• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Injector Time

3 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Completely baffling how a guy that rebuilds Cummins injection pumps can tell me right off what went wrong and why I most likely got stranded and had to be towed home. And then when he gives me the part I need tells me that a VP44 will blow its diaphragm, that high fuel pressure above 12 will have a cumulative effect and eventually blow the diaphragm :ahhh:

Then goes on to tell me that when the overflow valve is open it will starve the injection pump for fuel, that fuel gets diverted back to the tank when open.:ahhh:

Yet the rebuilder has done a good job on both rebuilt injection pumps I got from them. One VP and one VE.:think:

Please elaborate.....  Who, when, what happened...?

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sorry VP44 No longer has a diaphragm.

Well.....yes thats true in the sense that its no longer a thin plastic disc but rather metal/metal over plastic.  So I guess it should be called a "separator".

On 3/27/2017 at 0:30 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

HX35/40 vs VGT? Seriously? 

Yep they make about the same hp. The vgt will spool faster but make more torque obviously.

On 3/27/2017 at 0:40 PM, Me78569 said:

Meh no issues here,  However I am well within the map of the turbo :) 

Push it out of the map and see what it does. :whistle:

The hot side chokes and egts rocket. He'd likely be able to tune around it some due to his controller and quad.

I always ran the he351 at 40psi. Same compressor. Any more and it would get HOTTTTT fast. Any less would show increase in smoke.

• Like 1

• Staff
9 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Please elaborate.....  Who, when, what happened...?

Well.....yes thats true in the sense that its no longer a thin plastic disc but rather metal/metal over plastic.  So I guess it should be called a "separator".

Michael Nelson put in my rebuilt VP, which I bought thru Eric, came from Pacific Fuel injection, has been good so far. Then my first gen, my other truck needed a new VE pump but Eric was sick at the time, he was closed, so I bought the rebuilt direct this time from Pacific Fuel injection. One day the first gen with the VE left me stranded and had to be towed home. I had been thru just about everything trying to solve an idle problem when it left me stranded. So I called Pacific fuel injection and asked what inside my two week old VE pump could cause it to suddenly not start when It was clearly getting fuel, compression and air. He told me to check the Fuel Solinoid shut off valve. We check for its operation with a stethoscope and volt meter and sure enough he was right. So was Michael Nelson BTW, when I called him for advice too. Anyway, Pacific Fuel injection let me meet him at his house on a Saturday to get the new part since he was to guarantee the newly rebuilt injection pump. That's when we discussed the VP44 at his house since I told him I have his pump in that truck I was driving.

I was amazed at his information about the overflow valve, telling me to stay below 14 psi or it shuts off fuel to the injection pump and directs the fuel only to the return line and starves  injection pump fuel demands.

Never heard anything like that before and was surprised to say the least. Not wanting an argument, I left on a good note wanting only to get my old truck running again. Which it fired up right away BTW. I was happy except for the ongoing rough idle problem.

I think it is robbing antifreeze meaning a new head gasket most likely my rough idle problem too.. I'm keeping an eye on it for now. I'm not calling Michael Nelson any more.... I have called so much over this first gen and its problems I think he's pretty pissed or at least tired of it. I know I would be. Proly called 30 times for advice. I got pretty emotional over my first gen, wanting it back again. I had the old girl for 20.5 years as a work truck every work day as a faithful companion so I was distraught over it acting up and kept calling Mike all the time.

Now I got a newer 2001 SLT Lariet that I'm starting to like that will become the new work truck when its ready.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
5 hours ago, KATOOM said:

Thanks,  Interesting story..... But I thought your comment was directed at Chip from Bluechipdiesel.

No mostly the things you hear from people supposedly in the know is what's surprising. And here I got rid of my hip waiters quite awhile ago. lol.

4 hours ago, JAG1 said:

No mostly the things you hear from people supposedly in the know is what's surprising. And here I got rid of my hip waiters quite awhile ago. lol.

We're seemingly hijacking this thread.....but I'm becoming more interested in what you're alluding to.  Is most of your frustration from Pacific Fuel Injection?.....or other things?  Sounds like you want to vent some more. :thumbup2:

Yeah this thread was hijacked but the first few posts gave me what I was looking for.  Thanks to those who stayed on topic early.  Apreciate the response will be doing the RV275s in the near future also going to do the valve adjustment for the first time.

• Like 1