• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Muffler install

Hey all,

So lately I've been wanting to quite my truck down just a bit. I LOVE the sound, but I've had passengers more often lately and it gets a little annoying when trying to hold a conversation. Anyway I found a new MBRP 4" muffler on my local Craigslist for $40 and I made arrangements with the guy to buy it. He said you can see right through it but it does have some flappers or something inside. I'm concerned about my egts coming up some, but I figured for $40 what do I really have to loose? Anyway I was just curious if anyone has any good or bad experiences with MBRP mufflers that they would share with me(good or bad sound, higher egts)? Also, my truck has a very nicely installed 4" straight pipe right now and I was wondering what would be the best way to install this muffler without hacking it up too much just incase I wanna take it back off? Finally, I believe it should be as far away from the engine as possible, is that correct? 

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Yes I have thought about it a bit, don't know too much though, but I'm trying to be supper low cost on this lol. Figured since I found a name brand muffler for $40, I'll just try to do the best I can with it and it will hopefully be good enough for me :-)

You won't regret an FTE resonator but cost is always the most important factor (I have their 30").  Mounted right off of the down pipe.  Longest I've gone is 6 hours and I have zero complaints from myself or passengers.  

I have not been outside the vehicle to hear it going down the road but it sounds splendid in the cab.  Zipping around town, with the windows down, all you hear is turbo (windows up as well).  Cruising speed on the freeway it sounds like a stock exhaust but if you put your foot into it, it sounds great.  I find these motors with a full straight pipe just a little too annoying.  Then again, people drive like maniacs near me and ruin it for others.       

Anyways....I'm long overdue to make a video of the exhaust note.  If for any reason you're worried about it being too quiet I'd be more than happy to make a video for you.   

Edited by sooxies
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sooxies said:

You won't regret an FTE resonator but cost is always the most important factor (I have their 30").  Mounted right off of the down pipe.  Longest I've gone is 6 hours and I have zero complaints from myself or passengers.  

I have not been outside the vehicle to hear it going down the road but it sounds splendid in the cab.  Zipping around town, with the windows down, all you hear is turbo (windows up as well).  Cruising speed on the freeway it sounds like a stock exhaust but if you put your foot into it, it sounds great.  I find these motors with a full straight pipe just a little too annoying.  Then again, people drive like maniacs near me and ruin it for others.       

Anyways....I'm long overdue to make a video of the exhaust note.  If for any reason you're worried about it being too quiet I'd be more than happy to make a video for you.   

Thank you for all the helpful info! If you want to make a video that would be awesome, but honestly I have no intention of buying anything other than this MBRP muffler for $40 right now lol. I had just been toying with the idea of putting one on and kept seeing mufflers on Craigslist so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm honestly more concerned about sound quality than the noise level being too quiet. I don't want to loose the nice soundnit has, and I don't want my egts to come up too much. That why I wanna install this in such a way that I can easily take it back off if it's not for me. At that point maybe I will look into the fte. 

On a side note, just saw that you are running a Donaldson powercore g2 air filter. How do you like it? Do you have any pics of how you set it up?

thanks again!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leathermaneod said:

Thank you for all the helpful info! If you want to make a video that would be awesome, but honestly I have no intention of buying anything other than this MBRP muffler for $40 right now lol. I had just been toying with the idea of putting one on and kept seeing mufflers on Craigslist so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm honestly more concerned about sound quality than the noise level being too quiet. I don't want to loose the nice soundnit has, and I don't want my egts to come up too much. That why I wanna install this in such a way that I can easily take it back off if it's not for me. At that point maybe I will look into the fte. 

On a side note, just saw that you are running a Donaldson powercore g2 air filter. How do you like it? Do you have any pics of how you set it up?

thanks again!

The Little Honkin' Air Filter!  I think I maybe the only one running it on this forum?  Photos are in the thread.  No complaints/no issues.  I haven't gotten around to getting the filter minder to work with it just yet.  I would be willing to try the BHAF sometime just to say I've used both.  I enjoy trying different things.     

Edited by sooxies
  • Like 1

Well I got it installed today. Katoom, I'm sorry to say I forgot to take the before video :-( I got it done before you posted that so I didn't have that as a reminder either. I'm sorry, I wish I had thought of it, but I was in quite a rush today and just kinda got to work. Honestly though, with the little I've driven it so far, I barely notice a difference. Maybe a slightly deeper tone at idle, but very slight. Might have taken away a little of the raspiness of the straight pipe. No noticeable loss off Cummins roar or turbo whistle. Haven't done much towing or any highway runs yet to know if there is any drone or egts issues but I don't expect any. Again sorry about the lack of before vid, but if anyone wants an after I can get it for you. 

• Like 2