• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

How hard is it to install a PAC Brake? Think I may be buying one, after I got reading I wonder if I bit off more than I can chew with the install :rolleyes:

If you can turn a wrench you can install a PacBrake. A lot depends on which one you get, mine replaced the 45 degree elbow on the turbo, A switch on the accelerator peddle, a vacuum valve under the hood, a simple toggle switch, and a tap into the vacuum system. Not sure about the install for the newer compressed air driven units though.

Just post pics of everything you need help with and we can walk you through it. I don't think it would be that hard and even though you might see it as a challenge now, I think it will be something you really like when it's all said and done. Not like you ever read "I put an exhaust brake on my truck and now I hate it".. That fact alone makes me think they are worth the investment.

How hard is it to install a PAC Brake? Think I may be buying one, after I got reading I wonder if I bit off more than I can chew with the install :rolleyes:

When a friend and I did my Cummins eBrake, I think the most difficult part was de-pinning and re-pinning the plug to the ECM and locating, cutting the insulation, and drilling the firewall for the vaccum valve. We ran into a bit of head scratching on just how to wire the on/off switch function on the dash as we added the Cummin "stalk switch" to the shifter and had to run the wiring to the stalk switch from the master on/off switch on the dash. I just leave the eBrake master switch on and use the shifter stalk switch. I LOVE this exhaust brake and have come to use it as much if not more than the truck service brakes.

finally finished putting in the jake. it doesn't pull the truck down as much as everbody makes it out to.I still have to use the brakes quite a bit. does sound cool though at higher rpms.this shouldn't need exhuast springs like the 12ver right?

Not familiar with how the PAC brake performs but on the Cummins/Jacobs exhaust brake, they are pretty much fairly effective above 1,500 rpm and really get into their effectivness range at 2,000 on up. I like being able to deploy the ebrake on hills to keep from riding the brakes especially on long down hill runs with a load. Makes a big improvement in my opinion.

• Staff

anyone know where i can find/download the Jake exhuast brake installation manual? found one on ebay for pretty cheap and there's this red wire with a pin terminal. i hooked it up to just straight vacuum and it works good!

you can also find them all at www.jakebrake.com

finally finished putting in the jake. it doesn't pull the truck down as much as everbody makes it out to. I still have to use the brakes quite a bit. does sound cool though at higher rpms. this shouldn't need exhuast springs like the 12ver right?

It takes a little more planning and a little more time, but they do an amazing job of stopping. If you think yours may be too low then hook your boost gauge up to your pyro port (needs 6' of copper to cool off), or to the port in the brake itself and make sure your getting the pressure.. should hit about 60 at 2500+ rpms.. No need for springs on your truck, 2nd and 3rd gens have 60# springs stock.

• 1 month later...

MoparMan, (or anyone else )you know anything about this brake or where I can find some info on it? I'm wondering if it runs off of truck vaccuum or how it hooks up? Emailed the guy selling ti but he knows little about it. I looked hoping to find a model number in the pic but I can't see any to do a search http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-2nd-gen-all-products/310888-nib-mopar-jake-brake-kit.html#post3317551

It runs off of vaccum. You will have to cut out some firewall insulation and apply a template to mark drilling holes for the the vaccum manifold. You will have to de-pin and re-pin the ECM cannon plug and run the wiring through the firewall. It is about a 6 hour job, maybe a little less for others. $750 is an outrage of a high price. Maybe prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine, but I paid about $600 a couple of years ago. Here is a little bit of tech poop on what kind of breaking power they will produce for you: https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/qsol/products/newparts/jacobs_md_nondodge.html I purchased my Cummins eBrake from Cummins S.E. Power 1-800-733-6101. Ask for Wendy (if she is still there) I believe the eBrake kit Cummins part # is: 4090046 I STRONGLY recommend installing the stalk switch on the gear shifter, it has the cool looking Cummins logo and is a LOT more natural to use. The Cummins part # is: 4089657 You will have to wire it in with the exhaust brake master switch and leave the master on all the time and use the stalk switch to turn on and off.

post-42-138698168986_thumb.jpg

post-42-138698168992_thumb.jpg