• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Nv5600 temps

Same as any other oils, try and keep the temps under 230-240. If you pull hard you will be amazed at how hot manuals get and how drastic shifting down one gear makes in temps. When I worked at the gear shop we had numerous customers who pulled heavy and routinely melted the gears and bearings of the input shaft. Totally amazing to see. We got to the point we installed temp gauges on most manuals we pulled when we saw this happen and customers would come back in amazement as to what they saw and how much money they could have saved themselves in  repair costs had they changed their driving habits based on trans temps.

• Like 1

• Owner

Both Nv5600 and Nv4500 one gear down from top is 1:1 direct ratio. Drop another gear it's possible to create heat. Temperature gauge on the transmission is well worth it.

My ISSPro EV2 has the warning light programmed for 220*F. Running 50wt Mobil Syn GL4

Edited by Mopar1973Man

51 minutes ago, Wild and Free said:

Same as any other oils, try and keep the temps under 230-240. If you pull hard you will be amazed at how hot manuals get and how drastic shifting down one gear makes in temps. When I worked at the gear shop we had numerous customers who pulled heavy and routinely melted the gears and bearings of the input shaft. Totally amazing to see. We got to the point we installed temp gauges on most manuals we pulled when we saw this happen and customers would come back in amazement as to what they saw and how much money they could have saved themselves in  repair costs had they changed their driving habits based on trans temps.

Ok that's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure, that's what I keep an eye for in my th400 in the mud truck too.

I usually run in 5th pulling any heavy weight to help prevent really high temps so I don't have to deal with melting bearings or gears together and I'm glad I have been!!

37 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Both Nv5600 and Nv4500 one gear down from top is 1:1 direct ratio. Drop another gear it's possible to create heat. Temperature gauge on the transmission is well worth it.

My ISSPro EV2 has the warning light programmed for 220*F. Running 50wt Mobil Syn GL4

Glad I've been running 5th then when I pull a trailer. Sounds like imm be running roughly 210* range just to keep things safe.

I towed with mine in 6th regularly in the flat lands and even on slight grades 2% or so and less as long as it would hold speed at near 50% throttle. Anything more than that I would go to 5th. I did adjust some after getting the trans temp gauge and seeing the temps but not a lot.

• Like 1

• Owner

Let's say towing in top gear for me being 5 speed and all the scare of the 5th gear nut... I never had a single issue with the 5th gear nut. I did snap the main shaft in half at the 3rd/4th shift ring. As for temperatures the only time I seen the warning light was towing on 115*F day up 7 mile 7% grade and did it in 3rd gear instead of 4th gear and the transmission got up to 225*F which was 5 degrees over my set point of the light.