• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Wont crank just clicks

Just need a little help. Have an 02 Ram 3500 wont crank until it is placed on a battery charger with a start circuit or left on charge over night. I have replaced the batteries twice, left and right battery cables have been replaced, starter has been replaced, checked fuses and the relay they're all good, cleaned all ground connections put dielectric grease on them. At a serious loss on this. Starts fine if its been sitting on the charger overnight. Some days doesn't need the charger some it does. Have put a meter on the starter and when when the key is turned over there is no draw at the starter or batteries. batteries are both 12.7, 12.8. Any help would be appreciated.

Gotcha. I know you said you replaced the batteries, but it still might be worth putting them on a load tester. The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense.

I could give a billion guesses but the part with the battery charger has me a little confused, especially since the 12.8 volt charge. I would disconnect one of the batteries and check the voltage again after a few minutes.  The batteries, while both connected, will measure the same since they are connected in parallel. In theory, one bad battery could cause similar symptoms.

1 minute ago, kzimmer said:

Gotcha. I know you said you replaced the batteries, but it still might be worth putting them on a load tester. The whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense.

I could give a billion guesses but the part with the battery charger has me a little confused, especially since the 12.8 volt charge. I would disconnect one of the batteries and check the voltage again after a few minutes.  The batteries, while both connected, will measure the same since they are connected in parallel. In theory, one bad battery could cause similar symptoms.

Ya thats the problem on my end to it doesn't make sense me!! I have had both battery's disconnected and measured both are 12.7 and 12.8. I wasnt convinced so I made them replace the batteries under warranty again. lol someone at the parts store wasnt happy!!  Thats why I took them back a second time because they did a load test and it showed good. I made them them do a load test on the new ones before I left showed good, but the issue with the load tester is it may not show an internal short in the battery, should but seen where they havent.  have also disconnect my heater grid just for shits and grins to see if that had anything to do with it. I thought maybe a large draw maybe causing the issue however my batteries do not go below 12.7 after sitting all night. I have also had the new starter tested and it was good. 

I should have added more when I say just clicks its the bendix you can hear engage but the starter wont turn.

13 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

It sounds like a weak conection and requires more juce just to crank it over. Does it only do it in the morning after truck set all night, or every time you go to start it. 

Fill out your signature too, it may help us. 

Its intermittent. sometimes it will start and sometimes it wont. Not just the mornings. 

Thanks 

jsmyer

Monitor your battery voltage while you're cranking/or attempting to crank it over. If your batteries are reading high then it's a bad connection between batteries and starter. If voltage drops way down then bad batteries. All my dodges with 2 batteries (and or diesels) have always seemed to get a lot of corrosion on the cables, sometimes to the point that I'd have to build some new cables.