• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

notlimah is correct.  The steering is probably far too toe-in.  If you park the truck straight, then eye ball the front tires, you should be able to tell.  

• Owner

Way too many think you can toss a lift kit/leveling kit and larger tires and everything works. Sorry, it doesn't work that way you need to get the geometry of the front axle back to the way it was without the lift or leveling kit. Axle angles are all wrong after a lift. Typically longer control arms that adjustable will help as well as the adjustable track bar. Then you have to consider the leveraging forces of the larger tire and what it's doing to tie rod ends, wheel bearings and ball joints. Soi now you have to consider larger rational mass and larger leveraging forces on stock parts and people wonder why the "Cool Look" cost so much...

• Owner
26 minutes ago, portlandareae28 said:

I think I would like to find a set of 17" wheels for the truck so I can put the 3rd gen front rotors on it.

Would be better to put an exhaust brake on and then you rarely touch the brake pedal. I service my brakes every 180-190k miles now with stock 16" wheels and stock OEM calipers. Exhaust brake has no technical wear and will extend the brake life quite a bit even with city driving. @portlandareae28 you might not know this but I drive to Boise every other day for @MoparMom to get dialysis. So I'm in Boise traffic every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Exhaust brake works wonderfully in reducing brake wear. 

26 minutes ago, portlandareae28 said:

How many hours do you guys figure for a first time VP44 R&R?

Labor book calls for 4 hours to R&R a VP44. I typically now do then in 1.5 hours without thinking. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I will look into that.  I have all of my parts here for the vp swap this weekend, got an isspro gauge (fuel pressure) as well.  I was thinking about installing the gauge before I do anything to see what my fuel pressure looks like on the current VP, any thoughts on this?  Also going to look for the Mopar1973man ccv thread so I can get all the oil off of the front of the engine, radiator, etc..

The FP gauge is to read pressure off of the lift pump that feeds the VP. That is the critical pressure you need to know. The VP needs 14 psi and above for max circulation of fuel thru the over flow. This give the electronics max cooling.

thats what I was thinking, so why subject the new VP to low fuel pressure if I currently have low fuel pressure?  I know that I have to tap the feed to the VP44 so guessing a full bleed of the system?  Is there a way to check without hurting the new VP if I change everything?

Edited by portlandareae28
forgot to finish typing :-)

Once the VPs out you'd need to do a 'full bleed' either way. Nothing different then bleeding the system any time the fuel lines are open. 

Checking the pressure at the VP won't ever hurt it, just not giving it enough pressure hurts it.

• Owner
5 hours ago, notlimah said:

Checking the pressure at the VP won't ever hurt it, just not giving it enough pressure hurts it.

It does hurt the gauge or gauge senders. Closer you are to the VP44 the stronger the water hammer pulses are and the more damage it does to the gauge. Don't hurt the VP44 one bit but get rather expensive to constantly replacing gauges or senders.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

thats what I was thinking, so why subject the new VP to low fuel pressure if I currently have low fuel pressure?  I know that I have to tap the feed to the VP44 so guessing a full bleed of the system?  Is there a way to check without hurting the new VP if I change everything?

It would be good to know what you fp is before hand. If it is low you can take care of that at the same time you do the VP. Pretty much anytime you open up the fuel system you have to bleed it to get the engine running again. And you should always protect the sender or tap for a mechanical gauge from the VP pulses.

so will the sender and everything fit right under the fuel bowl?  DAP didn't mention anything about the remote hose kit that is in the isspro instructions, and I don't have it.

Edited by portlandareae28
spell check doesn't like the word isspro