• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

First time working with truck suspension

I have a 2001 dually currently leveled with a block and on 315/75/16's all the way around..  It leaves something to be desired from a drivers standpoint to say the least..  I am contemplating whether to go to a 285/75/16 or maybe even down to a 265/75/16.  I like the way the truck looks leveled but have heard it could require some extra attention to keep it leveled and have everything be "RIGHT."  She has 335k miles on her and it is time to go through the whole suspension.  will likely start with the front end and I am hoping to gain some knowledge here on what stuff is a MUST replace (and what parts), what is a "I would do it if I am in that far" and what should be checked to be sure.  I am definitely going to get leveling springs if I decide to keep it leveled and throw the blocks away.  I am open to thoughts on the whole concept as well as advice on what I am in for..  

Thank You!

First i would get under the front of the truck and have someone turn the wheel back and forth and start looking for what is loose. Then I would jack each front wheel off the ground then with a crow bar or something similar pry up and down on the bottom of the tire and see if the wheel is moving, bad ball joints. Then grab tire by the sides and pull in and out, wheel bearings.

With out knowing any of that it is hard to say what you will need. I replaced the OE ball joints around 240k and then the OE steering around 250k. My thought process at the time was that I had enough worn out and marginal stuff that I replaced it all. Probably a little over kill on my part but I figured I would start over fresh. 

While these parts are mostly bolt off and on, if it has been while or never done getting them off can be a real challenge and you will need a ball joint press to get them out. On 4X4 anyway. which is yours 4wd or 2wd? 

Gear ratio? I've got 3.55s and 285 tires and I'm going to down size when these tires wear out. 

Leveled and bigger tires needs and adjustable track bar with the 3rd gen bracket, eliminates ball joint connection at frame for a bushing. 2010 "T" style steering linkage if you're replacing tie rods anyways. 

3.55's as well, and yes seems like 5th gear is on top of the torque curve and 6th gear is under it.    What size tire are you thinking?  I wonder if 265 needs a spacer in the rear?

will the adjustable track bar and 3rd ten bracket eliminate the harsh outer edge tire wear?

Can I run the 2010 T style steering without 17" wheels?  

Sorry, this is all new to me..

Edited by portlandareae28
finish post

2 hours ago, CTcummins24V said:

Gear ratio? I've got 3.55s and 285 tires and I'm going to down size when these tires wear out. 

Why the switch? I'm on 315's now and trying to get down to 285's but probabaly on 17's.

2 hours ago, portlandareae28 said:

will the adjustable track bar and 3rd ten bracket eliminate the harsh outer edge tire wear?

Can I run the 2010 T style steering without 17" wheels?  

Sorry, this is all new to me..

Track bar wont fix outer wear, that's more then likely due to a bad alignment. It will center your axle (left to right that is) and help get rid of the need to constantly correct steering while turning, especially on bumpy roads.

You can run 08+ style steering on 16in wheels but they need a decent amount of offset, can't remember off the top of my head how much but I think most aftermarket that'll fit the truck will come with the neccesary offset but don't quote me on that lol. 

10 hours ago, notlimah said:

Why the switch? I'm on 315's now and trying to get down to 285's but probabaly on 17's.

315's look great and tow fine as long as you want to tow at 70-75mph

10 hours ago, notlimah said:

Track bar wont fix outer wear, that's more then likely due to a bad alignment. It will center your axle (left to right that is) and help get rid of the need to constantly correct steering while turning, especially on bumpy roads.

You can run 08+ style steering on 16in wheels but they need a decent amount of offset, can't remember off the top of my head how much but I think most aftermarket that'll fit the truck will come with the neccesary offset but don't quote me on that lol. 

Wonder if the front dually wheels offset is different?

where do you guys buy parts?  I want to start getting my list together.. 

Still debating on tire size for 3.55 gears and a manual..  Towing 60mph truck is at 1350-1400RPM which feels like it is lugging to me if I need to accelerate to get ready for a hill or to pass, but if I shift down to 5th it puts me up around 2000 which seems to not be a real happy place for the cummins.  I am towing 10k, nothing crazy.

Mine is real happy around 1900 to 2000 while towing. My 5th wheel goes about 15k. That is in any gear. 6 speed with 3:55 gears and 265 75 16's. While mine will still accelerate at 1400 to 1500, I don't like doing that in 6th. 

Thank you. Everyone around here has been trying to get me to go back to them. Hard to do though when one has a hole in the sidewall. I did order a tire today so hopefully in the next week or so I can get them back on. Yes stock height but this truck sits much higher than any I've ever seen. It almost cleared the 315s with only minor rubbing when articulating.