• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

When I first started this a year ago the page was different and did state it was a GL-1 to GL-4 fluid. Then over the months that past that page is no longer in existance the data page is gone now. So I know the site page and data has been changed that why I'm willing to battle this being I remember seeing that Mobil was, in fact, a GL-4 product when I purchased it during the transmission rebuild. Being my warranty is up back in February I've not seen any signs of any transmission problems. So between when I purchased the oil and now the page data and URL have changed. Why? I got no idea...:shrug:

Not sure. I found a spec sheet from 2014 that is identical to the current one. There is something going on. 

The one engineer I asked said the formula for it hasn't changed at all. 

So far I'm very pleased. There is zero color change in the last check of the fluid. I will admit the amount over filled I'm running is pushing some fluid out the vent very minor amount. Still got to get the truck tilted quite a ways to keep from pouring out the fill hole. Every time I've checked the fluid color it still looks bucket fresh yet no color difference. I'm just under 50k miles. Still laying down 250 to 270 miles every other day and still handshaking that stick with no problems.

That's a lot of miles for 14 months. 

Oh I've found several other folks that have been using same fluid in there NV4500, NV5600 and G56 transmissions. I've not hear of any issues as of yet. 

I've read about it in the G56 but results are mixed. Shifting seems to be an issue for some, but not for others. 

It's not even close to the proper spec for a NV5600, as it doesn't use a GL-4 or MT-1. Synchromesh is its own category altogether and not an API rating as far as I know. The NV5600 is known to have premature synchro and bearing issues when it gets a GL-4. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner

Kind of like ATF+4 the specified fluid for the G56 transmission but so many people believe the specified fluid isn't making the grade. Just like going back in history with the Getrag 5 speed transmission running on 10w-30 engine oil (IIRC). Not even in the GL range at all. So I tend to watch specs and specification not exactly have to follow them. Kind of like, here is one 308k miles on the clock I've never ran ATF+4 in my transfer case. Yes I know the transfer case is specified to have ATF+4. I've always filled it with ATF+3 or Dexrtron. No harm or damage has occured to my transfer case from using an out of spec fluid. Kind of like another group using tractor transmission fluid in 47RE transmissions again some have had good results.

So we can go on and on about specs... Doesn't mean the end of the world or your transmission.

At least I'm using a Synthetic Transmission Lubricant, close to the same viscosity at the operational temperature a bit thicker in the cold but synthetics always flowed better in the cold. At least the fluid I have currently is GL-4 rated. The two weakness on the NV4500 was the gear teeth getting hot and popping and the carbon fiber syncros. Being the GL-4 covers the carbon fiber syncros and the viscosity is plenty thick shouldn't have much issues. Daily driver and towing...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner
8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

GL is a gear lube, which is why there are lots of manual transmissions that don't run it. 

Very true... Did you also know there is GL-1 through GL-6 which  Gl-1 to GL-3 and GL-6 is obsolete now.  But the rating is still held. 

As torque and power increase with vehicles most transmissions are now using GL-4 or GL-5 lubricants. Like The GetRag transmission was in the early years of the Dodge Cummins trucks. As for the G56 actually that was DC way of cutting corners and saving some money by not having to stock a special gear lubricant for the G56 transmission. (At least what I understand).

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Holy smokes you guys are kinda agreeing :lmao: 

I was scared away from the fluid you are using @Mopar1973Man because of the cold issues while using it with the G56. It looked about 50:50 on those who did and didn't have issues.

I can say my G56 is very happy with the fluid @AH64ID sold me. Temps are always in check and it shifts very well in the cold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Owner
11 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I was scared away from the fluid you are using @Mopar1973Man because of the cold issues while using it with the G56. It looked about 50:50 on those who did and didn't have issues.

