• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well I have done everything I think possiable, it has come down to bitting the bullet and buy a vp from Blue Chip Diesel. The people I have been dealing with rebuild junk. I have learned a lot about the famous vp junk in a bucket. More is being revealed day by day as our trucks get age on them. He is going to give me a fair deal I think, he says if the pump does not fix my problem just box it back up and send it back for full refund.Here is some hind site for ya, if you lose two pumps and they are not in warranty your expense just cost you what it would if you had ppumped it to start with. The chance of you going thru two pumps is highly likely. I know somebody is going to post I have half a million miles on mine and I will tell you I been thru 3 in 5 mounths and a total of 5 pumps all together.Anyway the biggest thing I learned is no one out here knows crap about the vp and its posiable symptoms, you can here all sorts of problems. The only way to monitor what is going on with it is thru voltage in the wire blue with red strip. Now find someone that has the experince in doing that and wont charge you both arms and a leg. You may say try somebody that is not so expensive, well when you been thru as many as I have shopping is not high on my list anymore. I can tell you this, my son and I make a real good tag team when it comes to changing a pump.lol

I have a friend who has a 1999 Ram 3500 that he and I suspect the VP is going bad on. He is planning on buying the Blue Chip Special X pump to replace the VP on his truck. These Blue Chip VP pumps cost nearly twice as much as many others out there. With a failure rate as high as what you posted, I can't say as I blame you for wanting to go with the Blue Chip pump. Blue Chip claims to use all new components so this may be worth the extra money but who knows?

Your right who knows thats the question. You know if we can put a man on the moon, well some say we didnt, looks like someone could fix this. Here is the real kicker, you say to your self ECM but the problem there is it dont control squat when it comes to the symptoms your having. I almost bought new inj. just because it is the cheapest thing to do. It does have a slite miss, not a miss but random flutter I guess you could call it.

I have a blue chip pump, I know I paid more, but I did get piece of mind that Chip puts new parts and a new $600.00 computer on every pump. Alot of people might have gotten lucky with the $1000 pump, but reading Chips web site made me decide his pump is the way to go. I tell you one thing, he don't like how other vendors use his information, and at the same time discredit him. To me he is one of the early pioneers of the VP. :thumbup2:

If and when you get the Blue Chip pump, I would be interested in your impressions of the Blue Chip compared to the pump you remove as well as the difference in operation and performance. Are you going to get the standard Blue Chip or Special X?

Went with the standard replacement. I can tell you this there is a definete differance in the pumps that I have replaced in the past.When I started the truck with Blue Chip pump I said to my self I fixed it you could here that much differance. But guess what it still ain't fixed, still surge's. So onward to the injectors and cross over tubes. Oh Michael, and I bought a used ecm just encase it's not fuel related.lol Going with Dynamite 50hp injectors and new cross over tubes.

Hate to tell you this, but I was kind of doubting your 100th VP was going to be the lucky pump. I think you definitely have a problem elsewhere, that is beyond an internet solution. I would get that truck over to a Cummins repair center for at least an analysis?

This does not directly apply to your case but I'll bore you with a story. Long ago, in a previous life, I was a boat mechanic. One customer's boat drove me nuts... a 28 footer with a single gas engine V8 based on a Ford 289. I'd set everything to spec & he'd go out for an hour & come back in with it sputtering. I marked the distributor & carb screws so I'd know if he or one of his buddies had messed with it. (I was convinced they had.) NOPE.I had to tell him there was something wrong with it but I could not find it. I freed it up & winched it out. (Backed into our lift pier, we could put the extended forks of our off road fork lift under his fixed hard top as a sky hook. We used a chain fall to raise it above the cockpit, then walked the boat out from under it.) We put it in the back of his truck. He took it to a rebuilder who rebocked it & reinstalled all his marine gear in a week. The guy took his boat on vacation.Before he got back, the rebuilder called looking for him. The message was something like "What's he trying to do? Stick me with a dead core?" The rebuilder had gotten the block almost through the process before he found cracks in the block between the cam & main journals. When it felt like it, the block would flex & all the settings would change.I spent the next year crawking around in the bilge replacing the rebuilders steel freeze plugs as they failed in the raw water (salt) cooled engine.Now that I think on it... I recall my Chevy C30, 454. I had it in a shop when I couldn't make it run right. Neither could they. I finally found it had thrown a push rod & had had a hung valve (why it failed). Some things don't throw codes. When all else fails, go back to basics.I wish you luck,Russ

• Staff

Hate to tell you this, but I was kind of doubting your 100th VP was going to be the lucky pump. I think you definitely have a problem elsewhere, that is beyond an internet solution. I would get that truck over to a Cummins repair center for at least an analysis?

I would have to agree with that. Are you getting feedback on why the others are failing? Do you fuel from the same spot? How's your voltage? Could you have a bad voltage regulator.... heck I could go on and on with what if's... I suggest you take it in as well!

Gota shoot at it one more time, replacing the injectors and cross over tubes. Injectors been rebuilt twice I know of and cross over tubes where used. Just putting new parts to be sure, cant hurt. I found a fairly new ecm out of a 02 5 speed. Going to keep for a back up just incase, just incase that's not it either.lol

Gota shoot at it one more time, replacing the injectors and cross over tubes. Injectors been rebuilt twice I know of and cross over tubes where used. Just putting new parts to be sure, cant hurt. I found a fairly new ecm out of a 02 5 speed. Going to keep for a back up just incase, just incase that's not it either.lol

:thumbup2: Glad to see you moving on to other things, I hope one of these parts turns out to be the culprit for you. Do you have a 5 speed in you truck? Not sure you can use that ECM for an Auto.

• Owner

:thumbup2: Glad to see you moving on to other things, I hope one of these parts turns out to be the culprit for you. Do you have a 5 speed in you truck? Not sure you can use that ECM for an Auto.

I just resently got him to double check and make sure he got the right flash on his current ECM... (No dice)

got my pump from mwfi.com..one year warranty unlimited miles...dan said that everyone of the vp's have a new computer up top.when does it surge? driving down the hiway with cruise on?and or useing foot feed? idleing?could a seal or something broke or cracked be the problem..letting air in?