• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help raptor 100 problems

problems just installed raptor 100 last week held psi at 15psi idle. Drove to work on way back home truck started dieing out every now and again would pick right back up got home checked psi because mechanical gage mounted outside of cab! Psi wa at 14.5 Rev truck up to 2krpm psi was at 12psi let out of throttle psi drops to zero then will bounce to 5psi back to zero and will eventually make it back to 14.5psi. Cranked it up today psi dropped to zero and truck died. Truck info 02 dodge 2500 bone stock with raptor 100 lift pump 151k miles. Any helo will be appreciated first post take it easy on me

Something possibly off in the plumbing. Did you use a big line kit? How's the return plumbing routed? Might also check for pinched fuel line, or possibly your tank is having issues venting.

Sorry I know that's a lot of random stuff but just the first things that came to mind. I've never experienced this so I don't have a more direct route for you to check. 

Maybe someone else will and can chime in.

• Like 1

• Staff

Mine is the Rapter 150 installed new two weeks ago. Mine is doing something similar only it's always above 14 but jumps to almost 25 psi when accelerating. I want the idle pressure for a VP truck to go no higher than 18-19. So I called them and they sent me a new 150 which I got in 4 days. They want me to send back, in their return package, the one that's acting up.

You really need a pressure gauge in the cab. Staying above 14 is important to not cause wear to the injection pump. Idle or THE highest pressure should be no MORE than 18-19. A lot of guys install the big line kit from Eric so when hauling heavy on the hills the psi won't drop below 14. Best to see around 15 at lowest.

You should also remove the inlet screen on the pump and install a pre filter so clogs won't ruin the flow if clogs develope in that tiny screen. I don't know what Pur flow is thinking with that screen in there. That's a ruin injection pump just waiting.

Matt is right about the tank vent, it's right down there where all the dirt flies up and can get clogged it's always vacuuming a tiny bit of dirt into the tank. I routed mine up high with a easy flow inline gas filter on the end of extended tubing.

You can make your fuel cap vented too in an emergency by drilling holes but try running without the cap and see.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Guess I should've asked the most obvious question.... is the tank full? Any chance your getting air in the lines causing the drop?

@JAG1 that sounds like a return spring/ball issue. Saw something similar on my FASS so assuming your 150 has a return spring/ball, I'd check there.

• Like 2

• Staff
14 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Guess I should've asked the most obvious question.... is the tank full? Any chance your getting air in the lines causing the drop?

@JAG1 that sounds like a return spring/ball issue. Saw something similar on my FASS so assuming your 150 has a return spring/ball, I'd check there.

Thanks. Tech guy at Raptor asked me not to mess with it and send it back. I have a new 150 sitting on the bench.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the response it's been pouring rain but as soon as it quits I'll check the plumbing in the tank and yes I did run the big line kit. And the tank is half full and no screens on raptor pump

Also I tried running it with out cap same results so sounds like Im sucking air. Has to be the in tank. Just FYI the upgrade fuel module kit that airdog sends with the raptor sucks. Its three different pieces top is metal then you attach a hard plastic piece to it and the a flexible corrugated plastic piece to that

IMG_4218.PNG

That looks like a typical aftermarket setup for fuel basket, although I don't know Airdog/raptors quality in regards to that. I'd 100% trust a fuel module from Eric @Vulcan but fwiw, it looks identical to the one you already have so again, really just a matter of quality one way or another. 

• Like 1

• Owner

True. There are a safety and legal issues with sumps. Bottom draw is illegal. For me, all I'd have to do is drive over a log or rock and that sump would vanish and so would the fuel in my tank. I do go offroad quite a bit. 

As for the draw straw I've got one of the old ones from way back in 2006 and no issues to report and can run well below 1/4 tank without a single problem. Most draw straw issue come from people cutting the tip wrong and way too short. Take notice its a straight cut, lightly notched (less than a 1/16"), the total gap to the tank is the thickness of one quarter coin with empty tank. Do not do this will a full tank the gap will be wrong. The tank will naturally deflect away from the draw straw as you fill the tank as it empty it will pull up tighter to the straw again because of less weight of fuel being present. 

drawstraw-tip.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

I'm personally not a fan of running a sumo but I know tons of people run then without issues both mechanically and legally. Whether it's actually legal or not I won't comment but I prefer the factory like liberty module. Definitely on the spendy side, but I really like that setup. I'm running a drawstraw 5 and it's basically the DIY version of that liberty module. 

8 hours ago, Hudsondust said:

Thanks guys for the response it's been pouring rain but as soon as it quits I'll check the plumbing in the tank and yes I did run the big line kit. And the tank is half full and no screens on raptor pump

Also I tried running it with out cap same results so sounds like Im sucking air. Has to be the in tank. Just FYI the upgrade fuel module kit that airdog sends with the raptor sucks. Its three different pieces top is metal then you attach a hard plastic piece to it and the a flexible corrugated plastic piece to that

IMG_4218.PNG

Thats the set up I have. Working fine now for near 7 years. Same fuel basket also. That was the only good thing that came from the in tank pump Dodge blessed me with 10 or 12 years ago. I did put a spring clamp at part 2 and 3. Think it came with it.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

:thanks: Thanks again guys! Glad I found a group that will help and not bash people on every post. Rain suppose to clear out tomorrow here in the foothills of NC hope to tear into it in the evening will let yall know what I find.

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

True. There are a safety and legal issues with sumps. Bottom draw is illegal. For me, all I'd have to do is drive over a log or rock and that sump would vanish and so would the fuel in my tank. I do go offroad quite a bit. 

As for the draw straw I've got one of the old ones from way back in 2006 and no issues to report and can run well below 1/4 tank without a single problem. Most draw straw issue come from people cutting the tip wrong and way too short. Take notice its a straight cut, lightly notched (less than a 1/16"), the total gap to the tank is the thickness of one quarter coin with empty tank. Do not do this will a full tank the gap will be wrong. The tank will naturally deflect away from the draw straw as you fill the tank as it empty it will pull up tighter to the straw again because of less weight of fuel being present. 

drawstraw-tip.jpg

The bottom of my draw straw was already cut from the factory at a 45deg. Alot of guys I know run the sumps and haven't had any problems as far as legal. One even runs hot shots in and out of weight stations all the time. But knocking the sump off is a concern I have. I haul alot for my uncle on the farm and always in and out of fields. One terrace one knock it off or worse crack the tank

Edited by Hudsondust

I think once the sump is in place it'll stay there. I believe I've seen a video of one being drug all over while still being attached to an actual tank and it held fine. The bigger concern imo is the fuel lines getting ripped off or torn.

• Like 1

@dripley lol. Yeah I believe it's still there. I worked at Espey Hardware in Hildebran for 4 years. 

Well truck is running installed edge juice with attitude. And i just hated to drop tank or take bed off again. So I opted out for the sump gotta a good deal from Ohio Diesel Products for $60. Fuel set at 18psi. One more ? Is it ok to run the edge with out tapping the vp. The guy I got edge from had every thing but the wire tap

Edited by Hudsondust