• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Can anyone solve my mystery clunk

The drive shaft splined shaft near the front  U-joint absorbs  different drive shaft effective lengths as bumps and weights are absorbed by the suspension.  Length changes as angle of drive shaft changes WRT transfer case and front axle geometry. If you changed the front axle this can change things  and spline can hit the stop and give a jolt sensation. Something worth checking? You can disconnect one end and check the travel by pushing and pulling on it as it has a rubber boot hiding the splines visually.

• 4 weeks later...

Too add to this, I feel like it is mostly on the passenger front side.  

It seems to be fine some days and worst others.  

the truck seems to "side step" on really rough bumps where the clunk is worst.  

compared to @CSM truck my steering is also much less stiff, but I also don't have a dampener

Edited by Me78569

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

compared to @CSM truck my steering is also much less stiff, but I also don't have a dampener

I am not currently running a dampener either.  

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Damn it ME now I am starting to hear a clunk under my passenger side now. Mostly bumping around on the job. Not so much on the road yet. Everything on my front has got little over 100k on it so maybe I am due for another rebuild. I hope I can blame this on you.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well to add another chapter, I did go ahead and replace ball joints again.  

My uppers did have a touch of play in them. I wouldn't consider them bad, but hte alighnment shop did.

Same clunk however.  

I am getting tools together to retighten every bolt under the front end.   seems like the clunk is always while the susepsnsion is unloading rather than when it compressing.  

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 2

• Staff

I had a clunk within a week of the entire front end rebuilt. Some built with better aftermarket parts. I told Source Automotive about it and they immediately went to the lower end connection at the differential and retightened the New Track bar with an impact wrench. Clunk went away and never came back. They say it has to be really tight at that point.

Hope this helps.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

When I installed my ball joints, Moog, their add and many others said the uppers would have some up and down movement. They said nothing about the lowers. I would think that there would have to some give in one of them to make up for differences in the associated parts they joinl

I never noticed a clunk in mine until I put the cheap Monroe shocks on mine. After replacing my front u joints the clunk seemed to go away but it is returning. I am leaning towards shocks on mine.

• Staff

I've had no clunk Dripley for 3 years now. Hauling heavy front end wearing loads with the truck camper:punish:

In fact I only had a clunk for a wee while before the front end got rebuilt:poke:

I don't think it's normal:nadkick:

I dont remember mine ever having a clunk until a little over a year ago after replacing the front shocks. Might be off on the time but even just before I rebuilt my front end I never heard a clunk. The clunk is only recent to mine so not sure what the cause is.

So rasberry to you, ya stick pokin monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!:moon:

7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I had a clunk within a week of the entire front end rebuilt. Some built with better aftermarket parts. I told Source Automotive about it and they immediately went to the lower end connection at the differential and retightened the New Track bar with an impact wrench. Clunk went away and never came back. They say it has to be really tight at that point.

Hope this helps.

that's the next thing on my list to try.  I can only put so much torque on it with the limited room to rotate.

• Staff

Source used a big cordless impact wrench. The battery was weak but it got it to turn.

I remember you could put an eye or ear to it under there while someone bounced the truck and you still could not find it but they went right to that track bar and it got it.

Just thought here. Maybe take the rear shocks loose at the rear axle so they can't dampen the movement as much...get under the front end while a buddy or two get the back bouncing to unload the front  :think:

8 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I hope you did not take it serious Dave... I guess I came across wrong cause I was trying to be funny after having a drink, I was flyin' a little high.

:doh:

I did not. by any means. I too was into a twelve pack after the drive home and no insult was taken nor did I think one was implied. I was looking for a new emoticon and just made up the stick poking monkey thing. All in fun my friend. That was how I meant my response and took yours.

• Like 1