• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Morimoto HIDs and PIAA 530 RF series LED's

• Owner

Here you go gang you all wanted pictures I got them tonight after aiming my PIAAs. The PIAAs are the 530 RF series LED driving lights. 

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/187-LP530-3-5-LED-Driving-Light-Kit.aspx

DSCF4379.JPG

I'll admit the PIAAs are BRIGHTER than my HID's. For such a small lamp package and two small LEDs it really throws a bright patch of light out there. Here is just the PIAAs.

piaa.jpg

Now the Morimoto HIDs on low beam with the PIAA 530 RF series. Look closely you see the step in the beam in the middle of the road. Nice flat cut off of the beam from the Morimoto HID's. The beam path is actaully very wide it will travel at least 25-50 out in the ditch on the driver side. 

morimoto low.jpg

Now Morimoto HID's on high beam.

morimoto high.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner

True. But in foul weather, the HID's seem to get a bit thin in the path at times. This should add more light down your lane. Still, love the Morimoto's HID's D2S. I would love to do my 1996 Dodge the same way... :whistle:

I like the idea it street legal LED lighting instead of the illegal light bars people are constantly using on the highway blinding people. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Me78569 said:

The projectors sure do widen the beam though.  

the LEDS hot spot might be brighter but I think that is due to reflector design and intended use.

Agree. They appear to be a spot vs. a flood. 

Mike pic of where you have them mounted? 

• Owner

This was my first trip with these PIAA's LEDs. I love them. Combined with the Morimoto HID's that make a nice wide path of light the PIAAs give a nice hotspot of light right in your lane. Worked great for traveling the foggy valleys up here. More light on the pavement. 

I've been through so many glass lens lights. Most of them were destroyed by flying stone and shatters the glass the light is ruined. Then I ran 100w sealed beam aircraft light lights for years. Again either the bulbs would burn out at the rate of 9 months to a year or the glass was cracked by a flying stone.

Finally lights with a plastic lens, rock guards, LED's that going to last for YEARS and even brighter than my old 100w aircraft light setup.

• Owner

As long as the Morimoto HID are on low beam and the PIAA's are turned on the distance is good. The Morimoto's on high are bad idea you can't see anything all light reflects back on the fog. Low beam is OK but the pattern is to scattered and wash out with just the Morimoto's in fog. The PIAA LED's have that nice hotspot that travels forward and still lights your highway lane well. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Those are real  nice head lights and PIAAs

I need to do something with mine.

Im not sure what the best housing to get, either single bulbs or sport housings that throw a good beam.

Edited by GSP7

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That's why I sold my sport headlight because the beam is crappy and no good. Even with the relay mod they still really crappy...

What crappy brand did you buy,?  so I know not to buy those

Someone must sell a good housing that has a good 'beam'

Edited by GSP7

11 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Just retrofit and be done.  

Cant afford those $600+ retro shop lights

I just bought a damn ECM

Do you want to sponsor me and buy me some Retro Shops?

Edited by GSP7

If you do it yourself you can do it for way less than half of that.  

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/retrofit-kits-universal/bi-xenon-acme-h1-stage-3-kit.html?preselect=47527%2C47372%2C51405%2C51136%2C47310

$135 for the setup.   They aren't as good as the ds2'sor the mini h1 7.0 projectors, but they will still smoke the output of a halogen setup.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/projector-kits/retrofit-kits-universal/bixenon-morimoto-mini-h1-stage-3.html

$270 for the mini h1 setup

Even with good halogen housings light output still sucks on our trucks.    

Edited by Me78569

• Owner
28 minutes ago, GSP7 said:

What crappy brand did you buy,?  so I know not to buy those

Someone must sell a good housing that has a good 'beam'

OEM Dodge Ram Sport Headlight replacements. Brand doesn't matter. They are all crappy. The second bulb doesn't add that much light. The main bulb is good but the light is scattered. I ditched the Sport because I was still fighting to see at night. 

29 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Just retrofit and be done.  

Yeap... That's the best suggestion.

I wasted quite a bit of money on the sport headlights, creating my own relay kit and the effort plus replacing all 4 of my old 100w aircraft landing lights for driving lights. Still OK at best. Now with the Morimoto HID and the PIAA LEDs way different story. You get what you pay for. You want cheap solution you are going to get cheap quality lights. You want high-quality lights you going to have to pay the price.