• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

High idle harness

19 minutes ago, Allen120 said:

Does the Moparman harness need 12 volts since I have not seen any videos with people hooking up 12volts 

now have the harness in and I got a check engine light and a little drop in rpms into 6 cylc mode and then in 3 it almos like u bump the key in the truck  and as soon as it's switched into the 3cylc and cut the fuel for a half a second and runs normal

What codes? Did you clear codes after installing the switch?  Disconnecting the IAT and ECT sensors while the truck has power can trip codes.

Please tell us what IAT and ECT read in each setting

Off: ect =   Iat =

MPG: ect =   Iat =

6 cyl: ect =   Iat =

3 Cyl: ect =   Iat =

Also how are you selecting the different modes?  

Did you buy the switch through the site?  

Can you drive to a parts store and borrow their code scanner?  you really need to clear the codes and see if they come back.  We see a TON of guys saying they have CEL's after install because the ecm didn't like it when they unplugged the stock sensors to plug in the harness.  

The engine will "blip" when you switch between modes as the ecm commands different fueling for different IAT and ECT's. 

37 minutes ago, Allen120 said:

now have the harness in and I got a check engine light and a little drop in rpms into 6 cylc mode and then in 3 it almos like u bump the key in the truck  and as soon as it's switched into the 3cylc and cut the fuel for a half a second and runs normal

I am not really clear on if you actually have an issue or not at this point.  

31 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Sorry but I dont understand what you are saying.  does the code come back after you clear it? Or does the truck not high idle?   

@Mopar1973Man did he get the switch through you?  

No code now and no high idle at all I ordered the kit from the Mopar1973Man page just before x-mas and I got it this week

Sounds like you need to enable the ecm high idle function.  

The dealer can do this or a smarty s03 can do it.  

Once that is enabled then you will see a ramp up in idle rpm if conditions are met.  The high idle switch let's you fool that function whenever.  It will take ~2 minutes of idleing for the high idle to fully kick in.

We liked the tab to the install directions and that ad.

@Mopar1973Man @Me78569 just put this (high quality:thumb1:) harness in and just wondering where you guys hid the resistors, if not a secret. Is it built in the switch someplace or hiding in the wireing behind shrink wrap, curiosity got me :think::think::think: soon I'll find out if my ecm is enabled :shifty: 

Edit: Another thing I was wondering about are leds how can a guy even see them if they're behind dash, I suppose you could drill a small hole on the side and maybe it will be enough to see it at night, I personally think just eliminate it all together along with two wires that powerI them, just a thought. :shrug:

Edited by Dieselfuture

The resistors are small and on the PCB board around the switch itself.  PITA to soldier.  

a secondary hole is to be used if you want to see the LED.  people wanted the LEDS so we built them in.  but I am with you, I dont use the LED.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Owner
10 hours ago, Me78569 said:

The resistors are small and on the PCB board around the switch itself. PITA to soldier.

:whistle2: No joke I've even tired. But the three resistors are near the logo on the circuit board. Very very small. 

But looking back... The first version... Very crude but the first functional high idle kit was actually 3 switches this shows the 4 switch for the MPG mode. Most people had issues with this style because you had to have a sense of logic to use the switch correctly. 

Image result for high idle kit mopar1973man

Then the Ed Grafton version. Had flaws with switch failures and wasn't repairable because of the method it was assembled. Ed soldered his resistors right to the switch itself which the weight of the cable caused the failure typically pulling the contacts out of the switch. 

Image result for high idle kit mopar1973man

Now the Version 2 series... Fixed many issues, switch failures, easily rebuildable and repairable. Harness is separate and makes it easier for installation.  Added a lock out for 3 CYL mode so it couldn't be used on a warm engine. Simplest design yet plug N play and all the logic is taken care in the switch now. 

DSCF4293.JPG.858e2c2a421c236a1cb29474523

• Like 1