Some of that you got to look at from both sides. Like I've got a buddy down here with G56 trans and using ATF+4 and having shifting issues now. So if he switches up to another GL-4 rated fluid (any name) its not going to resolve the pre-existing shift issues. Like in his case it could be clutch hydros giving some issues maybe? So being truthful about a fluid and how it working is rather hard with existing issues or outside issues impacting shift quality. Like in my case I started out with a fresh rebuilt transmission and worn clutch so my shift quality improved after the clutch replacement. This just points out not all stated issues are lubricant created. 

11 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I can say my G56 is very happy with the fluid @AH64ID sold me. Temps are always in check and it shifts very well in the cold.

Great... I'm glad you are happy with your choice of fluid. 

I just want people to see there is more than just one brand of Synthetic Lubricant on the market. There are several brands on the market. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Some of that you got to look at from both sides. Like I've got a buddy down here with G56 trans and using ATF+4 and having shifting issues now. So if he switches up to another GL-4 rated fluid (any name) its not going to resolve the pre-existing shift issues. Like in his case it could be clutch hydros giving some issues maybe? So being truthful about a fluid and how it working is rather hard with existing issues or outside issues impacting shift quality. Like in my case I started out with a fresh rebuilt transmission and worn clutch so my shift quality improved after the clutch replacement. This just points out not all stated issues are lubricant created.

I'm talking about the cases where they tried the fluid you're using and it wouldn't shift well during winter. They then changed to a lighter fluid during the winter and it shifted fine. There's a HUGE thread about this on CF. John knows the one I'm talking about.

14 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Great... I'm glad you are happy with your choice of fluid. 

I just want people to see there is more than just one brand of Synthetic Lubricant on the market. There are several brands on the market. 

There's TONS of options. I however will not be a guinea pig or use fluids people have had bad experiences with.

• Owner
1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

I'm talking about the cases where they tried the fluid you're using and it wouldn't shift well during winter. They then changed to a lighter fluid during the winter and it shifted fine. There's a HUGE thread about this on CF. John knows the one I'm talking about.

Been I keep traveling for MoparMom behalf every other day even through nasty winter storms at temps as low as -35*F never had a single problem shifting. Now take the temperature and crank it up to as high as 115*F so far this summer and transmission temperature hover at about 160-170*F on average. Still shifting good. At least the NV4500 is cover now by an another good choice of lubricant. 

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

There's TONS of options. I however will not be a guinea pig or use fluids people have had bad experiences with.

I fell for that scare too about how you could NEVER use any but the MOPAR fluid for years. Now to find out there are options and understand what you have to look for fluid wise. Also understand why Mopar created their own fluid line and why for both the NV4500 and NV5600 Transmission again most think its syncro the fluid was design for but actually the fluid was design around gear teeth temperatures.

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Been I keep traveling for MoparMom behalf every other day even through nasty winter storms at temps as low as -35*F never had a single problem shifting. Now take the temperature and crank it up to as high as 115*F so far this summer and transmission temperature hover at about 160-170*F on average. Still shifting good. At least the NV4500 is cover now by an another good choice of lubricant. 

There's a huge difference between our transmissions. I'm speaking purely from the G56 side. It does NOT have a good rep for cold winter conditions inside the G56. Because your syncros are carbon fiber they might bite a bit harder when cold, and that's why they work better. I'm honestly not sure why - I'm glad it works though.

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I fell for that scare too about how you could NEVER use any but the MOPAR fluid for years. Now to find out there are options and understand what you have to look for fluid wise. Also understand why Mopar created their own fluid line and why for both the NV4500 and NV5600 Transmission again most think its syncro the fluid was design for but actually the fluid was design around gear teeth temperatures.

It's not just a scare tactic - using the wrong oil can and did cause problems for many people. I wouldn't have been afraid to use Amsoil in my 4500 (many people have used it and had good luck), but because I could get the fluid I knew would keep the trans happy that's what I opted for. An extra $50 every 100K for oil means nothing to me. I would not have used the fluid you are because very few have run it in that trans. I don't like to be a tester when it comes to a $1500 trans.