• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff

After seeing the differences in towing with a NV4500 and a NV5600 I wouldn't spend the time nor money on a 5 speed, nothing against them but if your doing the swap do it right. The NV5600 is getting harder to find parts for, but a G56 would work also. I think it takes a little relocating with a ball-pin hammer but I have read about them in 2nd gens.. Its something to consider anyhow. The G56 is much lighter, not quite as strong at a NV5600 but it will handle 500-600+ hp with ease. If you tow often the AD G56 is the one you want, if you don't get the AE. If you have 4.10's get an AE G56.

After seeing the differences in towing with a NV4500 and a NV5600 I wouldn't spend the time nor money on a 5 speed, nothing against them but if your doing the swap do it right. The NV5600 is getting harder to find parts for, but a G56 would work also. I think it takes a little relocating with a ball-pin hammer but I have read about them in 2nd gens.. Its something to consider anyhow. The G56 is much lighter, not quite as strong at a NV5600 but it will handle 500-600+ hp with ease. If you tow often the AD G56 is the one you want, if you don't get the AE. If you have 4.10's get an AE G56.

Whats an AE g56 out of.. Never heard of that before.

I did a swap on my 99, pretty straight forward. I went with the nv4500 because of cost, found one from the wreckiny yard with most everything I needed. Trans, bell housing, fly wheel, clutch, cross member, slave cylinder, clutch and brake pedals. I did have to upgrade the input shaft in my t-case, but that also was a simple fix. The rear driveshaft is unaltered, but I did have to shorten the front by 1.5 inches. I bought the truck for cheap on Ebay and even with the cost of all of the parts it is still cheaper than buying a stick with all the options on this truck.so far the only down side for me is trying to get the pcm and ecm reflashed. I have been to the dealership and an electrical garage and both have been unabe to do the reflash. I may end up having to get one from a wrecking yard or buy them refurbished. I hear that this is only for the 99's though, but you might want to check that out? My trck will be cruising along, then it is like I lift off the accelerator and coast for a few seconds, then with a jolt it is back on the throttle.I would not hesitate to do it again, milage jumped from 17 hwy to over 22 hwy. Not too bad for over 325,000 miles on the truck. Good luck which ever way you go.

• 2 weeks later...

The NV5600 is I think 100lbs heavier. They are both very stout. The 5th gear nut hardly happens on the NV4500, and when it does it's a simple fix. I would rather have to fix the nut every 100k than row 6 gears, though the nut could be fine for life. I think parts are easier to get for the NV4500 too.

Towing-wise (having both a 5spd and a 6spd CTD), the 6speed is so much better at towing heavy loads. The 3-4 split in the 4500 is too big, IMO. The 5600 narrows that gap. Otherwise, rowing 6 gears over 5 is almost unnoticeable.

time wise and money in parts, it would be way cheaper to sell yours and get you one with a stick.

I disagree. I spent a total of around $1900 in swapping my '96 47RE out for the nv4500 with DHD tcase.

I did a swap on my 99, pretty straight forward. I went with the nv4500 because of cost, found one from the wreckiny yard with most everything I needed. Trans, bell housing, fly wheel, clutch, cross member, slave cylinder, clutch and brake pedals. I did have to upgrade the input shaft in my t-case, but that also was a simple fix. The rear driveshaft is unaltered, but I did have to shorten the front by 1.5 inches. I bought the truck for cheap on Ebay and even with the cost of all of the parts it is still cheaper than buying a stick with all the options on this truck. so far the only down side for me is trying to get the pcm and ecm reflashed. I have been to the dealership and an electrical garage and both have been unabe to do the reflash. I may end up having to get one from a wrecking yard or buy them refurbished. I hear that this is only for the 99's though, but you might want to check that out? My trck will be cruising along, then it is like I lift off the accelerator and coast for a few seconds, then with a jolt it is back on the throttle. I would not hesitate to do it again, milage jumped from 17 hwy to over 22 hwy. Not too bad for over 325,000 miles on the truck. Good luck which ever way you go.

I, too, picked up a large amount of fuel economy, going from the 47RE to the 4500 in my '96 SCLB. I didn't have the ecm issues you're experiencing, due to mine being a 12V. Otherwise, all the swap stuff is cake. tcase inputs are different. you can change the input shaft on the tcase, or get a manual trans tcase. the tcase shifter bracket is also different between auto and manual, as well. Midplates are the same. Starters are the same. driveshafts are not (front is too long, rear is too short from the auto.) pedal cluster mount is the same, all you need is the brake/clutch pedals. remove the e-clip from the clutch-side, push the shaft over, drop out the auto brake pedal, put the manual clutch/brake pedals up there, slide the pin back into place, reinstall e-clip. takes like 45 seconds. clutch hydro mount is already there, just remove the rubber grommet, and put the clutch MC into place - tada.. All in all, it took me 3 days, but I ran into stupid issues, like a rusted/leaking fuel line, as well as rusted leaking brake lines, etc., that I also had to replace. Given the chance to do it again, there's no reason why it should take me more than 1 day to complete, even using only hand tools. I even retained the auto's cross-member, that is no where near as hard to remove as many people said it was. No spreader jack or anything needed; that's insane. truly, the hardest part was cutting the hole in the floor correctly. I cannot vouch for any of this to accurately portray a 5600 swap.

As for the the NV4500/NV5600 NEW VENTURE went belly up so NV4500's have'nt been produced since then either. Think last year was 06 in dodge,don't hold me to that. NV5600 as far as finding "hard parts",still plenty for the 4x4,2WD hard to find.The "Hard parts" is'nt what goes out it's the bearings,mainly in the rear housing(lack of fluid),bearing kits are available as well as "Hard Parts" if you know where to look.I can understand trucks setting at DEALERSHIPS waiting for parts,because they won't go outside thier network.I've been through 3 NV5600 only one had a hard part failure(broke a mainshaft) other 2 were bearing failure and in my case not for lack of fluid just stress pulling loads. Alot of NV5600 owners add an extra quart(dodge wants $20 a quart,pennsoil makes syncromesh that meets Dodge/Ford/GM fluid requirement's for about $6 a quart)to provide better lubrication to the rear shaft.Later model NV5600 will handle 650lbs of torque/early models i think were less 600-625lbs torque if i remember correctly.As for HP/Torgue i'm sure the NV4500 will handle 500HP with a bed full of Sail Boat Fuel. 2001 3500 2wd 245hp mainly stock/Fuller 8406 6spd 14"clutch/115 gal aux tank /769k

• Staff

Must have been a LD truck, or maybe a HD hemi?. Dodge only put them behind SO trucks, and early 04 was the last year of the SO.

--- Update to the previous post...

I just did a little quick search, and it may have been offered in gas 1/2 and 3/4 trucks in 05, but I can't find any record of it occurring after mid 05, about the same time the NV5600 went away.