• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Owner

Remember as cetane RISES the BTU's FALL! 

This is an ASTM testing label scale for cetane and BTUs. The Dark green is typical summer fuel where the light green is winterized fuel. These are not always exactly these number but it shows the relationship.

cetane-btu3.jpg.718cdb12cd43873ccaa0be5d

Point of Reference: Gasoline is just below the 120k BTU mark...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Colder the air the steeper the timing curve. This can be harmful to MPG because the fact the ECM can measure temperature of everything but can't measure the cetane of the fuel so it could be slightly over timed. Hence this where my MPG fooler was created for. 

Then there is wind resistance difference. Colder the air is denser so you got to travel roughly 5-10 MPH slower to equal the same drag as summer time. 

Lube oils in the axles are going create some drag till warmed up. Being super cold like minus weather it might never really warm up much. 

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Remember as cetane RISES the BTU's FALL! 

This is an ASTM testing label scale for cetane and BTUs. The Dark green is typical summer fuel where the light green is winterized fuel. These are not always exactly these number but it shows the relationship.

cetane-btu3.jpg.718cdb12cd43873ccaa0be5d

Point of Reference: Gasoline is just below the 120k BTU mark...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

Colder the air the steeper the timing curve. This can be harmful to MPG because the fact the ECM can measure temperature of everything but can't measure the cetane of the fuel so it could be slightly over timed. Hence this where my MPG fooler was created for. 

Then there is wind resistance difference. Colder the air is denser so you got to travel roughly 5-10 MPH slower to equal the same drag as summer time. 

Lube oils in the axles are going create some drag till warmed up. Being super cold like minus weather it might never really warm up much. 

Thanks for the graph! Very helpful. I would love to purchase an mpg/ high idle switch from you!  When do they go on sale? 

Im seriously thinking that the weather is what’s causing 75 percent of mpg drop. Liometer when I had the edge ez said 16 so it was prob like 14.5 and with the qaud it said 17.5 which was prob 15 16 mpg. Still I think that is too low for a Diesel engine with low miles. 

As far as injectors with the the qaud I can actually tune them to help mpg right? Or would I be better off with 100s or 75s? 

• Owner
58 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I would love to purchase an mpg/ high idle switch from you!  When do they go on sale?

Been on sale the last half of December. Just went off sale 2 days ago.

59 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Im seriously thinking that the weather is what’s causing 75 percent of mpg drop. Liometer when I had the edge ez said 16 so it was prob like 14.5 and with the qaud it said 17.5 which was prob 15 16 mpg.

Any tuner will foul the overhead trip computer. It's no longer even accurate or even close.Quadzilla can make the the overhead computer go both directions just in the way you shape the fuel map. Too much fuel cutting will go down, excessive smoke in the tune can make it go up. The only true number is hand math. 

1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

As far as injectors with the the qaud I can actually tune them to help mpg right? Or would I be better off with 100s or 75s?

Then biggest thing is getting a fuel map that is not overly low on the start and not going all the way 150%. @Me78569 is right you can run up to mere 120% it will do fine for a daily tune. So my latest tune is 90% to 120% fuel map. Then timing I RETARDED 1.5 degrees to compensate for cetane levels of the local fuels. 

Truth is Quadzilla when it takes over there is no need for the MPG fooler so I'm trying to tune strictly without the fooler. The only time I'm at a loss is warm up time.

36 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Been on sale the last half of December. Just went off sale 2 days ago.

Any tuner will foul the overhead trip computer. It's no longer even accurate or even close.Quadzilla can make the the overhead computer go both directions just in the way you shape the fuel map. Too much fuel cutting will go down, excessive smoke in the tune can make it go up. The only true number is hand math. 

Then biggest thing is getting a fuel map that is not overly low on the start and not going all the way 150%. @Me78569 is right you can run up to mere 120% it will do fine for a daily tune. So my latest tune is 90% to 120% fuel map. Then timing I RETARDED 1.5 degrees to compensate for cetane levels of the local fuels. 

