• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket leaking oil

5 hours ago, TFaoro said:

My head was 1300 or 1350... something like that. 

My guides were fine iirc. The valves were pretty tight within the guides. 

I had O rings installed (Fire rings are a different story) I think the extra was $150.

The big money for me was in the exhaust and intake seats. I had them set to a custom depth, hardened exhaust seats, and new intake seats put in. 

Did you put exhaust valves in where intake ones were, so you have all exhaust valves now. I though these seats were already hardened, maybe not. Why change valve depth, what do you gain. 

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Did you put exhaust valves in where intake ones were, so you have all exhaust valves now.

I don't think so.... The machine shop took care of it though, so I'm not  positive.

2 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I though these seats were already hardened, maybe not. Why change valve depth, what do you gain. 

The biggest problem with the removable seats (01.5-02 and some CR's) is the exhaust seats are made from a material that contracts more than the head when EGTs get toasty. That means dropped seats and beat up pistons.

Valve depth was changed to put a bigger cam in.

• Like 1

Just dropped valves and springs off and got them talked in to $1000 out the door pressure test included. He said anymore they do a 3 angle valve job on almost everything, so I'm getting that too. Hopefully pressure test comes back good then I'll be a happy camper. Starting to get over the price, hopefully it pays off in the long run.

@jlbayes yeah I try not to abuse it on daily basis, and I don't keep it above 1000 if continously puuli g a grade, usually down shift if I have to. Few times it stayed right around 1200 for mabe 10 seconds.

And yeah no retorque required on A1 H11 unlike ARP, the only thing I read somewhere they want final torque done on warm motor. I'll do that and then retorque each one of them again one at a time, loosen up and back down. How do you return a Arby's after driving it when you can't get a socket on some of them, do people remove rockers to do that. 

10 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

How do you return a Arby's after driving it

I wasn't aware Arby's was mobile.. Thought they were all static buildings!

I'm guessing your question was about retorquing the studs under the rockers, and yes, you will have to remove them to get the retorque done.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, trreed said:

I wasn't aware Arby's was mobile.. Thought they were all static buildings!

I'm guessing your question was about retorquing the studs under the rockers, and yes, you will have to remove them to get the retorque done.

Got to love when phone thinks it knows better, but yes that's what I meant you got it.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

yeah I try not to abuse it on daily basis, and I don't keep it above 1000 if continously puuli g a grade, usually down shift if I have to.

That's why she started leaking! Gotta beat it now and then to remind it who's boss :wink: 

13 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

No hot torque either. If you do not believe me go watch one of greg_a's yee-yee videos on youtube on a hot torque with 625s. POP goes the weasel.

You're going to need to post that.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, trreed said:

There are a few different versions of the HX40 out there.  The one in your link above has a 70mm exhaust wheel and is too big for your current exhaust housing.

I was only going to use bearing housing and compressor wheel and housing and put my exhaust housing and turbine in. I'm kinda starting to give up on this at this point, may just rebuild the one I got and put it back in till I figure it out. Looks like in not to distant future I'll be looking for a new exhaust manifold too, may just do something then. May even get rid of exhaust brake at that time, not sure yet. K27 was kind of up my alley but with 18.2cm exhaust housing not sure how it would work. Need some real life testing to compare too with similar set up. Stick, 74hp injectors etc.

Wonder if this is a same one as dap selling, may worth it if I rebuild it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner-k27-turbo-/322396996298?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

Yeah nevermind, part numbers don't match, with dap. Probably some odd one.

Edited by Dieselfuture

3 hours ago, jlbayes said:

...... @TFaoro

Ok no hot retorque, never done it before ether, and never had a problem. Just always torqued things down and went back right away and loosen one at time and back to spec. So I'll just stick with that.

Just spoke with dap and confirmed k27 would be a good fit for my needs. Yes a bit pricy for the hp gain but much better then hx35/40 (in his words) I know people had good luck with hybrids. But a guy needs a scrap price hx40 that just needs a rebuild kit and a decent hx35 to make one. Otherwise it's not worth the effort. Plus if I go with too much power (like super B or S whatever) I'll need more parts. Better clutch, different down pipe, bigger injectors, plumbing, etc. The whole 18cm exhaust housing he said works a lot different than holeset do, it's mainly to keep drive pressure and egts down and lag is minimal. But then again I'd love to hear from someone that has one.... so basically it's a 60/58/18 and builds about same boost with more flow (volume) 

Edited by Dieselfuture

50 minutes ago, trreed said:

I wonder if the 18cm^2 number he gave you includes the massive wastegate area.  The actual volutes (snail part) don't look any bigger than the 14cm I have on my truck..

I was wondering the same but hard to judge from pictures. 

I'm doing tapped cover right now and it came out in 5 minutes, didn't have to take vp out plenty of room without the head. Few questions see pictures,  

One this cover set from felpro came with 2 sets of grommets one is just metal washers (what I took out ) and the other is rubber with metal, are they for a 12 valve. So just don't use them or is it something upgraded. 

5966bac82add6_2017-07-1219_07_10.jpg.32555e9d57129b18a9f86a21e52549ac.jpg

5966bb3580f06_2017-07-1219_13_30.jpg.866d1dcaf9c65bbae3c59533afeb773e.jpg

Another is I noticed a small chunk missing on cylinder 4 and a score mark on the side, can't fill it with my finger. Did something went through the motor

5966bad770a69_2017-07-1219_07_24.jpg.9062b856d29729b140dd3029b1e594e2.jpg

@jlbayes @TFaoro

Use the metal washers in the fel-pro kit, should be exactly like what came off the bolts originally.  As for the scoring, looks like something did get stuck in there or a small piece of the ring broke off.  The rule I've always followed is if you can grab the scoring with your fingernail, it's time to rebuild it.  It's hard to see if there's still cross-hatching on that cylinder, maybe it's the angle of the shot

• Like 1

Ok done, not bad at all with no head and at one point I was thinking, man someday I'll be changing that gasket, instead ended up taking head off lol. As for other grommets, they are too big and thick nothing would of fit back, so that answers that. 5966c6ed04b43_2017-07-1220_02_30.jpg.6a9557b8aa6019a469c0ebb04d3daf07.jpg

And as for cross hatching ,it's still there just not as good as I want it to be. Definitely not rebuilding it now. This thing better last few hundred thousand miles yet. I'm kinda jealous of some members here having over 300k and not doing anything to internals yet.

5966c6f67ea00_2017-07-1220_02_15.jpg.e9e1b97a4c7883dd811ea0306f0cb5fe.jpg

Now doing fuel return T and to a surprise oring were not as bad as I expected, probably would of gone much longer but what's another 35 bucks at this point and not the easiest job to do when everything is put back together. 

5966ca5c281a8_2017-07-1220_18_22.jpg.78cfbb8f33cf4a98205fa9407fb870c9.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture