• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom Quadzilla Tuning R & D Thread

Me78569

I should note that now the truck is able to stall itself when putting it into gear.  cold truck is worse, but it can still hapeen in some situtations when hot.  I am going to test if timing makes a difference or not, worst comes to worst I might try and up the idle to 800

Another video.  @pepsi71ocean Another video of the result of increasing pop pressure

here's a 30 mph 3rd gear locked pull.  Snap input to %80 throttle.  Same 7 x .012 injectors at 330bar

The truck pulls so so so much harder compared to the 7 x .009s  boost is a touch lower but I am not reving it out yet.  Egts on hard pulls is unchanged.

3rdgear pull.PNG

6 hours ago, Me78569 said:

I should note that now the truck is able to stall itself when putting it into gear.  cold truck is worse, but it can still hapeen in some situtations when hot.  I am going to test if timing makes a difference or not, worst comes to worst I might try and up the idle to 800

Another theoretical question. Sorry in advance, haha.

Let's say your 7x.012's popping at 330 bar are stalling the truck when you throw it in gear. Do you think stepping up to a 7x.014 with the same pop pressure would alleviate this condition, or at least lessen the effect? 

I'm a little on the fence here. On one hand, both injectors need to pop at the same pressure, no pop no fuel. But when the .014's pop, that's an extra 16.67% fuel. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

Yes I would think 7 x .014's would respond better to 330 than 7 x .012's but that;s a wild guess.  

I am going to write in a routine to add fueling if rpms are dropping and below 700.   The reason the truck is stalling is the ecm is pulling too much fuel for the injecfors.  

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

If you do please post up where you found it all at. 

Ok, here it is. And please keep in mind I absolutely understand the stigma with buying things off of fleaBay. However I think with a pop tester, if you aren't leaking and the gauge is accurate, rock on. If I could find something affordable made locally I would have definitely picked something up around home.

Here's the pop tester:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Diesel-Injector-Nozzle-Pop-Pressure-Tester-Dual-Read-Bar-PSI-Gauge-S60H-W-Filter/201600134081?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Here's the Cummins injector adapter:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Injector-Adapter-Holding-Tool-Cummins-5-9-L-Diesel-1998-2002-Dodge-Ram-ISB/321088744729?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I hope postng these links doesn't break any rules. If it's a problem please let me know.

I got some shims coming off of eBay. Pretty pricey, wish I could make them myself. Once I measure them and understand what they are, I might be able to find a cheaper option for that.

I'm pretty excited to start playing with this. I also need to get my Jetta TDI's injectors popped as well, so I think I can justify this purchase. Hell, getting nozzles installed to injectors and popped at my local diesel shop was well over $125 CAD if I remember right. Possibly a lot more.

A little off topic, but what do you guys pay for services like pop testing/shimming where you're from? Labor for everything where I'm from has sky rocketed. My wallet gets molested if I pay for any services. It's why I try to do everything myself. Shop labor is about $115-130 CAD ($90-105 USD) per hour.

I make decent money... But not that decent!

~$20 per injector

Here was a 0-60 run with the 7 x .012's.  Not as clean as I would like but the tune is getting close. 

0-60.PNG

Compare that to the race tune with my 7 x .009's using wiretap.

wiretap.PNG

If you look at where I went WOT vs where I hit 60 the runs are nearly identical.   So 7 x .012's running fairly clean with no wiretap compared to 7 x .009's with more smoke and running wiretap.    In my opinion I would call the 7 x .009 run smokier than the 7 x .012's

As a side note I am pretty sure I have a boost leak.  I am gonna test here in a few days and see.    I am also pretty sure i am pushing hte lockup clutch in the TC beyond what it can handle.  

• Like 1

I find this thread interesting @Me78569. I'm tempted to pull and send out my 100's to Jacobb and have them set up to 330 bar just to see the effects it has with the smarty.

I think that increasing pressure would retard timing a bit, allowing me to have better atiomization on T3. Can you confirm this with the Quad, that upping the pop retards the ignition slightly. 

12 hours ago, Me78569 said:

~$20 per injector

Here was a 0-60 run with the 7 x .012's.  Not as clean as I would like but the tune is getting close. 

This is about as smokey as my dodge is running 0-65 pedal to the floor.  I'm really curious.

I will have to get this starter fixed and do some Roll testing maybe later this week when my ankle clears up.

I can't confirm it actually retards timing, my guess is it does, but I have no way to tell for sure.  

It isn't much if it is there.  like I said after ~1300 rpm you can't tell the difference.  The fuel atomizes better, but I dont think timing is a huge issue.

21 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I can't confirm it actually retards timing, my guess is it does, but I have no way to tell for sure.  

It isn't much if it is there.  like I said after ~1300 rpm you can't tell the difference.  The fuel atomizes better, but I dont think timing is a huge issue.

But I see less smoke in your video's, which leads me to believe that you could see better pre boost spool up (I think)?

16 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

But I see less smoke in your video's, which leads me to believe that you could see better pre boost spool up (I think)?

You are comparing different injector sizes.  the 7 x .009's have a starting point of %15 below OEM fueling commands, the 7 x .012's start at %35 less than OEM duration.  Timing curves are the exact same in the videos

@pepsi71ocean

I have never noticed a big difference in smoke as a result of small timing changes.  The smoke contorl you are seeing is %100 the fine tuning of the canbus fueling command and the better atomization due to pop pressure.   I am cutting OEM fueling by ~%35 offidle.  You can see the fueling graph below.  All Snap throttle input to %100 TPS from idle.  Orange is my Quadzilla tune, Blue is OEM and gray is SW3 on a smarty.  If I was to run on oem tuning it would be a smoke show, same as sw3.   No amount of Revo settings would help.  

stock vs 7.013.PNG

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2017 at 1:15 PM, Me78569 said:

I wish I was at sea level to do a video.  I bet people would be surprised how clean these injectors are at sea level.   The altitude makes 50's seem like 100's in terms of smoke output.  

Now the smoke output your saying is based on your trucks programming with the Quad. I'm fairly close to sea level, at least when I'm not in Reading PA.