Truth is Quadzilla when it takes over there is no need for the MPG fooler so I'm trying to tune strictly without the fooler. The only time I'm at a loss is warm up time.

Bummer I should have picked one up. 

9 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is why I giggle when I hear people adding even more cetane booster to already high cetane winterized fuel then whine about how bad the MPGs are all winter long. One of the few reasons I like 2 cycle oil it a natural cetane reducer. It will help with MPGs just slightly.

Guess what? I’m going out to dump some in right this minute! Haha! If your ever in the St Ignatius Mt area let’s grab some dinner and talk trucks! :cummins:

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Since chances of that are very low we can always hook up on the phone then I can explain in depth about the theory.

That would be cool! I’m sending you a pm here shortly. 

I know that idling for long periods of time are hard on fuel economy but I’m also wondering if idling for 15 minutes every morning is too long? Will that length of time cuase cylinder wash down? 

• Owner
2 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I’m also wondering if idling for 15 minutes every morning is too long?

Way too long... 1-3 minutes tops. Typically I would fire up and be rolling fairly soon afterwards. My problem for me is that I'm stuck waiting for @MoparMom down in Ontario, OR in cold at +10*F last night I wasn't going to shut down. I left the engine run, heater on and the exhaust brake on just to keep the pyro up so the engine wouldn't cool. This is enough to absolutely kill my MPG's with 30 minutes of idle time. Idle time without speed is very non-productive. 

17 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Way too long... 1-3 minutes tops. Typically I would fire up and be rolling fairly soon afterwards. My problem for me is that I'm stuck waiting for @MoparMom down in Ontario, OR in cold at +10*F last night I wasn't going to shut down. I left the engine run, heater on and the exhaust brake on just to keep the pyro up so the engine wouldn't cool. This is enough to absolutely kill my MPG's with 30 minutes of idle time. Idle time without speed is very non-productive. 

Is it not hard on it too take off before engine is warm? Obviously when I get the high idle switch warm up time will drop 

• Owner

I typically attempt to bring the coolant temp up to about 60-100*F I'm gone. It's now no different than a summer morning start and take off. Way too many wait for heat or the coolant gauge to rise. 

Like yesterday morning. I timed it right. I fired up pulled the truck out of the garage. Set the 3 CYL high idle. Continued to pack MoparMom and any myself for the day. By the time I was locking the front door and ready to head out in the +10*F weather the truck was warmed up to 150*F still on 3 CYL. Cancelled and rolled on. I never attempt to completely warm up but in my case MoparMom being 81 she thin skinned and can't stand the bitter cold so having just a bit of heat in the cab isn't bad and kept my idle time to minimum.

8 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I typically attempt to bring the coolant temp up to about 60-100*F I'm gone. It's now no different than a summer morning start and take off. Way too many wait for heat or the coolant gauge to rise. 

Like yesterday morning. I timed it right. I fired up pulled the truck out of the garage. Set the 3 CYL high idle. Continued to pack MoparMom and any myself for the day. By the time I was locking the front door and ready to head out in the +10*F weather the truck was warmed up to 150*F still on 3 CYL. Cancelled and rolled on. I never attempt to completely warm up but in my case MoparMom being 81 she thin skinned and can't stand the bitter cold so having just a bit of heat in the cab isn't bad and kept my idle time to minimum.

I defiantly need the switch. This has to have something to do with my low fuel eco too. 

5 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

yea you are idling WAY to long.  I typically give her 30 seconds on a close start to stablize oil pressure and rpms at idle before I take off.  all you are doing is burning fuel.  

Well I’ll be darned! I always thought it was very hard on them to take off while cold. 

I'm surprised to hear that you guys just get in and go. I always have this guilty feeling if I drive before things are warmed up. I guess I just always assumed it could do damage. I use my ears a lot when I drive, and when I hear something different, I assume something is wrong, or in danger. I never thought about just not driving it hard...:lol2: