• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Going Crazy with Quadzilla Install

BigPimpin

Hello everyone. I'm having some issues with what I'm thinking might be a boost leak, but I'm not really sure.

I have an 02 5-speed 3500 4x4 with a Raptor 95 and 75hp industrial injection injectors. It also has a bhaf, and a magnaflow 4" exhaust. I had a smarty on it but installed my Quadzilla Adrenaline today, and I noticed that I'm only getting up to 12 psi of boost.

Now I didn't have any gauges before the Quad, so I don't know if those are the numbers I've always been getting, but I do know that I don't seem to be making any more power from Level 0 through Level 7 than I was with the Smarty. I haven't tried anything higher than 7 because it was raining.

So I guess my real question is how much boost should I be getting, and when? In second and third gears it gets up to about 7 psi. It only really gets up to about 12 in fourth at about 2000rpm. I'm going to play with it again tomorrow, but it's been bugging me all day and I thought I'd ask about it in here.

Sorry if this post was all over the place. I'm just kind of freaking out about not getting the power I was expecting from this thing.

That's the best way. . 

You should easily be seeing 35 psi with your mods and the quad.

I would also check to make sure your waste gate is closed fully.  Do you have a boost elbow install to keep the waste gate from opening at 20 psi?

No I don't have the boost elbow. As a matter of fact, I've just only recently read about that on this sight a couple of days ago. I hadn't put much thought into my turbo at all because I could always hear it whistling at around 1800rpm, so I just figured all was well. I'll look more into it.

At what rpm should I be seeing the 35psi? Or should it happen when I step on the gas between shifting gears?

That's what I've been trying to figure out all night because I knew something was wrong with those numbers when I saw them on the screen.

Your stock turbo ought to make about 20 psi. You will need the boost elbow to get to 35. If you are only making 12psi now you definitely have a leak or your waste gate is sticky and not closing all the way. 

You will see your max boost under load. Free revving the engine does to produce any boost

• Like 1

@BigPimpin, Me is right you definitely have either boost or wastegate leaks. Also you should invest in at least a pneumatic boost gauge and doublecheck it agrees with the map sensor. Honestly it sounds like a blown hump tube or intake horn gasket if the wastegate is ok. Check the IC for leaks too

Also, the quad alone is not as much a power adder as it is a tuner, but if you get your air and fuel problems solved, the quad will milk every ounce of power out of it. You definitely need a fuel pressure gauge before turning the quad up though, the VP doesn't live long with 0 psi fuel, and wiretap power sucks fuel.

hope you get it fixed soon

Do you have the IQuad?

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'm going to start going over things the rest of this weekend if the weather lets up.

I haven't dealt with turbos much at all to be honest with you. And I hadn't installed any gauges because I knew at some point I'd be installing a tuner, so I figured two birds with one stone. Now I'm feeling kind of dumb thinking I've had this leak the whole time and it's gone unnoticed. If anyone can point me in the direction of some good drawings of the turbo system and all the associated plumbing, I'd really appreciate it.

I did get the iquad, and strangely enough, I also bought the fuel pressure sensor to go with it. The only problem is the instructions say to hook it up to the banjo bolt, but the banjo bolt and needle valve are both male fittings. Do I need a coupling or am I missing something?

I planned on emailing Quadzilla about this, but I think they're closed on weekends.

• Like 1

Are you running factory fuel lines to the VP? I prefer this fitting from XDP

XDP Push Lock Fuel Pressure Tee 1/2 with 1/8 NPT port https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AGMF6PA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_aqXqybDGFM6H3

my last truck used an AD Raptor 100 in the factory location, so I installed the fuel pressure transducer in the output line to the filter assembly. 

As as for the plumbing it's simple:

exhaust>turbo>downpipe

Airfilter>Turbo>cold pipe>Right side intercooler inlet> left side outlet> Boost pipe> Intake horn.

do you still have the factory air intake horn?

Also, the stock HX35 turbo has a Married wastegate actuator which is on the bottom of the turbo, you won't be able to see it from the top with the air box installed.

I believe it is stock. When I installed the Raptor, all I replaced was the fuel tubing to the filter. Nothing after that was touched, so it should all be stock. However, when I got the truck, the lift pump mounted on the engine had been replaced with the one that went in the gas tank, so I'm not sure if anything else was replaced or not. I have to assume not because it was more of a dealership kind of replacement than aftermarket. When people talk about 1/2" fuel lines, are they meaning the lines that go from the filter to the VP44?

