• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo opinions

Hey guys,

So I'm finally getting close to ordering some DFI injectors! I spoke with Chris yesterday and after chatting about my truck and goals for a bit he recommended some of their 100hp .009 injectors. Now at the same time I'm also looking at rebuilding my hx35. I already have a rebuild kit from DAP, so I was planning to pick up a worn out stock turbo and rebuild it because I need a new compressor wheel as mines got a knick in one of the blades. Anyway, all this got me thinking that maybe there is a better option turbo wise. I have an edge comp right now and honestly, switching from the smarty had me disappointed with the lag. Smarty had zero lag, instant boost and I miss that. I'm looking to switch programmers again. Trying to get a quadzilla but may go back to smarty if I can't find a used quad. My biggest goals are instant boost, fuel mileage, and reliably towing up to 12k once in a while without having to worry about egts too much. All that said, what are you thoughts on turbos with 100hp injectors? What size and all that. Or should I just keep the stock one and rebuild it? Or a hybrid?

Is your current turbo sloppy? Side side? In-out? 

If it's not, you can just replace the wheel.

How bad is the wheel? Can you take a picture? If it's a tiny nick and the turbo is tight I wouldn't worry about it. 

You'll be amazed what good injectors do to help spool a turbo..... Get the injectors and make a decision turbo-wise after the injectors are in. 

No I don't think it's overly sloppy. It definitely does not contact the housing, and as far as I know there is no in/out play, just a little side to side. I believe it leaks some oil though and maybe some air too. The wastegate is also frozen and the exhaust side and elbow are very rusted and pitted. I just figured might as well rebuild and get some parts that are in better shape. Id also like to find a silencer ring to put back in because I read somewhere that the turbo is more efficient with it and I wanted to test the theory. I don't use the truck much right now so it's a perfect time to get this stuff done lol. All that said, I don't know much about turbos, so that's why I'm asking for advice :-)

Here a pic of the gouge

IMG_0834.JPG

Thanks for the help btw!

I can't stress how much I like my setup currently.  

At sea level the turbo is pretty much always on boost, spool is stupid, and EGT's are hard to push past 1200* when towing even with the quad turned up to a level that is unreasonable for towing.

Edited by Me78569

yea, 

you can uy a built controller from lilbb.com or build the one I have.  

in the sub 500 hp range I think you would be VERY hard pressed to do better than the he351ve in terms of a dd/towing setup.  

Edited by Me78569

That's the problem with going bigger. The bigger you go the slower they spool. Just nature of the beast. 

I wouldn't be worried about that little spot. I've seen worse. The leak does suck though. I wouldn't bother buying another turbo to rebuild that one. You can buy genuine wheels pretty cheap, and rebuilding it is a piece of cake. 

If you don't want to mess with it my buddy is selling a rebuilt hx35 with 1500 miles for $350, then you could just sell yours. 

I'm all for seeing how you like it with the injectors first. VGT may be the best way for you to go.... or maybe the hx will be fine and you don't need to spend any money. 

agree with @TFaoro on trying it with the hx first.  

the vgt isn't that bad for cost

turbo cost for me was ~$350 

controller was ~$100 in parts that are actually needed

t3 to t4i flange is ~$140.

I might have $700 in my setup plus I have an Exhaust brake :)

Edited by Me78569

12 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I wouldn't be worried about that little spot. I've seen worse. The leak does suck though. I wouldn't bother buying another turbo to rebuild that one. You can buy genuine wheels pretty cheap, and rebuilding it is a piece of cake. 

If you don't want to mess with it my buddy is selling a rebuilt hx35 with 1500 miles for $350, then you could just sell yours. 

I'm all for seeing how you like it with the injectors first. VGT may be the best way for you to go.... or maybe the hx will be fine and you don't need to spend any money. 

Hmmm interesting. Do you have a source handy for a genuine wheel and silencer ring? And what about balancing if I put a different wheel on? That was another reason I had though of for buying another...keeping the wheel on its original core...and I'd really hate to go through all the work of removing and rebuilding without replacing the wheel...

i already have the rebuild kit, and I actually kinda want to do the rebuild if only for the experience. Otherwise I would buy one from you. I saw your ad on CF and thought about it. 

10 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

agree with @TFaoro on trying it with the hx first.  

the vgt isn't that bad for cost

turbo cost for me was ~$350 

controller was ~$100 in parts that are actually needed

t3 to t4i flange is ~$140.

I might have $700 in my setup 

Wow that is a lot less than I expected! Right now though I think I'd like to keep things simple. I know I can always go back to smarty for a quick spool if the injectors don't do it, and I assume the quad could be tuned to help as well. I guess right now I just need a good source for holset parts...

and of course to get my injectors ordered and installed. Problem is the truck isn't my only hobby right now....trying to buy more guns and do more shooting lol

Edited by leathermaneod
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, leathermaneod said:

Hmmm interesting. Do you have a source handy for a genuine wheel and silencer ring? And what about balancing if I put a different wheel on? That was another reason I had though of for buying another...keeping the wheel on its original core...

i already have the rebuild kit, and I actually kinda want to do the rebuild if only for the experience. Otherwise I would buy one from you. I saw your ad on CF and thought about it. 

I might have a silencer ring laying around, but no snap ring. 

Let me ask my buddy where he got his. No need to re-balance. Every part is individually balanced. 

Meh not that hard to build it.  My code is posted so you just upload it to an arduino with a canbus sheild :) plug some wires into place and call it good.  

I should make a "lite" version of my code to allow the VGT to run without the screen etc.  

• Like 2

No I don't have a link. Just something I read somewhere recently. I'll try an see if I can find it again. 

I just did a little digging on the subject and it seems I must have just read someone's personal opinion before. From what I fond this morning, it sounds like Holset has said it makes no difference and is an option. Guess thats one less thing I need to do lol

Edited by leathermaneod
  • Like 1