• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Pdi or diesel power source exhaust manifold

Looking at a new manifold. It's between the pdi or dps. Pdi seems to be way good. Dps haven't heard to much from them what I have it's been good. About a $300 difference. I don't care for bd or ats or afe. Steed speed is another I found but they just seem like they offer a good warranty that's it. 

• Staff
18 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Why are you wanting to change? The only manifolds I recommend are Stainless Diesels. Hard pill to swallow for most however. If you are looking for a bump in performance, do not waste your time.

Trucks that haven't been messed with are generally sought after/ worth more.

When I went looking for another truck I could not believe the crazy stuff I saw from previous owners obsessed with power mods. Some of them spent noticeable amount of money but yet no upgraded fuel system for basic reliability.

• Like 1

• Owner

Then there are some folks that spend an ungodly amount of money on modifications and no real power gain was produced. On our 2nd gen 24V engine the stock intake air horn and exhaust manifold are good for at least a 450-500 HP. Then the gain from aftermarket is very small at best. So now looking at cost vs. gain intake and exhaust manifold are one of the highest price vs amount gained. 

Now if the truck is a quarter mile truck or dyno queen then you need to do everything you can to gain every scrap of power. Daily driver there is going to be next to nothing gained because rarely do you run wide open throttle for long periods of time. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I think that is good perspective. If you have a good truck set up for reliability, I can understand thrill of some power mods, but if you got a good tow rig with all the needed aftermarket items to help the Cummins and truck be reliable... that's a good place to be.

I just sold a first gen Cummins that took care of me and my constn. business for over 20 years. It was a sweet unbelievable truck that helped place us in a better financial situation not having to trade in every so often.

Edited by JAG1

I'll post the dyno graphs tomorrow with the only changes being the manifolds & pump as well as a years time difference. If you can tell a power difference from the manifolds you are a better gear head than me lol.

And I can absolutely believe the crap added to trucks for power mods. I have one that still makes me scratch my head.

• Staff

I saw one that did not start down at the dealers. The inside was well worn with a big air horn and wire tapped under the hood. No fuel system upgrade and the guy took his gauges off so there was an unplugged hole in the top of the exhaust manifold where the pyro was. Nice truck they said with 35 inch tires and aggressive tread tires with good size knobs. I ran:bolt:

Edited by JAG1

• Owner
8 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I saw one that did not start down at the dealers. The inside was well worn with a big air horn and wire tapped under the hood. No fuel system upgrade and the guy took his gauges off so there was an unplugged hole in the top of the exhaust manifold where the pyro was. Nice truck they said with 35 inch tires and aggressive tread tires. Big knobs for a highway  use. I :bolt:ran

Reason most sell them because they abuse the truck and it falls apart around them and they can't understand why the constant failures, bad steering, MPG suck, etc. You cannot just bolt on upgrades and expect to use them unlimited amount without something failing. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner
7 hours ago, 015point9 said:

Just want more power to pull around 9k trailer.

The best way is to remove as much drag and losses as possible. Then you won't need as much power to make your goal. Like myself, my power mods are fairly small even back when I was hauling 10,000 pounds of hay through the fall. No issues to report I could pull it really easy. I will admit the deeper I got into the throttle in 4th gear I was capable of getting the tire to spin even hitch to this.

Current mods...

https://mopar1973man.com/garage/vehicle/101-2002-dodge-ram-2500/?show=mods

The load... 5 one-ton hay bails.

1203161519a.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Do tell I want to know about these add ons and the head scratcher.

LOL you didn't see the pictures of the wiring on this 12v? At the pcm....trans temp sensor....wiring for the pillar gauges. I found screws in the overhead console display.

7 hours ago, 015point9 said:

I read every post about power mods.  Just want more power to pull around 9k trailer. It seems everybody has their own idea when it comes to power.

The only way to add more power to these is add more fuel & air. It is that simple. A manifold will do neither of those.

On 5/4/2017 at 6:53 AM, jlbayes said:

Why are you wanting to change? The only manifolds I recommend are Stainless Diesels. Hard pill to swallow for most however. If you are looking for a bump in performance, do not waste your time.

It's got bolts missing it's been welded once for cracks previous owner. And I got it in the shop now I've upgraded the intake side why not the exhaust. I looked at stainless diesel. It's made for sled pulling.  that doesn't means I can't put on. To me it just means it's not built for my type of truck. 

So what you guys are saying is changing manifolds are a waste of money and time? No real improvements 

• Owner
8 minutes ago, abner99 said:

So what you guys are saying is changing manifolds are a waste of money and time? No real improvements 

Exactly. For about 90% of the members here on M73M will gain nothing from changing out the exhaust and intake manifolds. Most here don't produce enough power to even worry about intake and exhaust manifolds. Now like @jlbayes and @TFaoro now thoes two gents pop to mind because of the fuel and air they are attempting to burn. At that point you would consider the added flow rates of the upgraded manifolds. 

• Like 1