• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 to 2002 Steering upgrade

• Owner
23 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

265 / 75 R16

10.4331 Inches / 75% of 10.4331 = 7.82 inches R16

10.4" / 7.82" R16 (american measurement)

235 / 85 R16

9.25 / 85% of 9.25 = 7.86 inches R16

9.25" / 7.86" R16

7.86 - 7.82 = 0.04 inches 

1mm = 0.039 inches

Yes, 235's  are 1mm taller. For the 265/75 R16 vs 235/85 R16

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Owner

Hence what I said...

13 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

What a joke is Cooper STT's and Toyo M/T those are jokes. Extremely heavy, tire poor ice/snow traction. Then to top it off roughly a 2-3 MPG lost because of rotational mass is more and rolling resistance is high from the tread pattern. Top it really good is the price typically over $1,000 for tires nope not me... Never again...

The funny part I see about tires and wheel all the time is people buying wheels and tires that are much bigger than factory just for the "Cool Factor". So now what have you done?

• Reduced your final gear ratio
  • Increased the rolling resistance
  • Increased the rotational mass of the tire
  • Reduced MPG's
  • Increased overall cost of replacement
  • Increased wear on brakes
  • Shorten lifespan of front end part and steering gear.

It might not have the "Cool Factor" but I've got more money in my pockets and less failure with the front axles and brakes. 

• Very minor change to final ratio (1 Rev/mile difference)
  • Reduced rolling resistance because of less tread face on the ground and using A/T tread and not an M/T tread.
  • Improved ice and snow traction.
  • Reduced the rotational mass by at least 25 pounds per tire!
  • Increased MPG's (Record is 27.2 MPG hand math)
  • Reduced cost of replacement this set cost me $580 bucks for the 235/85 R16 Hankook.
  • Reduced wear on the brakes not having to stop that rotational mass spinning on the axles. (Brakes are replaced for the first time at 185k)
  • Extended the life of all the front end parts and steering gear. (Still got factory OEM Tierods, gearing gear and power steering pump)
Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

I have 4:10s and I wish I could reduce rpms. 

35s but front end won't be happy, along other things 

14 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

LOL! What tires have you guys had good success with?

Free always good lol, but seriously seems like more expensive is not always better when it comes to tires. I have toyo open country and not too impressed, they're good just not as good as the hype.

I did liked nitto terra grappler, may be my next set again, but I think they were only D rated so not sure there. Might try something different too, still early to decide my tires got more than 3/4 life left. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Hence what I said...

The funny part I see about tires and wheel all the time is people buying wheels and tires that are much bigger than factory just for the "Cool Factor". So now what have you done?

• Reduced your final gear ratio
  • Increased the rolling resistance
  • Increased the rotational mass of the tire
  • Reduced MPG's
  • Increased overall cost of replacement
  • Increased wear on brakes
  • Shorten lifespan of front end part and steering gear.

It might not have the "Cool Factor" but I've got more money in my pockets and less failure with the front axles and brakes. 

• Very minor change to final ratio (1 Rev/mile difference)
  • Reduced rolling resistance because of less tread face on the ground and using A/T tread and not an M/T tread.
  • Improved ice and snow traction.
  • Reduced the rotational mass by at least 25 pounds per tire!
  • Increased MPG's (Record is 27.2 MPG hand math)
  • Reduced cost of replacement this set cost me $580 bucks for the 235/85 R16 Hankook.
  • Reduced wear on the brakes not having to stop that rotational mass spinning on the axles. (Brakes are replaced for the first time at 185k)
  • Extended the life of all the front end parts and steering gear. (Still got factory OEM Tierods, gearing gear and power steering pump)

This should be put I tontje articles section. Very good reminder mike thank you.

But Mike, cool is everything! :wink:

I'm fairly impressed with the Toyo MT's we put on the wifes Jeep last summer.  We haven't had any issues in the rain or snow, it handles as well as the OEM Duelers it came with.  The wider wheels drastically improved braking stability as well.  That wrangler would get real squirrely on a hard stop with the skinny stockers. My coopers are great off road, silent on the street but sketchy on the ice. 

I've always run larger tires without much issue.  My last F-250 IDI with the TTB, I replaced everything with quality parts, maintained them and didn't beat on them like they owed me money.  That truck maintained it's alignment perfectly the whole time I owned it.  I like to build sturdy then treat it like fine china...as opposed to my brother who builds cheap then flogs it to death.  That being said, it's still a truck and does what it's built for, I tow and haul every chance I get.  :burnout2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

But Mike, cool is everything! :wink:

I'm fairly impressed with the Toyo MT's we put on the wifes Jeep last summer.  We haven't had any issues in the rain or snow, it handles as well as the OEM Duelers it came with.  The wider wheels drastically improved braking stability as well.  That wrangler would get real squirrely on a hard stop with the skinny stockers. My coopers are great off road, silent on the street but sketchy on the ice. 

I've always run larger tires without much issue.  My last F-250 IDI with the TTB, I replaced everything with quality parts, maintained them and didn't beat on them like they owed me money.  That truck maintained it's alignment perfectly the whole time I owned it.  I like to build sturdy then treat it like fine china...as opposed to my brother who builds cheap then flogs it to death.  That being said, it's still a truck and does what it's built for, I tow and haul every chance I get.  :burnout2:

How many miles on your coopers?

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I wore them nearly out at 25k and sold them with 25% tread just to get rid of them. Got tired of the constant loss of MPG over a heavy tire. Cooper's where closer to 90 pounds per tire 265/75 R16.

The question was directed at @Sycostang67 but thanks for sharing your experience! :thumb1:

• Haha 1