• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla Shudder light throttle

Mopar1973Man

It's as if your injectors aren't popping off in the last bit of the graph.   Look at hte first bit and you can see the egt's spike following canbus jumping.  that isn't happening at the end part of the map.  

Does any smoke come out of the tail pipe when it stalls?  If so what color.

Edited by Me78569

1 minute ago, Me78569 said:

It is a stock TC?

I knew you were gonna ask me that.  Had 211k on it when I bought it.  260k now.  I was told it PO had it rebuilt to the cost of $3800, I was told that by the dealer I bought it from.  I was a one owner before me and it was an older gentleman.  He unfortunately passed away so I couldn't find out who he had do it.  I need to pull the inspection cover off and look is the bottom line. 

It's as if your injectors aren't popping off in the last bit of the graph.   Look at hte first bit and you can see the egt's spike following canbus jumping.  that isn't happening at the end part of the map.  

@nomercy_z06

Does any smoke come out of the tail pipe when it stalls?  If so what color.

@kzimmer

Whats the lowest rpm you could see idling around the parking lot?

1 hour ago, Me78569 said:

Whats the lowest rpm you could see idling around the parking lot?

I'm going to have to get back to you with a definite answer on that. The wife's been driving my truck since I sold her SUV (oops).

I can idle around at a half decent pace and only need 3-6 TPS % to crawl along at a half decent pace. I think this likely translates to somewhere in the 950-1100 rpm range. Likely exaggerated because of the hunting.

49 minutes ago, kzimmer said:

I'm going to have to get back to you with a definite answer on that. The wife's been driving my truck since I sold her SUV (oops).

I can idle around at a half decent pace and only need 3-6 TPS % to crawl along at a half decent pace. I think this likely translates to somewhere in the 950-1100 rpm range. Likely exaggerated because of the hunting.

I think what i am going to do is lower the min point where the Quad kicks in, but only for automatics.  

@Me78569

You nailed it. Thanks man. High idle smoothly ramped from 800 to 900 rpm immediately, starting at about 116°F ECT. In 3-4 minutes, 134°, it ended up at 1200 rpm. I'm curious how it's going to work when my ECT's are at -20°F, haha.

Neutral 3%tps rpm is about 950, 4% drops to about 850. Doesn't bother me and is not really noticable unless it's intentional. While driving I couldn't make it act funny even while trying. I'm very happy with the change, thanks again.

Just need someone to see how it works on a manual?

3 hours ago, kzimmer said:

@Me78569

You nailed it. Thanks man. High idle smoothly ramped from 800 to 900 rpm immediately, starting at about 116°F ECT. In 3-4 minutes, 134°, it ended up at 1200 rpm. I'm curious how it's going to work when my ECT's are at -20°F, haha.

Neutral 3%tps rpm is about 950, 4% drops to about 850. Doesn't bother me and is not really noticable unless it's intentional. While driving I couldn't make it act funny even while trying. I'm very happy with the change, thanks again.

Just need someone to see how it works on a manual?

I could try it but my boost offset is strange.. The lope at 950 on my daily tune is getting really annoying.. When I am in a parking lot or slowly cruising around a corner or rolling up to a stop light and it turns green.. Or very slow acceleration... Its really annoying.. Can be avoided with much practice and attention or turning up canbus start point but then I'm way to Smokey! 

3 hours ago, Me78569 said:

The logic has changed for a manual truck so that should be fine. 

So I didn't see anywhere, what is the reason that auto and manual can't have quad take effect the same way?

Kinda assuming it has to do with coasting in gear and stuff like that? 

The base tune used to allow the quad to take over immediately with I believe 1% TPS. For autos it was fine. But for manuals it causes issues with the factory anti-stall feature, that is affected when quad takes over. So Nick changed it so it was based on RPM instead. Solved that problem, but as these things usually go, fixing one thing often affects another. And the "another" was definitely the lesser of two evils and only affected people like me who put injectors in that were way too big, haha.

• Owner
1 hour ago, kzimmer said:

But for manuals it causes issues with the factory anti-stall feature, that is affected when quad takes over.

Anti-stall only functions when the TPS IVS shows IDLE position. If there is any applied throttle the anti-stall is disabled. So in my case launching up a steep grade using throttle its possible to stall the truck because anti-stall is disabled. Leave my foot off the throttle (IVS = IDLE) now anti-stall will kick in and prevent stalling. So the whole slow cruising in a parking lot is not anti-stall but the Quadzilla doing something strange to the fuel signal. All I've got to do is turn to level ZERO this problem goes away. Which this is annoying that drive for 2 hours on the highway is fine to get to the city to turn the Quadzilla OFF to prevent low throttle issues. 

Now as for my previous lope issue I went back through and did re-do on my valve lash and found a few valve a bit tighter than I like. I also returned to the standard 0.010 and 0.020 values. 95-99% of the lopey idle and lopey low throttle is gone now. Very very faint and rare to see now.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

The lope at 950 rpm is literally the Quadzilla and ecm ecm playing ping pong with the control of the signal.    the issue with the manual trucks is if the quad takes over stoo soon in the rpm range it becomes very easy to stall because the ecm is going a lot of calculations right off idle.  Pulling that down by a large % means there might be issues.

@Dodgeih   here ya go 11 psi offset of the above tune

11psi offset no lope.exe

4 hours ago, Me78569 said:

The lope at 950 rpm is literally the Quadzilla and ecm ecm playing ping pong with the control of the signal.    the issue with the manual trucks is if the quad takes over stoo soon in the rpm range it becomes very easy to stall because the ecm is going a lot of calculations right off idle.  Pulling that down by a large % means there might be issues.

@Dodgeih   here ya go 11 psi offset of the above tune

11psi offset no lope.exe

Thanks I'll put this on this afternoon thanks for all the time to put into this for all of us

6 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

late year ECM don't report boost as kpa 

They report it as kpa + 12ish psi.  So we have to negate 12 psi from the reading the ecm gives us.  Every truck I have encountered reports that 12psi, except dodgeih's/.

Gotcha. Interesting.