• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

busted console lights

Well the other week while poking the passenger side overhead light it broke and would not click on or off anymore. Beings I had a lot else on my plate it seemed pretty insignificant at the time. So last week I went for the drivers side and bang it came apart. So this weekend I pulled the console and put them back together. All the parts were still in the console and it seems that the switches had just come apart. I glued them back together with RTV since that was all I had and hope they stay together. If not I will super glue them the next time.

• Like 1

:lol2: you have about two weeks like like that then you can super glue the pieces to your finger on the second go round as I did.  Then sitting there ticked off at my old mans shop he proceeds to walk over with the tablet and said "why you trying to fix it there fairly cheap considering the pain you are putting yourself through, here check this out"  I look at the tablet and see this http://www.moparpartsdeals.com/auto-parts/1999/dodge/ram-2500/base-trim/5-9l-l6-diesel-engine/body-cat/overhead-console-scat/?part_number=sn96tl2aa 

Hope that helps.....

• Like 1

I acually have 2 switches from Radio shack I bought a good while back for less than 10 bucks as I remember. just did not feel like breaking out the soldering stuff Sunday evening. So we will see how long this lasts. Appreciate the link.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

I acually have 2 switches from Radio shack I bought a good while back for less than 10 bucks as I remember. just did not feel like breaking out the soldering stuff Sunday evening. So we will see how long this lasts. Appreciate the link.

I probably have the same 2 switches sitting in my toolbox. I had read the repair thread on CF when mine broke but like yourself all of my pieces were there so I just glued them until they let go again

2 hours ago, BBHD said:

I probably have the same 2 switches sitting in my toolbox. I had read the repair thread on CF when mine broke but like yourself all of my pieces were there so I just glued them until they let go again

Pretty sure that is where I saw it too. I had forgotten some soldering was involved and just was not into that Sunday. If they let go again I will break out the iron.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chris O. said:

Another option is GENUINE OE new switches.

The above link I posted is also genuine oe from dealers.  It's back stock and N.O.S parts when I get parts from them they are in MOPAR packages and come from different dealers throughout the country, every dealer has checked out so far....  The more information the better that's what we're here for.

• Like 1

I but some OE stuff in this way. Just bought a new spare tire winch. Turned out the dealer that had was 5 miles from the house. Just went in and got. They wanted $135 for it and asked them about the internet price of $90. And thats what I paid for it. Saw it on ebay. Cant say that much for the spare tire. Its gone.

• Like 1

I did. Coming home 2 week ends ago a fellow was in the left lane and did not want to move over. I tired of this and went to pass him in the right lane. Well he sped up and I did not back off. I got around him and then looked in my mirror to see him way back. That is when I saw the tire about 30' in the air and coming down. It hit the shoulder and went over a steep embankment. Very lucky it did not hit anyone. I went back and could not see it and the embankment was to steep for me to climb. So bye bye tire and wheel. Had I not looked in the mirror I would have never known it came off. It appears that the stamped metal plate that goes thru the wheel came off the cable. It is only held on by a crimped connector and they cable does not appear to be frayed unless they all broke at the same place. It has been too wet or too cold to do much with it. 

• Staff

One way to slow down rude drivers :cummins:

Its about time those cheesy cable wheel holders will be rusting thru. All us should be doing something about them.

Not  trusting mine about 4 years ago, I put a chain and chain binder across. I think the chain is a bit easier with the right length. Just hooks to the frame and then a small binder holds it well.

For good measure, place a stainless hose clamp on the chain binder handle to lock it.

Somebody posted a thread here a while back about their cable breaking. Got me to looking at mine every time I had the spare for whatever reason and I never saw anything alarming. Just never dawned me to look a the crimp connector. It has me thinking about doing something to it to be sure that does not happen again. But if the new last 15 years it might not be an issue for me.

I would hand a piece of advice to all. Check the darn for fraying AND the crimp connector holding it together. If that thing would of hit someone it would not have only been bad for them but this day and time I could smell lawsuit happening.

• Staff

Part of the problem is being on the underside with the crimp, the cable and the bracket, all possible. unlike metals .

Kind of made at a quality that is death threateningly cheesy too, if you ask me.

Sorry for ranting Dripley.

No problem brother man. The crimp fitting does look dissimilar to the steel cable but not sure what it is. It did last 15 years but with as big a bomb it is holding up I think a different type of connection would be called for. 

• Staff

That's the problem.... after 15 years you forget until one day it decides to go. Hopefully it hits a wanted murderer, not a good person.

One guy slowed down and saw his spare passing him on the shoulder

I took one look at that bracket and thin cable. At the time the truck had 50k. I decided to do something about it.

Well I put the winch and got a much better look at what happened. When I looked up under there a couple weeks ago the cable was not unwound, just the couple inches. I guess being in the wind unwound it dont know. But I was shocked to see how bad the cable was frayed and missing 3 of 6 strands. Time to get my eyes examined. I helped the guy get my spare on last time and never saw it falling apart even had my hand on the cable.DSCN0716.JPGDSCN0717.JPG

Pretty easy swap except the bolts were hard to get my big hands on.

I did unwind that cable just to get a better idea of what I lost.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

Nice work, looks just like the brand new one I got sitting under my mud room bench, took a look at how the old one broke and decided against installing the new one.  Mine unwound on me part way before jamming again in travel, that was a interesting walk around when getting fuel, oh look my spare is now two inches off the ground....  now that bell and cable just dangles under my truck and looks like a pair swinging in the breeze...:)

Edited by WiscoRedkneck