbage, you shouldn't have many issues with the engine other than injectors. Make sure you have a better filtration system than stock. It's the only way to prolong the life of the injectors. 

Transmission wise, are you looking at auto or manual? With an auto, you have to be careful with the programmer so you don't tear up the internals. Manual, you'll probably have to change the clutch out eventually. The DMF isn't known for holding power well.

3rd or 4th gen.... I really don't think it matters if you're deleting. You'll have the same motor either way and the emissions will be gone. 

4 hours ago, TFaoro said:

3rd or 4th gen.... I really don't think it matters if you're deleting. You'll have the same motor either way and the emissions will be gone. 

If he wants a mega cab then he has 2 engine options in the 3rd gen 5.9 in the 06 to mid 07 and then 6.7 mid 07-08.

4th gen all 6.7.

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

Ok it is 3 gen for dummies time. What is a unicorn 3rd gen?

I was wondering the same thing but thinking he is referring to the last year and a half of having a 6.7 in a 3rd gen.

Sort of like the coveted 1998 quad cab 12v 2nd gen.

Nice thing about the 6.7 is they pull so much harder and make tons more power a lot cheaper and easier than the 5.9 along with the OEM exhaust brake on the 6.7.

I have not heard of near as many injector / engine issues with the 6.7 either.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, dripley said:

Ok it is 3 gen for dummies time. What is a unicorn 3rd gen?

The newest ones are near 10 years old.  

Finding one that's clean with low miles with good options is real tough around me 

My 05 is entering the unicorn category as time passes "My wife loves that thing and would never let me part with it" . I have put less than 10K on my 05 over the last 3 years, just sits in the shop collecting dust most of the time and now that summer is over where its main use is pulling my pontoon now days and its going to bed for the winter next week too. Only has 125K on it. Not bad for 12 years old. My 2010 1500 hemi is my dd'er and has 108K on it already she gets around 20K a year and I use it for pulling my other goose neck trailers now for the most part depending on what it is.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Wild and Free said:

Sort of like the coveted 1998 quad cab 12v 2nd gen.

Almost pulled the trigger on a single owner one but it was an automatic and I wanted a standard.  Had 98k on it and lived in California all of it's life owned by an elderly man. :doh:  Oh well...I'm sure whoever has it now is enjoying it as I am enjoying my 98.5 

Anyways...my buddy who owned an 07.5 loved it until he had to sell it for his own reasons.  Mega Cab...all the creature comforts, deleted, and lots of bolt-on's.  He plans on another one when once he's discharged from the Marines.  The power they make is pretty impressive.  I love the look of the 2006+ once Dodge did the facelift on them.  

Always remember with every vehicle "the 3 F's"  ....Fluids, Filters, and Fuel         :burnout:

Edited by sooxies
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CSM said:

If it were me... id shop for a unicorn 3rd gen or jump to 2012.

like this i just found

Ram 3500 short box crew cab6 spd stick. Brand new southbend clutch and slave. Mbrp exhaust super bee single turbo, TST power max programmer 4 inch lift 37x12.5 r17 Yokohama geo. a/t-s that do not rub. 90% tread new injectors 35k ago. AFE cold air intake FASS fuel lift pump pac brake exhaust brake and air bags new water pump. Moog ball joints boost and EGT gauges.

low km's 220 000 km about 140 000 miles... what do you guys think?  Clean truck

2 hours ago, Killer223 said:

i have a unicorn 3rd gen, Mega 4x4 g56. :cool:

where do you live... im in Vancouver Canada... 

11 hours ago, somethingnuw said:

like this i just found

Ram 3500 short box crew cab6 spd stick. Brand new southbend clutch and slave. Mbrp exhaust super bee single turbo, TST power max programmer 4 inch lift 37x12.5 r17 Yokohama geo. a/t-s that do not rub. 90% tread new injectors 35k ago. AFE cold air intake FASS fuel lift pump pac brake exhaust brake and air bags new water pump. Moog ball joints boost and EGT gauges.

low km's 220 000 km about 140 000 miles... what do you guys think?  Clean truck

where do you live... im in Vancouver Canada... 

I myself would personally stay away from a lifted truck but that is my opinion.  Unless you have a need for it or that's the look you want?  It's your money in the long run :thumb1:.  Every single one that I see driving around people just beat the tar out of them zipping around on the road.  I hate to stereotype but lifted truck owners get a bad rap.  Most, not all, of them deserve it.  To anyone who drives a lifted vehicle on this forum I'm not trying to start an argument or generalize you.