• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

steering damper

Killer223

i can get the OEM for around 280 something. i'll order them tonight.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Steering/dp/B00N4YPPAO/ref=pd_sbs_263_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00N4YPPAO&pd_rd_r=K8VJ0X4RB0WVBRK8RM01&pd_rd_w=hC78C&pd_rd_wg=Fy8ib&psc=1&refRID=K8VJ0X4RB0WVBRK8RM01

still can figure out if i need the new pitman arm or not.

Well that was a spooky 5 minute ride, i installed the "new"  "heavy duty" rancho steering damper. get up to 70, bump in road and death wobble!!!! scared me something fierce.

So, the new parts are on order, along with a mopar damper. this is my first experience with the dreaded death wobble.

Edited by Killer223

yeah well i just ordered the net steering parts,

so. I'ma have to drive my 04 or the Ranger till this gets here then I'll return the Rancho junk.

next is finding a shop that can align it correctly. i know i can get close. but here in this small town... not likely.

Order Number: 114-5158317-4017829

Mopar 68039930AA Pitman Arm will be shipped to Heath Goodrich by Amazon.com.
Estimated delivery: Sept. 28, 2017 - Oct. 3, 2017

Bilstein 33-170794 Monotube Steering Damper, Front 46mm will be shipped to Heath Goodrich by Amazon.com.

Order Number: 114-5206707-9389848

Mopar Steering Steering will be shipped to Heath Goodrich by MOPAR Parts Direct.

in the description it states...

so i'm hoping it's the correct one.

next on the bank account draining spree is a new clutch,

then pending how that goes it'll be an raceme ultra.

Technical Details

Brand Mopar
Item Weight 60 pounds
Product Dimensions 65 x 6 x 10 inches
Manufacturer Part Number 52122362AL
OEM Part Number 52122362AL
Folding No

i may have linked you to the wrong one.. here is the one i ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4YPPAO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

i'm not sure what ones to order, all the parts listings i see, years are 03-07, 08-12... so i'm guessing i need

https://www.genosgarage.com/product/trackbar-bushings-rp22442/trackbar-rebuild

I've tested mine best i could with it still in the truck and see no play in the joints.

I think i'll leave it be for now, and when my other parts come in i'll take it all apart and see what if anything needs replaced.

could always get OEM from mopar in a pinch. The 08 is a street queen, so i have no need to worry about off-road abuse.

All the control arms are in good shape, took bottle jack close to the yoke and got very little movement in them, they are rubber some some play is to be expected. but it was not easy to see. so i suspect the joints are in good working order.

I think i'll try and tackle the alignment my self. might fallow this way.

or maybe this on at the 10 minute mark.

Not sure if I'm coming into this thread too late.....but just adding that I have Rancho 9000's.  They've been on the truck for many years and work amazing.  Love the adjust-ability for towing.

Also, I cant speak for the steering component issues you may be suffering from but a steering dampener wont stop DW.  Whatever is causing DW is likely because of caster adjustment in relation to excess component movement.  

1 hour ago, KATOOM said:

Not sure if I'm coming into this thread too late.....but just adding that I have Rancho 9000's.  They've been on the truck for many years and work amazing.  Love the adjust-ability for towing.

Also, I cant speak for the steering component issues you may be suffering from but a steering dampener wont stop DW.  Whatever is causing DW is likely because of caster adjustment in relation to excess component movement.  

What does caster have to do with DW? I have only experienced DW when my tires were on there last leg. New tires, no more DW. That is only in the last 100k or last 2 sets of tires.

22 minutes ago, dripley said:

What does caster have to do with DW? I have only experienced DW when my tires were on there last leg. New tires, no more DW. That is only in the last 100k or last 2 sets of tires.

Caster is what determines the force placed on or exerted by the front tires (gyroscopic point of axis) onto the steering system and road force.  By changing the caster angle you effectively move the steer axis farther forward or backward from neutral (positive or negative).

Without getting more complicated than that.....when you move the steer axis negative then the tires steering response becomes faster and more twitchy.  But when you move the steer axis positive the opposite happens as the steering response becomes slower and more lackadaisical (per say).

By setting the caster on these solid axle trucks too negative over that of positive, the road force transmits back into the steering components as the tires become more reactionary to both your steering input and the force of the road placed on them.  This causes excessive wear and tear as the components are forced to absorb all this.  Over time the wear causes slight movement over tolerance and you can get DW simply based on the exaggeration of all the movements combined.  Things like old tires will transmit more jarring force too.  Moving the caster more positive lessens the force and creates a more "mellow" feel in the steering, which also removes some of the force transmitted.

The best analogy I've ever been able to think up is shopping carts.  Shopping cart wheels are negative caster and most of us have probably experience those carts with the wildly shaking front wheel(s).  Definitely annoying while pushing it down the store isles, but the same event happening in your truck can be dangerous.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KATOOM said:

then explain how i have zero loose components, the only thing changed was the steering damper, and i got DW, i went back to the stock leaking one, and it's gone.... I'm competent enough to be turning wrenches also.

is it hard to adjust the 9000's inside the front coils?

Edited by Killer223

19 hours ago, Killer223 said:

then explain how i have zero loose components, the only thing changed was the steering damper, and i got DW, i went back to the stock leaking one, and it's gone.... I'm competent enough to be turning wrenches also.

is it hard to adjust the 9000's inside the front coils?

I'm not claiming that every DW issue is a result of improper caster but merely pointing out that its a huge variable in the cause of DW.....and possible solution if applied correctly.

Think of it like shocks...  If your tires are perfectly round and balanced to the gram then they will roll glass smooth...until they come in contact with a bump.  But even though shocks are only there for those bumps in the road, most people try to solve their tire issues with stronger shocks.

I forgot to answer your question about the 9000's.....  I dont adjust the fronts.  They're always at a higher setting like 7 - 8.  But the rears are easy access and I set them at 2 - 3 empty and 8 - 9 when towing heavy.  Well usually only when I'm hooked up to the 5th wheel otherwise the chucking is bad.  Hope that helps.

Edited by KATOOM
  • Like 1

it does thank you.

Well pleasant  surprise today. my new steering parts came in. but well someone messed up, i received 2 boxes. same part numbers, same shipping numbers, two boxes with the same tag... looking at my online receipt, i was only charged for one. the conundrum, what to do with the second set...  send it back? or their mistake and keep it...

IMG_7134.JPG