• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Factory alarm question

Ok guys this is starting to drive me nuts.  When I use the keyless remote to unlock my truck it occasionally sets the alarm off (3 long honks).  It doesn't do it all the time but of course usually at 6:30 am when I'm going to work.  It's not like the short honk when locking it but 3 long ones.  Has anyone experienced this or know why?  I thought it might be the remote but it does it with both of them.  I have taken the remote apart and put tape over the contacts for the panic button to disable that and it still happens.  Not happening all the time is what has me baffled.:doh:

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

D

• Staff

I think your central timing module is bad.  Get the part number from Dodge incase it superseded then see if you can find a used one on Ebay with that part number.  You'll have to reflash your fob to the new (used) CTM.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56045448AD-2001-Dodge-Ram-1500-2500-Body-Control-Central-Timer-Module-BCM-CTM-/252812249103?fits=Year%3A2001|Make%3ADodge|Model%3ARam+2500&hash=item3adcc8c80f:g:u2kAAOSwCU1Yx2Wj&vxp=mtr 

So there are two different deally-ohs with the fob and actual alarm. The fob is just for the panic alarm. There was a security option as well. If you send me the last 8 of the vin I can tell you which you are supposed to have.

Thanks @jlbayes I will get that in the morning.  I'm pretty sure I have the security system as it has the little red blinking light on the overhead. 

I just found the build sheet and it has the alarm.

Last 8 of vin 1G762141

Thx

D

Edited by SilverMoose
  • Like 1

Since you are in the beta testing team of my overhead gauge. Whatever you do don't replace the CTM yet until you receive my beta test gauge please.  You will be able to read the codes if there is any, i would really love to see the log files.
Just keep this in mind ok.

• Staff
10 hours ago, Chris O. said:

Since you are in the beta testing team of my overhead gauge. Whatever you do don't replace the CTM yet until you receive my beta test gauge please.  You will be able to read the codes if there is any, i would really love to see the log files.
Just keep this in mind ok.

Do you mean that you can see history of the truck and its error codes that have cleared in the past?

I ask because I just bought an 01 that has the factory alarm and would like to know the work that was done to it.

Edited by JAG1

Do you mean that you can see history of the truck and its error codes that have cleared in the past?

(CTM) CENTRAL TIMER MODULE
I can only read 6 DTCs
Wiper Park Switch
Key Cylinder Disarm Switch
Door Lock Switch
Door Unlock Switch
Module Hardware Fault 1
Module Hardware Fault 2

SilverMoose How about you try this:

enable/disable horn honk when locking doors
This process should work on all second gens (or at least late model second gens with factory keyless entry) gas and diesel alike. should also work on dakotas and durangos.

with door closed, put key in ignition and turn key to the "on" position without starting.

on the keyfob, hold down the "lock" button for 4 seconds, and then push and hold the "unlock" button while still holding down the "lock" button until you hear a chime. release both buttons, turn the key off, and you're done!

make sure NOT to hold down the lock button longer than 10 seconds before pushing the unlock button or the process will not work.

3rd/4th gen trucks have a similar process to enable/disable horn report on door lock, but instead of using the unlock button after the 4 second period, they use the panic button, otherwise the procedure is identical.

• Like 2

take the CTM out, wrap in foil tape from home depot, never hear 3 honks again.  The radio frequency dodge used was vulnerable to other radio devices such as keyfobs, police/fire radios, motion activated doors, etc and will trigger the tamper honk.

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1772.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

Edited by joeld79
  • Like 1

On 3/24/2017 at 10:15 PM, SilverMoose said:

Thanks @jlbayes I will get that in the morning.  I'm pretty sure I have the security system as it has the little red blinking light on the overhead. 

Last 8 of vin 1G762141

Thx

D

Yessir and no panic alarm which my 01 has. 

On 3/25/2017 at 1:10 PM, Chris O. said:

(CTM) CENTRAL TIMER MODULE
I can only read 6 DTCs
Wiper Park Switch
Key Cylinder Disarm Switch
Door Lock Switch
Door Unlock Switch
Module Hardware Fault 1
Module Hardware Fault 2

SilverMoose How about you try this:

enable/disable horn honk when locking doors
This process should work on all second gens (or at least late model second gens with factory keyless entry) gas and diesel alike. should also work on dakotas and durangos.

with door closed, put key in ignition and turn key to the "on" position without starting.

on the keyfob, hold down the "lock" button for 4 seconds, and then push and hold the "unlock" button while still holding down the "lock" button until you hear a chime. release both buttons, turn the key off, and you're done!

make sure NOT to hold down the lock button longer than 10 seconds before pushing the unlock button or the process will not work.

3rd/4th gen trucks have a similar process to enable/disable horn report on door lock, but instead of using the unlock button after the 4 second period, they use the panic button, otherwise the procedure is identical.

Thanks @Chris O. I will give that a try.  I was wondering if there was something like that (like the doors locking at 15 mph).

@jlbayes so mine doesn't have the panic feature?  Interesting and will verify.

Thx to all

D

On 3/24/2017 at 10:15 PM, SilverMoose said:

Last 8 of vin 1G762141

Thx

D

Not according to the sales codes. Unless I am blind lol

Edited by jlbayes

Maybe added after the original sale. My wifes 1st Dakota did not have cruise. We added it and it looked factory. Just like the one that came on my truck. Not sure what you have to add for the security system though. 

Edited by dripley

I need to check further.  I got the truck from my brother who bought it new.  I don't think he would have added it but maybe he did.  Would that be a software update or new BCM?  I do have the original window sticker and will check that.  

@jlbayes are you saying it has the alarm but no panic feature?  Sorry a bit confused.  Rough week at work already. Is it Friday yet.  :cheers:

Thx

D

12 hours ago, SilverMoose said:

I need to check further.  I got the truck from my brother who bought it new.  I don't think he would have added it but maybe he did.  Would that be a software update or new BCM?  I do have the original window sticker and will check that.  

@jlbayes are you saying it has the alarm but no panic feature?  Sorry a bit confused.  Rough week at work already. Is it Friday yet.  :cheers:

Thx

D

No bcm. CTM ;)

The panic feature and security alarm are separate features. With my panic alarm I can open the doors locked from the inside without it going off. I can however hit the button on the remote and it will go off. With security alarm it would go off if you tried to open a locked door.

I have a truck doing the same thing but the key fob does not work, so the truck will not start, is there any way to bypass the CTM to get the truck running again ? Dealer said they can get a new fob but can not program it so the truck just sets now