• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Intake horn info

Forced induction engines tend to not benefit from intake modifications as everything is essentially being "shoved" in by the turbo or supercharger.  They do though respond to exhaust side work as the easier exhaust gets out the faster intake can get in without clogging up and increasing drive pressure.  I know that was crude laymans terms but you get the idea.  Nonetheless, people generally see no gains with aftermarket intake horns.

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

We will c I plan on buying the one from Rudy's diesel for 129.00 I was told it makes a difference and I was told one doesn't I don't have any future plans for milling off the stock log for a side draft so why not I guess right can't hurt anything but my turbo builder did say after u go to anything bigger then a 62 a 3 inch horn will help air flow in to head BC the charger won't be trying so hard to force air threw the tiny passage or something to that affect its been a few months since we talked on the subject I might be missing some info 

Edited by Silverdodge

Think of it this way.....  Just remember that the air traveling through the horn dumps (literally) downward into the front 1/3 side of a long flat intake manifold.  After that incoming air slams off a flat surface entering the intake plenum, it has to flow all the way back to the far cylinders.  Again.....an attractive looking sweeping arch aftermarket horn isnt going to do anything worth noticing if you're not on a dyno measuring the smallest of gains.

As mentioned before, freeing up the exhaust will generally offer some noticeable gains so maybe spend your money on a new exhaust manifold.  Even at that, most people will say that did nothing either. :thumbup2:

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

• Owner

Not to mention most normal daily drivers only see 5-10 PSI boost pressures just cruising. Maybe towing a trailer you'll see higher flow rates but typically short periods of time like 3-7 miles like here in Idaho. Racing wise where you WOT for a quarter mile and needing every single bit of HP yes there is a very small gain. Daily driver there isn't going to be much. Like my average boost pressure is like 2-5 PSI at 65 MPH on flat ground so a intake horn is not going to change much. Even with my stock manifold and 3" exhaust there is little to gain in upgrading to 4" or performance exhaust manifold with my boost pressures or drive pressures empty truck running. 

Flow and pressure are different, the volume going through the intake horn at 10psi vs 100psi boost is the same.  The pressure drop between the turbo and the head didn't change any noticeable amount with the intake horn, it only delayed spooling 10-15 RPM.  The pressure drop is more dependent on RPM as that dictates flow.

I wanted to put an he451ve on it but I couldn't find one to do so with my buddys done it b4 and made the vgt mechanical and had it work on a few trucks that was b4 I just had I'm do my custom 63 he has also done the 351 but for what I want he said I had to go bigger so I did what I did