• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help me pick Turbo/Injectors

38 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

the possiblity of blowing something up if you drive dumb lol.  

Just drive smart and it wont be an issue, not ideal, but better than buying things twice.

This. Smoke can be an issue and you'll have to drive like a little ol lady.

• Like 1

Got it.

So what would be like the no-no's if I ran 150s with hx35 and xzt? No romping, WOT runs, heavy towing?

If I was able to upgrade injectors and get the quad adr at the same time would that make things less prone to becoming a grenade if I did something stupid?

you will have to drive much more by EGT's  the hx35 will spool like crazy so you iwll just have to keep your foot out of it.  

The adr would allow you to pull fuel so it would actually be a pretty good setup, but I wouldn't worry about what you have now, just be smart with your right foot.

Cool, I just wanted to make sure I understood what you guys were saying when you said, don't be dumb hahah

I might end up finding some good used rv275's and rolling with those for a bit. Pretty sure my current injectors are on their last leg.

• 1 month later...

Alright guys, I've been doing a lot of research and I think I've pretty much decided to go with what you suggested and get some 7x.010's. Two questions...

1. VCO or SAC?

2. Is it reasonable to assume that since I don't have a wire tap box (xzt only) and for now just the HX,  that I shouldn't need to worry about EGTs unless I was really trying? Was reading the 'injector myth' thread on CF and everyone was saying .010's on a canbus box only make EGTs manageable. Definitely need to keep an eye on them when towing a bit heavy but still easily doable. So is this still true or do we more now then we did in that old thread?

• Owner
51 minutes ago, notlimah said:

1. VCO or SAC?

I'm running the 7 x 0.0085 (+75) SAC injectors from DAP. They flow more like +90HP because of the pintle mods that have been done to them. The only thing about these is the launching with a manual is rather lopey. With this setup, I'm running with the HX35/40 (60/60/12) and the SAC injectors are not hot at all. EGT's have been very manageable using the Quadzilla for a tuner. I've got to say thanks to @Me78569 for the last bit of help tuning. 

ivw been doing a bit of reading on turbo selection for larger injectors since I bought the 7x.0105s I have and from what I have read the smoke and egts can be easily managed with non wire tapped tuners and a stock turbo with mindful driving. All what I've read said that as long as you don't drive like a dope mashing it to the floor it all the time it can be driveable without melting down. I've not installed my sticks yet because of being so busy but I plan on throwing them in before I get a larger turbo just cause well I can't stand looking at them sitting in the box anymore. I'm definitely not letting anybody but myself drive it until I buy a bigger turbo. My injectors are vco by the way. Got them for a steal of a deal is why I went with vco's. 

Yea that's basically the same thing I've been seeing. It just seems so sketchy lol! I'd hate to get some 7x.010s and then only be able to drive around empty or tow like 25mph lol! Those guys seem to say that you can do it all and EGTs will stay in check with just canbus but I don't know if I want to find out myself. Part of me is thinking of just going with something like 50-75hp sticks and then just replacing those when I go with a bigger turbo since they're 'cheaper.'

You'll have to let me know how the truck runs with those bigger injectors. What turbo are you looking at getting? Also, what kinda work do you have done to the trans?

Been leaning towards a BW s300 frame got to narrow it down 100% yet but at minimum gotta be at least 62mm on the compressor side. Thinking a 62/65/12 is what I'll go with. Trans wise is stock in the truck currently but I'm gathering parts to build the one I have in my garage. I know I should probably wait to put it all together at once (turbo,trans,injectors)  but I'm impatient and I don't listen to my better judgement sometimes. I'm really the only one who drives it so I guess if I do have the injectors in and the stock trans craps out I can only be mad at myself. The wife don't drive it so can't blame her lol

Yea I think you never can tell with the stock trans. Some seem to hold up pretty good with mild tuners and others crap out at stock power. I think you'd put the trans out of its misery with the new turbo and injectors guaranteed. Heck, just this injectors might do it! 

I think the 62/65/12 is a work horse of a turbo from what I've read. If you don't ever tow you could probabaly get away with slightly bigger, but I think I'm going the same route as and run a 62/65 or 68/12 once the time comes.

• Owner
10 hours ago, CumminsTech said:

I have read the smoke and egts can be easily managed with non wire tapped tuners and a stock turbo with mindful driving.

Easier with the Quadzilla Adrenaline. You can actually set you fuel map below stock to set your own defueling curve that you want. Like I'm starting out at 85% of CANBus fuel and working my way up from there to 137%. I'm currently not running any wire tap at all.

• Owner
8 hours ago, notlimah said:

Does one run cleaner then the other in general though? Like once they get big enough to matter?

Depends on the design of the nozzle and clean the holes are. Then where they pop tested to tight tolerance? How about flow matching the six nozzles to close to the same flow rate too? Like from what I remember the old Edge Jammer nozzles were pretty dirty for injectors. Low quality? Poor build?