• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Sputtering - Edge Comp related?

I think something is wrong with my Edge... This past weekend I took a trip up to Connecticut with the camper. Under normal acceleration and driving I don't notice a problem.. but when I'm up around 65 mph and I try to accelerate up a grade I can feel the truck sputter a bit. I turned off the Edge and the problem went away. I was running the Edge on 2/3 and my Smarty is set to 2. Is the Edge starting to fail? I haven't checked for codes yet...

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie

I don't think it's your edge, but I could be wrong. I had the exact same problem with my truck for several years ended up being excessive AC noise, prior to that I changed injectors and it seemed to help for a while but I still had that same spotter you talking about, after I rebuild my alternator so far so good hope it's something simple like that. Just changing diodes only fixed half the problem, I had to also change brushes and Armature I believe it's called.

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Have you driven in this same manner before?  IE loaded with a camper at those speeds on the same types of roads?

IE is the possible that this issue has always been there, but you have never driven in the manner before?

Yes. I've driven like this before.. but not sure whether I had one or the other or both boxes on those trips.. 

I don't think it's your edge, but I could be wrong. I had the exact same problem with my truck for several years ended up being excessive AC noise, prior to that I changed injectors and it seemed to help for a while but I still had that same spotter you talking about, after I rebuild my alternator so far so good hope it's something simple like that. Just changing diodes only fixed half the problem, I had to also change brushes and Armature I believe it's called.

I still think that these add ons like edge,quad, smarty, will make a problem more obvious  ( enhanced ) and when you unplug them it seems to get better, but in my opinion more than likely you got something else causing it. Check ac noise for sure, and all of the easy stuff. I ignored it thinking it charges fine and couldn't cause too many problems but I was wrong. Took me few years, almost sold the truck and almost bought new vp, but thanks to this place all I did was injectors and alternator. 

24 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I still think that these add ons like edge,quad, smarty, will make a problem more obvious  ( enhanced ) and when you unplug them it seems to get better, but in my opinion more than likely you got something else causing it. Check ac noise for sure, and all of the easy stuff. I ignored it thinking it charges fine and couldn't cause too many problems but I was wrong. Took me few years, almost sold the truck and almost bought new vp, but thanks to this place all I did was injectors and alternator. 

Thanks for your reply... I did check the alternator (which is new as of a couple months ago) for AC noise.. and all is well there. There are no other symptoms that suggest it is AC noise. I'm going to do away with the Edge and just run the Smarty.. which I have always favored anyway.. and go up a little bit with injectors and be done for awhile. Thanks..........

Edited by dodgedieselnewbie
  • Like 1