• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Turbo blanket?

46 minutes ago, mopar440cu said:

Are you saying you are running without the tappped wire that goes to the VP44 from the adrenaline? I didnt know you could run it like that?:shrug:

That ^^^ and with bigger injectors you really won't need to get in to wire tap that much, I hardly use it myself canbus is almost plenty of power. Now with stock injectors you'll need to use both.

3 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

That ^^^ and with bigger injectors you really won't need to get in to wire tap that much, I hardly use it myself canbus is almost plenty of power. Now with stock injectors you'll need to use both.

Wow cool. So, do you think I could get away with not tapping the IP with my 110 injectors and just the HY35 for now until I get a better turbo?

1 minute ago, mopar440cu said:

Wow cool. So, do you think I could get away with not tapping the IP with my 110 injectors and just the HY35 for now until I get a better turbo?

With hy35 you're definitely won't need to tap it, in fact you're starting point for canbus will be in high 70s low 80s

• Owner
1 hour ago, mopar440cu said:

Are you saying you are running without the tappped wire that goes to the VP44 from the adrenaline? I didnt know you could run it like that?:shrug:

Yes sir. I ran that way so I wouldn't void the VP44 warranty right off. Just ran level 3 tunes and never bother to configure the wiretap settings of my tunes. Now with the wiretap hooked up I'm only using between 1,200us to 1,400us of wiretap pulse. Beyond that it just becomes excessively smoky.

On 3/26/2018 at 12:22 AM, Tractorman said:

I have a heat blanket covering the exhaust manifold, turbo charger (exhaust side), exhaust down pipe, oil pan, and valve cover. This heat blanket is designed to easily withstand temperatures well above 2,000 degrees F., so the material does not deteriorate. The  heat blankets were custom made and installed by Advanced Thermal Products in Irvine, CA

The engine compartment runs considerably cooler, the seals in the exhaust brake vacuum cylinder no longer get scorched, and the passenger side floor now stays cool when pulling a long grade on a hot day.  My wife likes that.  I also removed the homemade heat shield protecting the BHAF as it is no longer necessary.

There are noise reduction benefits, as well.  The raucous idle clatter is subdued when standing outside of the vehicle as well as when sitting inside or driving down the road with the windows up or down.  My wife likes that, too. 

The purpose for covering the valve cover and oil pan was for engine noise reduction only.  The purpose for covering the exhaust components was for heat reduction in the engine compartment.  There was some noise reduction benefit, as well.

I can't make any claims as to the turbo spooling faster or that it is more efficient, but the turbo performs well (spools up early) and EGT's stay under 1200 degrees on a long grade pulling hard.  This is with stock injectors and the Smarty programmer set  on SW5 with default timing and fuel duration.

As far as turbo cool down, it is always below 350 degrees by the time I park the truck, so I don't treat the cool down period any differently than I did before the heat blanket installation..

I can't compare EGT before and after the exhaust blanket installation because I had the EGT gauge and Smarty installed after the exhaust blankets.  The blankets have been in use for over 45,000 miles and over two years.  In my opinion the benefits are  worth the money.

- John

How noise reduction?  

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my turbo soc and manifold blanket from Turbo Performance. I have to say they are well built and very stout. When I put them on when my new turbo comes and I will post pics. I will also give you some info on EGT's.

IMG_1545.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1550.JPG

IMG_1549.JPG

IMG_1546.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...