Also, I'd like to update all who responded to me and apologize for overreacting in the first place. I took the truck out for a drive and got it up on the highway. It seems that the boost does go up to 20psi. I looked everything over and didn't see anything off, but I haven't checked for leaks because it seems to be working fine. My initial drive yesterday was on some twisting roads and it was raining, and I have never had boost gauges so I wasn't sure how the turbo was supposed to respond. It seems like it only climbs when you accelerate pretty hard like when getting onto the highway or picking up a good amount of speed.

Still going to play with it a bit and maybe post some things here. Here are a couple of pictures of my fuel lines at the VP44 and the banjo bolt. And also some pics of the installed Quad.

RIMG7899.JPG

RIMG7900.JPG

RIMG7893.JPG

RIMG7894.JPG

1 hour ago, BigPimpin said:

I believe it is stock. When I installed the Raptor, all I replaced was the fuel tubing to the filter. Nothing after that was touched, so it should all be stock. However, when I got the truck, the lift pump mounted on the engine had been replaced with the one that went in the gas tank, so I'm not sure if anything else was replaced or not. I have to assume not because it was more of a dealership kind of replacement than aftermarket. When people talk about 1/2" fuel lines, are they meaning the lines that go from the filter to the VP44?

Also, I'd like to update all who responded to me and apologize for overreacting in the first place. I took the truck out for a drive and got it up on the highway. It seems that the boost does go up to 20psi. I looked everything over and didn't see anything off, but I haven't checked for leaks because it seems to be working fine. My initial drive yesterday was on some twisting roads and it was raining, and I have never had boost gauges so I wasn't sure how the turbo was supposed to respond. It seems like it only climbs when you accelerate pretty hard like when getting onto the highway or picking up a good amount of speed.

Still going to play with it a bit and maybe post some things here. Here are a couple of pictures of my fuel lines at the VP44 and the banjo bolt. And also some pics of the installed Quad.

RIMG7899.JPG

RIMG7900.JPG

RIMG7893.JPG

RIMG7894.JPG

is fuel pressure on your raptor adjustable? I installed that XDP fitting in the output from the raptor, and the sensor screws into it. Make sure you don't starve the VP, it will not live long at all, and its a 1500$ mistake if you replace it yourself.

They mean 1/2" lines from the Tank to the LP and VP

When you installed your Raptor did you bypass or remove the in tank pump? I have a mechanical FP gauge and install the line for it after my filters so if they start to clog I can see it in lower pressure. I also used this between the filter canister and the VP.http://www.vulcanperformance.com/Universal-Big-Line-Filter-to-Injection-Pump-Kit-w-p/ffip59.htm. Vulcan has most anything you need fuel related.No matter how you do it get that pressure gauge up and running. Your VP will love you for it.

• Like 2

• Owner

Even with just the Quadzilla Adrenaline, +50 HP injectors, 3" Exhaust, I'm tipping 40 PSI of boost. So, the guys are right test for boost leaks first.  Most build a boost leak cap for the turbo and pressurize the system with compressed air and look for leaks. It going to have to be a regulated air source so you can hook up like 10-20 PSI and soap down the system and look for bubbles. Lot of them you can just hear the air hissing. 

• Like 1

I just bypassed the in-tank pump. I don't remember the exact reason I left it in, but it seems like it made more sense at the time. I expected to have that fuel sensor in with the Quad install, but it looks like I'm going to upgrade those lines between the filter and VP44 as you suggested.

As far as boost goes, am I understanding correctly that it is limited by the waste gate? I noticed I'm reaching up to 20psi (and even 22-23 for just a quick second) but it drops down soon afterwards. I'm still going to check for leaks sometime this week, but it looks like this thing is stock and I'm wondering if this is the best I can get for now. I'm going to start ordering parts in the next few days and I want to make  sure I don't miss anything.

And thanks for the suggestion on the oil sensor. The Quad instructions said it was ok to put some silicone tape on the threading, so I did it. So far I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm feeling like my turbo is limiting me in a big way. Wish I would have paid more attention to it a long time ago.

Thanks man. I don't get to spend as much time as I'd like working on the truck, so I don't get to learn about it as much as I want to. I did the lift pump and injectors, and I replaced the tappet cover gasket which required removing the VP44, but I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be with it.

It seems like everything I've read about turbos was based on size and shaft play/maintenance. So I'm kind of blown away that I missed all of this info about the wastegate and boost elbow. Seems like that info would be part of a basic upgrade discussion or thread, but I don't remember coming across it in any of the beginner/basic discussions I've read.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll be trying to read up and work on the truck some more in the coming days. If you guys have any advice or can think of anything that you'd like to share, I'm all ears.

Does Quadzilla not mention the need for a boost elbow in there instructions? My Comp came with one and the Banks system I put on back in 05 came with a new exhaust housing with a waste gate that opens around 33 #'s. Thats what is currently on my truck now so I did not need one.