• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

whats and good Aftermarket water pump for 2000 dodge cummins 5.9 24v

Good Morning,

I wanted to reach out to you and let you know that this site has been and wonderful help along with getting my 5.9 cummins 24v inline back to its best performance. Today i'm faced with an challenge because my water pump started leaking and i want to change it. But the problems is that I'm have trouble finding out what's an good replacement water pump form my local auto parts store because they dealership wanter $424.00 for an brand new one and i just don't have the funds for that while the local auto parts sell them around $60 bucks after taxes. i know they aren't like the oem ones but this is all i can afford at the moment and it needs to be change. So with that being said is there any recommendations you would make to lead me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for all your knowledge I'm not trying to get robbed by the dealer but i need to fix this week cause my kids have to get back and forth to school

If you can't get a cummins water pump then get the one that is cheapest with a lifetime warranty.

Sure it will be a lifetime of changing it, but at least it is free to do so.  I typically have to do it every 2 years or so with my cheap pump, but that means I am forced to semi flush my fluid also haha

And all most likely built by the same company just boxed up differently, go with who ever will be the most convenient for you if going through a local brick and mortar store at that point. I use my locally owned parts house 90% of the time unless its after hours on the weekend. Best service and the same faces for the last 30 years and all knowledgeable unlike the rotating door of employees at all the chain store parts houses where lets just say we are not dealing with intellectual heavy weights.:redx:

If I had to go with a chain store i would seek out a locally owned and operated Napa store would be about the best chance of finding someone with any kind of knowledge and service.

Edited by Wild and Free
  • Like 2

ok napa it is because I've never bought any parts from pep boys so i don't know how safe i really feel about them. and oreillys is ok but its seem napa has more commercial then most part store which works in our favor of owning an 24valve

which coolant did you choose, because when i change the pump today i will replace all of the coolant as well. i usually run the coolant from the dealership but wondering if there is an better route to go

I replaced my pump about 5 years ago with one from one of the chain stores. It was the weekend and I did not have much choice. But it is still working fine.

As far as anti freeze, I run plain old ehtylene glycol, the green stuff. Your most likely came with it. Mine did and has been that since new.

Welcome to the farm here. My experience here has been much as your's has  Learned quite a bit from these folks.

• Like 1

Just a thought, if you are changing the pump and draining the fluid it may also be a good time to pull the radiator and clean it (especially if you haven't done that in a while).  If you have the factory crank case breather you likely have a build up of oil, dirt and grime that will restrict cooling.  The radiator comes out really easy, the toughest part is draining the fluid and you will already have that done. 

Just a thought....

where is the factory crank case breather, and do i need to replace it with an new one. Ive already had the radiator rebuilt in the mid of the year already. Ive been running water the last few days and its draining out pretty quick, which i know the reason is water is the only liquid that changes 3 stages. so i know it want hold inside like the coolant. but the coolant i was running was green, thats what the GOAT calls for. But i bought it from the dealership so I'm wondering if its worth spending the 25 a gallon verse getting an green coolant from the parts store

what kind of truck are you running

56 minutes ago, dripley said:

I replaced my pump about 5 years ago with one from one of the chain stores. It was the weekend and I did not have much choice. But it is still working fine.

As far as anti freeze, I run plain old ehtylene glycol, the green stuff. Your most likely came with it. Mine did and has been that since new.

Welcome to the farm here. My experience here has been much as your's has  Learned quite a bit from these folks.

what kind of truck are you running

Dripley,

thanks for the welcome, i have also received very valuable  information form this site, may be the most prestige I've looked dust far. But i appreciates everyone feedback it really helps to cut out the middle man and save money cause now days an good hard earned dollar is hard to come by.  

You ought to fill out your signature so you we have the specs or your truck.

For the 2nd Gens, the crank case breathers are on the front of the engine.  In between the fan and block you should see a rubber hose the comes up, bends 180* and then goes down.  The earlier models just had an open hose and late they came with a bottle on the end.  This just vents oil residue and becomes a magnet for grime.

Just use the green stuff for your local pars store.  I wouldn't bother with the dealership.

I feel like an fool:ahhh::ahhh: after reading your response i knew it exactly what you meant just didn't register to me at the moment. so what do you recommend to clean it. the front of my engine has oli, gunk, gimmes, dirt build up so how do i clean this off 

• Like 1

If it is the front of the engine you can power wash it with some degreaser.  My point was to worry more about what is caked on the radiator, but if you recently changed that out you should be good.  There used to be a pretty good article on this site on how to modify the breather so it doesn't vent right next to the radiator.  I can't find it at the moment, but if I get a chance I'll look again.

The last two changes I did was with Super Tech from Wally world. I would use whatever you are comfortable with. i would not be using the $25 stuff from the dealer either, I like my money to much. 

I am assuming you see what truck I am driving now.

• Like 1

yes sir,  well appreciate all the feeb back from everyone looking forward to doing more research on the site. Also mopar1973man i will be doing the breather crank case mod as well cause i have built up and someone recommend to clean it and do your mod. can you send me the link or forum for the mod please

ok

Great news, i knocked out my water pump and filled the coolant back up with napa green ethylene glycol  coolant which i read is was better then the coolant at the dealership. But the whole job took me less then 1 hour to do. plus when i went to napa to by everything the gave me 20% off of everything so i got the pump and 2 1gallon bottles of coolant for 68 bucks..... napa is the way to go

• Staff

I've been using the rebuilt ones on my old old 92 first gen. They are the same pumps as the 24 valve. Mine have lasted so long I can't remember when it was changed but I know it's the second rebuilt pump I put on there and it's still my daily driver for going on 20 years as a work truck.

If I go for long road trips you could carry an extra one in the tool box. Better that you carry an extra serpentine fan belt.