• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Battery jumping

Yes...I was thinking about any problems with stray elec going somewhere it shouldn't or doing any harm.  

Service manual between "Charging" and "Battery" section is over 50 pages.  Probably good reason being so long.  Owners manual has good pic of "jumping".  

I'm still in bathrobe also.

• 2 weeks later...

Maby unless there is a lot of draw then you could do some damage. Like cook alternator or overload something, I truly hate to even think about using my truck to jump or even use my winch, which I did few times its just a thought that if something did happen what problems you left to deal with and cost associated with it. I suppose it's good to ask few questions about other vehicle before jumping it, like if it just died going down the road I don't know if I'd even want to crank it, could be busted timing belt or something, usually cars don't just stop because of dead battery. Imo. But if something sat over night and it ran fine day before then it got cold, then I don't see why not give it a boost. 

• Thanks 1

• Owner

During the time your discharging the batteries and attempting to start the engine the chemical reaction inside the batteries that are producing power are also producing hydrogen gases. So if you happen to hook up to the negative post on the dead battery first and get an arc it possible for an explosion to occur.